1 2 Previous Next 42 Replies Latest reply on Jul 27, 2015 4:27 PM by Todd_Kopriva

Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

martinc13962311 Level 1

Hate to say I told you so.... For months now we have been promised this fabled upgrade to After Effects, the version that will finally get rid of all the well documented issues on a mac... What did I say would happen... That's right nothing!

It's coming in March... No wait May... It's ok we will suspend your subscription until it works!!! Guess I will be cancelling the CC membership then.

Well summer is here and guess what, no upgrade and another 4 months have passed with After Effects still not working!

• 1. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
          Bulk001

They seem to have fallen back to their previous corporate culture of 2 big releases a year but instead of getting to keep the software, you now just rent it. The idea behind CC I though was that they could push out new features and bug fixes as soon as they were ready but instead it seems that they are holding back bug fixes to be released with the next release (the After Effects blog page for instance mentions bug fixes to Cineware 2.0.6 in the new release). Why not release bug fixes as they are fixed? Why not release a new feature as it is developed? I know it takes the "gee wiz look how cool we are" out of the dog and pony show at NAB but it would be much better for customers.

• 2. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
            Todd_Kopriva Level 8

No one said March or May. We said spring. It is still spring. We are in the process of testing and preparing the update.

• 3. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
              martinc13962311 Level 1

Were you on the call to customer service then? Don't remember hearing you...

When we spoke with customer service back at the beginning of the year we were told by end of May. Our subscription was refunded for the 3 months we would have to wait.

Don't mark yourself as a correct answer when as usual you know nothing!

• 5. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                DigitalSpatula Adobe Community Professional

Dude, you're so bitter. Take a chill pill.

Software development is no easy task. They are doing the best they can. The upcoming batch changes in AE are very deep and complicated and require recoding over million lines of code that is decades old. This a multiyear process that we'll benefit from for years to come but some patience (and understanding) is required.

BTW, just dropping in a fix or new feature is easy to say but hard to do. There's a potential huge domino effect with any code changes. Those changes require tons of testing and tweaking. I know because I use prerelease versions and have to deal with those dominos falling over. The Adobe folks work very hard to deliver a great feature set that's a stable as possible without taking a to of time to iron out every bug. They are very very connected to users and the conversations are very frank. Despite my wish for perfect software that does every last thing I want, it's obvious that they are working extremely hard on the user behalf to makes awesome software.

I work all day everyday in AE on a mac. The various bugs are slightly annoying but I still get my work done and enjoy it immensely.

Sounds like you might have other bigger issues that create stress in your life and you've found a target in Adobe because they might be a few days late on what they announced. I would suggest finding a way to enjoy the amazing things that AE allows you to do and not focus on a few bugs that might slow you down a bit. The fixes are coming very soon and Adobe will continue to create amazing software that allows us the opportunity and privilege to make cool stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to be in the conversation.

Steve

• 6. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                  martinc13962311 Level 1

Clean your nose, there is a little something on it...

Perhaps you would sound a little more angry if you spent thousands of pounds a year with Adobe, as we do.

These bugs aren't a little annoying, they cost us money... And people their jobs! Ram preview doesn't work... Importing elements stops working, requiring restart... Slow GUI.... Failed renders.... Importing image sequences still displays all frames instead of truncated sequences... Collect files doesn't work... AE is the single worst piece of software we use! And the reason people are annoyed is because the writing was on the wall years ago, and they did nothing!

Read the forums dude, I'm not alone....

• 7. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                    Bulk001 Level 1

"BTW, just dropping in a fix or new feature is easy to say but hard to do. There's a potential huge domino effect with any code changes. Those changes require tons of testing and tweaking. I know because I use prerelease versions and have to deal with those dominos falling over."

Hi Steve.

I could be wrong but I remember one of the big selling points of CC being that they could put out updates much quicker than under the previous model. If not, my apologies. As a side note to some of your other comments, while you may, I didn't ask for perfection; just updates and features to be pushed out when ready (they can test them fully, release them and then work on the next one), not held back as part of a big launch.

• 8. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                      Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Martin Cook wrote:

And summertime officially began Monday...

The official start of summer is June 21. So there are still nearly three weeks of spring left.

bulk oo1 wrote:

They seem to have fallen back to their previous corporate culture of 2 big releases a year but instead of getting to keep the software, you now just rent it.

They've done three different versions of CC 2014 in a year's time. CC had four different versions in a similar time period.

bulk oo1 wrote:

The idea behind CC I though was that they could push out new features and bug fixes as soon as they were ready

Close. Bug fixes were always being released as time went on. New FEATURES, on the other hand could NOT be released as they were ready before due to legal reasons.

It's a ridiculous legal minefield, but since Adobe is a publicly traded company, there are laws about what is and isn't allowed. One of the things that wasn't allowed was releasing features that haven't been paid for. (That's also why FaceTime on Mac was considered technically in "beta" for a long time. They weren't allowed to include it for free otherwise.) Adobe's subscription model means that they can release new features as they're ready instead of making you pay for the upgrade. Things like the Mask Tracker would have had to wait for the next major release rather than being given to us in the middle of the development cycle.

bulk oo1 wrote:

Why not release bug fixes as they are fixed?

Because bugs in code are evil little beasts. Fix one thing, and it can break something else. It often doesn't, but then again, it sometimes does too.

YOmDuDV.jpg

That's why bug fixes are bundled into releases. In order to keep AE running fairly crash-free on such a wide variety of systems, a lot of testing must happen. I don't know if you've seen the size of the After Effects team, but it's much smaller than you think it is. They can't afford to do all their testing for single bug fixes every time. They bundle many bug fixes together into point releases and test that one release. Thus fewer show-stopping bugs make it through.

bulk oo1 wrote:

Why not release a new feature as it is developed?

They have begun doing this as I mentioned earlier.

If you take a good look at how things used to be compared to now, new features and bug fixes ARE coming out at a faster pace. It may not be the imagined utopia we all had when we first heard of the CC model, but it has improved from times past.

Martin Cook wrote:

It's coming in March... No wait May...

Well summer is here and guess what, no upgrade and another 4 months have passed with After Effects still not working!

I know a misinformed customer service person may have said March or May, but I never heard anybody say any specific month. All Todd has said is "spring". In fact, Todd has hinted at this timeline for quite a while now. Anytime somebody asked, he told them to look at the past from when new features were announced at NAB to when they were released. That's traditionally been about midway through June.

• 9. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                        martinc13962311 Level 1

Summertime in the UK began Monday... And I'm telling you what Adobe told us directly on the phone... Why else would we have got a 3 month refund up until the end of May??? For fun? Generosity?

You miss completely the single most important point as always... No other software we use is this poor! All we hear is excuse after excuse... Photoshop isn't this badly coded! C4D? Maya? Modo? Nuke? Nope....

It comes down to the resourcing Adobe actively assigns to AE... Which simply isn't good enough!

If I ever gave a client this substandard a product I would be fired!!!

• 10. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                          Bulk001 Level 1

Hi Szalam

I don't know how to do the fancy quotes like you but will do my best ... 

"It may not be the imagined utopia we all had when we first heard of the CC model, but it has improved from times past."

Good to know that it isn't just me who had this exception then that has not really been realized (though maybe it is a little better than it was).

"I don't know if you've seen the size of the After Effects team, but it's much smaller than you think it is"

This is a bigger issues that I wish the leadership and board of Adobe would address and hire more people to the team as what this sounds like is that I should put up with delays in getting bug fixes out because Adobe is not investing enough in the AE/PP teams to do that, while still taking my money each month!

"I know a misinformed customer service person may have said March or May, but I never heard anybody say any specific month."

I agree that a date has never been set other than "soon" and don't have the same issues that the OP does. However, a word in his defense - have you actually ever worked with Adobe customer service? Often outsourced, often poor quality audio and often I have gotten the run around ... there have been times that it is enough to drive one a little crazy!

• 11. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                            martinc13962311 Level 1

Further to all this.... Anyone want to take a stab at how many bugs will be in the new version when it is finally released? There are going to be a lot of disappointed campers...

Did anyone ever get sacked at Adobe for wasting so much dev time on the ray-traced renderer? Class act those guys...

• 12. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                              Bulk001 Level 1

orchardpost30

Exactly what bug related issues are you having? Have you posted them here? Also, earlier in the thread you seemed to want the new update to help fix the issues you are having and now you are talking about new bugs coming. While I want them to release features and bug fixes, it is inevitable that there will be bugs in each release, conflicts with certain systems etc. It sounds like you guys use Nuke - could that be a replacement to AE for you?

• 13. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

Martin Cook wrote:

It comes down to the resourcing Adobe actively assigns to AE... Which simply isn't good enough!

I fully agree. Anger at Adobe for under-resourcing the After Effects team is perfectly understandable - I share some of those feelings. I just want to make sure nobody is pointing that anger at Todd who is working very hard to try to get a pretty major update of AE out the door soon with as few bugs as possible.

Martin Cook wrote:

No other software we use is this poor! All we hear is excuse after excuse... Photoshop isn't this badly coded! C4D? Maya? Modo? Nuke? Nope....

Actually, Modo is famously terrible with bugs and crashing. I mean, FAMOUS for crashing. Every Modo user I've talked with mentions their save-every-five-minutes mantra. Even Modo's latest "most stable release yet" has a large number of issues - see, for example, this forum thread. Granted, the new version is improved as far as crashing goes, but it's still pretty buggy.

Several of the biggest issues I've been hearing about AE such as RAM preview issues and dragging and dropping issues aren't even After Effects issues. Those two, specifically, are Yosemite problems that are on Apple.

The collect files bug, on the other hand, is just ridiculous and I really would have expected Adobe to fix that one by now. Although, if you don't touch your mouse at all, Collect Files works (unless your mouse is one of those optical ones that occasionally "moves" a bit on its own - i.e. most of them if the sensitivity is too high).

• 14. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

Martin Cook wrote:

Did anyone ever get sacked at Adobe for wasting so much dev time on the ray-traced renderer? Class act those guys...

Right? What a waste of time that was!

• 15. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                    martinc13962311 Level 1

I have filed bug reports, spoken on the phone to support... Put issues on the forum... You name it, we have tried it. It's across multiple macs... On and offsite.... We used to be part of the prerelease program, but any bug or feature request never got actioned. Too many yes men on and not enough hard truth. You pipe up and fan boys shout you down.

Do you not find the general responsiveness of AE pretty appalling? It barely uses the power of any of our machines and causes constant bottlenecks at the studio. Dealing with large CG sequences with thousands of frames and passes in a folder.... It literally takes AE 10 minutes to even open the folder! It sees them all as individual files! On Nuke it opens instantly and shows truncated scene numbers. AE simply struggles with basic commands like file import.

Szalem, I do understand the Yosemite issues... But why is it always AE that has the problems? We don't have RAM problems in Final Cut or Nuke. You already alluded to it earlier, they waited too long to rewrite AE from the ground up. It's a mish mash of code with not enough investment. I have used AE since 3.5... I have both loved and hated it over the years, but since CC there has been a complete disconnect between getting simple core functions to work. Too many gimmicks and not enough on funtionality. It's been massively frustrating and we have heavily invested in something that simply isn't fit for purpose any longer.

I would never expect perfection... I more than anyone want this new version to work... Just completely lost the faith.

• 16. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                      Bulk001 Level 1

Wow. You guys are a lot harder on the AE team than me! Someone on the team took a risk and evidently it didn't turn out to be useful (I have never used the ray-traced renderer or had it affect anybody's workflow here). I am want them to take a risk every now and then. I think that the character animator software is a big risk for them too but I am happy that they are taking it. It could turn out to be a novelty bust or something really great.

• 18. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                        martinc13962311 Level 1

Everybody told them not to bother with the raytrace renderer, just get C4D.... 3 years later.... C4D lite...

• 19. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                          martinc13962311 Level 1

I agree the character tool looks cool, but if this has been developed over spending time getting AE to actually just work.... Then it is a waste of time if I still can't view the beginning of my RAM previews or import files!!!

• 20. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                            Bulk001 Level 1

"You pipe up and fan boys shout you down."

I had this experience on the Premiere Pro forum before. Followed a link from the AE blog to here to see if there was an update on the release and happened to see your post.

Do you not find the general responsiveness of AE pretty appalling?

Thankfully we are not doing thousands of frames of intensive animation like you seem to be - more like bumpers, intros, short graphic effects type stuff mainly and have not had any serious workflow bugs recently though they will probably start the moment I submit this! But just because we don't though, I don't try deny that others do as one often finds on fan forums. Sounds like you are legitimately frustrated and hopefully the new update (we can't be that far from it being released now can we?) will fix it!

• 21. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                              Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Character Animator is made by a separate team. Their work doesn't subtract from work on After Effects.

> Then it is a waste of time if I still can't view the beginning of my RAM previews or import files!

You are referring to bugs introduced by an operating system. We have had to entirely rewrite the way that we do fundamental things to work around those bugs introduced by this operating system. It is not a small task.

• 22. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                martinc13962311 Level 1

Again... Why is it only AE that is having the RAM issue? Final Cut and Nuke don't... I can definitely view comps from the start in Nuke! First time!

So your real answer should be... "Our code is so old and patched worked we find it incredibly difficult to react to changes in Os upgrades". Stop blaming everyone but youeselves for not investing in AE sooner, that's half the problem... You guys spent so long denying the issue, people just don't trust you anymore. A defensive corporate attitude, deny everything.

Importing issues? Yosemite too? Did Apple make you stick with showing image sequences as thousands of files in a folder? Not truncated? Or collect files being broken? Or basically make AE slow and unusable? Did Apple tell you to tell your customers that AE was fully Yosemite ready? Or was that the bean counters there?

• 23. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

"Which simply isn't good enough!"

Move to a better product if you feel that way. It's a free market and you can buy and use whatever products you deem worthy of your hard earned cash.

BTW, you have no idea how large my company is or how much we spend on Adobe products. All I know is I use it all day every day and those bugs don't stop me and my staff from doing our jobs.

Steve

• 24. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                    martinc13962311 Level 1

I'm sure you understand it isn't that simple then Steve...

Some freelancers use AE, some use Nuke... Some use Fusion... Not really a choice easily fixed or flexible, we have to cater for all.

Good attitude though... I'm fine... Just don't use it... Genius.

Why don't you look around and see the issues other users are having. Pretty ignorant to assume your use of AE is fine so bad luck on the rest of you. Why are you even on the forum? Things slow?

• 25. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

Bitter. Really bitter. Personal attacks are such a weak way to make an argument. Are you 12 years old? Feels like junior high again.

I totally agreed with your first part about the variety of software needed in post situations. But you couldn't just stand on a good point.

My point had nothing to do with whether anybody is having issues, it was all about your lack of understanding and empathy towards the fine Adobe folks who are doing the best they can with the limited resources the mother ship is giving them. I agree with the assignment of resources being an issue but that's the world they have to live in and us as well.

I'm on the forums to answer questions for those folks willing to ask them. And of course to learn from those with knowledge I don't have (which is certainly a lot).

But, I'm done responding to your childish attacks that have nothing to do with the issues. Maybe your blood pressure will go down with me out of the discussion. My will. I have a ton of work to get back to. No need to waste my time arguing with a bully.

• 26. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                        martinc13962311 Level 1

Here we go again... That didn't take long... Another fanboy that is just after some kind of weird brownie points... Free software? No descent... No descent... This is off message!!!

How is it the customers fault that the team working on a program isn't big enough? That in fact was my point from the start. They take our money, they can take the criticism! I'm sure Adobe couldn't care less about anything said on here, and nor should they.

I know it's an an alien concept to certain countries.... But there are experiences in the world at large which don't always match theirs... That doesn't make them any less important or valid... The world doesn't revolve around you! As much as you wish it would...

I'm not having the issues so they don't count was the childish response...

Lets leave "the good folks" of Adobe to their work, I am sure this new release will be just ace!!! Jesus... What's happening to me...

• 28. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                          Todd_Kopriva Level 8

Stop the personal attacks. Any further post containing a personal attack will be deleted.

• 29. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                            martinc13962311 Level 1

So the day is here... And the big news is... Installation warnings being fired all over the internet!!! You have to click on a side bar to stop it uninstalling all over versions by default!!!

I actually don't have the words...

p.s. Still no truncated view of image sequences!

• 30. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                              Bulk001 Level 1

Hey orchardist 30 - from my posts it should be clear that I am no Adobe apologist but while there are issues, on their blog they do warn you about it and referred readers on how to prevent that and it seems from some other comments that they did not have a say in the default setting. Anyway, it seems you know about it so you can download it correctly and try it and see if it will finally fix your problems which is always nice!!!

• 31. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

orchardpost30 wrote:

So the day is here... And the big news is... Installation warnings being fired all over the internet!!! You have to click on a side bar to stop it uninstalling all over versions by default!!!

Those warnings are because the After Effects team asked people to spread the word. It's on their blog. In fact, it's mentioned in almost every blog post from the AE team, Premiere team, and Photoshop team (I haven't looked at the other software blog post yet because I'm at work and I have work-related things I'm meant to be doing...)

Seriously, this is the most important update to AE since CS5 went to 64-bit - arguably more so. It's setting the groundwork for some great things in the future (and has some nice benefits now).

The sun is shining, birds are singing, and we have a nice step in the right direction with our favorite software! Start enjoying life more!

• 32. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                  Bulk001 Level 1

Granted I am just playing around with the update on non production work but the new preview (once I wrap my head around it) is going to be huge! The ability to play a clip and make edits on the fly while it keeps playing is really cool.

• 33. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                    martinc13962311 Level 1

The subtleties of the English language are wasted on here... If restating the obvious were a prize you guys would win every time!

Spread the word... We have a big software release! And guess what thousands of people are going to be really annoyed when they hit "Upgrade". I never blamed the AE team, just another example of what a Mickey Mouse company Adobe are. This was a known issue for weeks and they left it in so they could show some sparkly stuff at a trade show. What about the customer? You know that group of people who pay you!!!

• 34. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                      martinc13962311 Level 1

It is cool that they have managed to get RAM preview to work after 10 years coding... Quite brilliant...

• 35. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                        martinc13962311 Level 1

Think we wait until at least the .2 patch before getting burnt this time...

• 36. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                          Bulk001 Level 1

Oh master of the English Language -  I'm happy to take the prize! There was no subtleties from you. You have complained about everything Adobe does starting with the fact that the 2014 version did not work for you and they had not released the promised version in time for spring where ever you are. That version is now out and instead of focusing on that to get your very important work done that has been held up for so long, you are here complaining about something new and will complain about this post in a few minutes. Seriously, Adobe is not for you. Just accept it and move on. You have Nuke which should be able to do much of what you do and it seems that you are happy with it.

• 38. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!
                                                                            martinc13962311 Level 1

I guess to answer my original question... This isn't the version of After Effects worth paying for! The user feedback on the forums is horrendous!

• 39. Re: Where is the fabled After Effects upgrade??? The one actually worth paying for!!!

OrchardPost30 wrote:

Who needs audio playback! AE CC 2015 Audio preview skips at the first second?

That's a bug (and Adobe is working on a fix), but it's fixable with a preference setting change too.

1 2 Previous Next