9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 5:19 AM by Steve Grisetti

Freezes when opening a text element

jmraibaut

APE 12 is very slow (freezes during about 30 seconds) when I try to open a text element (including a single picture).

On the picture below, at this point of the timeline, I only have an audio track, a video track and a text track below the one I am trying to open.

freeze.JPG

• 1. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

What operating system are you using?

What processor does your computer have and how much RAM do you have?

Is there a yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline, above your video clips? This would indicate a mismatch between your video and your project settings, which can very much dog your computer.

• 2. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
            jmraibaut Level 1

Hi Steve,

thanks for your quick answer.

This is a corporate computer, Lenovo T440, Windows 7 enterprise service pack 1, quadcore i7-4600 @2,1 2,7 Ghz, 8 GB RAM

Yes, there is a yellow orange line all along the part I export plus an other part I deactivated (screenshot below). All parts I don't export were deactivated, but it does not make any difference.

My project is stored on a external HDD drive, lacie mini rugged @5400 rpm through USB 3.0, but it does not seem to be the problem, no access during this waiting time.

Below a screenshot of the Windows task manager, during the 30 seconds long opening of the text I want to edit, RAM consumptions slowly increases (but still with a lot of free RAM), then suddenly decreases. CPU a little bit high (around 25% average for 4 procs) but OK.

orange_timeline.JPG
            task_manager.JPG

• 3. Re: Freezes when opening a text element

Your computer is certainly powerful enough to run this program. But you do have a mismatch between the video and your project settings that is causing things to dog.

Normally the program will read your video specs and automatically set the program up to match them -- but is sometimes unable to do that with MOV files.

Open a sample clip of your video in a program like G Spot or Media Info and note the resolution, frame rate and,above all, the audio and video codecs that are listed. Once we know that, we can manually set up your project to match those specs. (You can see your settings in the Project Settings under the Edit menu.)

Also, do make sure you have the latest version of Quicktime installed, per the program's system requirements. This will ensure that you have the necessary codecs to interpret your video.

• 4. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
                jmraibaut Level 1

Steve,

indeed, I only have mov files in this project.

I updated QuickTime to the latest version, no improvement.

Media Info tells me full HD / 25 frames / s and AVC for the video track, which I can not find in the project settings. The rest was already OK.

media_info.JPG

• 5. Re: Freezes when opening a text element

What are your Project Settings, as listed under the Edit menu?

• 6. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
                    jmraibaut Level 1

My project settings seem to match the videos format, see below (sorry, in French, but I think you'll recognize the different fields).

setting1.JPG

setting2.JPG

setting3.JPG

• 7. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
                      jmraibaut Level 1

In the meantime, I moved my project to the internal SDD drive to make sure this was not due to the external drive, no difference.

And I created a new project removing all the unused videos (which by the way were already deactivated), see before / after screenshots below.

So in this new project, only 21 of the 39 .mov videos (27 GB) are used, instead of 35 before.

There are 2 differences :

- APE Project opening (starting from APE closed) : 70 s in former project, 37 s in new project

- Double click on title for edition (the same one in both cases) : about 30 s in former project, 15 s in new project

So it looks like editing a title considers all the video included in the project, not only the one under the cursor.

It also looks like deactivating videos does not make any performance difference for APE.

projet2.JPG

projet3.JPG

• 8. Re: Freezes when opening a text element
                        jmraibaut Level 1

Last test : I removed the unused videos (20) from the project resources : No difference on the project opening duration and title opening duration.

• 9. Re: Freezes when opening a text element

As an experiment, start a new project and, on the New Project panel, click the Settings button.

In the Project Settings panel, select the preset for PAL/Full AVCHD. Click OK and then, on the New Project panel, check the option to Force Project Settings.

Try adding some of your video to this project's timeline. Do you still see the yellow-orange line along the top of the timeline, above the clips?