7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 1:39 PM by ashbatch

Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog

ashbatch

I really hope this all makes sense...

I first bought and installed Lightroom 2 in 2009 and set up my catalog on an external hard drive. (We'll call this hard drive "HD1")

I upgraded my Lightroom to LR4 in 2011 (When I got my MacBook Pro) and had to create a new catalog for my new version of LR. (Still on HD1)

In 2013 I upgraded to LR5 on my MacBook Pro, which required a new catalog. (On a new hard drive-- HD2)

March 2015 I purchased an iMac and transferred Lightroom 5 and all of my catalogs to my new computer. (Still using HD2)

I've been using my LR5 catalog on my iMac with HD2 since March and have been alright. Last night, I plugged HD1 into my iMac to find a few old files. Now my Lightroom is pulling up the user info for my MacBook Pro and I can't access my iMac desktop. It's also not reading the files on HD2 correctly.

This is some of the troubleshooting I've done:

-Restarted my iMac

-Ejected HD2, Restarted iMac, Reopened LR5

-Renamed my User Name, Account Name and Home Folder on my iMac

-Updated the folder location for my home folder and the desktop

I do NOT have a recent backup of my catalog. (The most recent I have is from October of 2013.)

I really want to go back to the previous state... just yesterday!

Does anyone have advice on what I can or should try next?

Thank you!

-Ashley

P.S. I'll definitely be doing a backup on exit from now on!!!

• 1. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
          ashbatch Level 1

If anyone has any ideas on what I can do to fix this, I'd really appreciate it!

I'm getting really frustrated and upset that I can't figure this out. :-(

Thanks,

Ashley

• 2. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
            dj_paige Level 9

Now my Lightroom is pulling up the user info for my MacBook Pro and I can't access my iMac desktop.

I don't understand this. I don't know what "pulling up" means in Lightroom terms. Explain in much more detail. MUCH MORE DETAIL! Do not use colloquial words like "pulling up", instead use the name of the function in Lightroom that is performing the task, or the Lightroom screen where you see this happening. Or show us a screen capture or two.

I do NOT have a recent backup of my catalog. (The most recent I have is from October of 2013.)

Huge mistake. Do not continue this practice. Make regular, automated backups of your catalog file AND photos, and be sure that the backups go to a different physical disk than the originals.

• 3. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
              ashbatch Level 1

By pulling up, I mean the files/folders shown in "Folders" under Macintosh HD are from my MacBook Pro, not my iMac. It's not displaying the items (files and folders) on my current iMac desktop.

screen-capture-2.png

dj_paige wrote:

Huge mistake. Do not continue this practice. Make regular, automated backups of your catalog file AND photos, and be sure that the backups go to a different physical disk than the originals.

I am aware that I made a mistake, I admit that. Thank you for the advice.

• 4. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
                dj_paige Level 9

By pulling up, I mean the files/folders shown in "Folders" under Macintosh HD are from my MacBook Pro, not my iMac. It's not displaying the items (files and folders) on my current iMac desktop.

Which is which? Please explain. Is the screen capture of your operating system showing the MBP or the iMac? Is Lightroom showing the folders from the MBP or the iMac? What do you expect to see? What is the correct result?

• 5. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
                  ashbatch Level 1

I am currently on my iMac. Lightroom is showing the hard drive for my laptop, NOT for my iMac.

I have been using Lightroom on my iMac since March and have not used LR on my MBP. I had a backup of my MBP on my external HD (HD1). I'm assuming that when I opened LR while HD1 was plugged into my iMac, it restored LR to how it was saved on my MBP on HD1.

HD1 is no longer plugged in, only HD2 with my current photos and files.

When I try to "Update folder location..." of my "Users" folder, the menu shows my current iMac Users folder. After selecting "Choose," LR does not update the location of the folder to my iMac Users folder. It is still showing files and folders from my MBP Users folder.

• 6. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
                    dj_paige Level 9

The most likely explanation in my mind is that somehow (accidentally) you have opened the wrong catalog, not the iMac catalog but the MBP catalog.

You need to find the different catalog files on all of your hard disks (have your operating system do a search for files whose name ends with .LRCAT), and then open each one of them by double-clicking on each one until you open the one with the folders and photos that you want.

• 7. Re: Lightroom 5 Catalog HELP | 2 hard drives, 2 computers, 1 catalog
                      ashbatch Level 1

GOOD NEWS!

I searched my iMac for files ending in .lrcat and (accidentally) clicked on one of the files that was downloaded LR5... which virtually restarted LR and somehow "reread" my iMac hard drive. Now everything is back to normal!

Thank you for your time and your advice!