7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 30, 2015 7:58 AM by gpc1

How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?

gpc1

Hi All

I want to be able to sync LR on 2 machines.

I currently (after a shoot) set up a folder on my Imac drive for the client and import the images into the folder. This is simply the ‘client image folder’ I then open LR and import those images into LR adding in any adjustments / keywords etc on import. I then pick – edit – export to the client ‘output’ folder (on my imac drive) which gets burned to their USB.

I want to be able to edit on the road and for the Macbook Pro to have picked up any edits from the imac, and then any changes / edits I make sync back to the imac so that both the Imac and MBP are in sync.

Is there an idiot proof way of doing this.

I only have one very large LR catalogue (I haven’t broken it down by years or shoots etc like some do). I use smart previews too.

The idea is that in the morning, I walk out the door, pick up my Macbook pro which has been synced with my imac (imac is the 'base') edit whilst on trains etc, get home, sync edits to imac and then export from the imac to the clients usb...

• 1. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
          dj_paige Level 9

I want to be able to sync LR on 2 machines.

I currently (after a shoot) set up a folder on my Imac drive for the client and import the images into the folder. This is simply the ‘client image folder’ I then open LR and import those images into LR adding in any adjustments / keywords etc on import. I then pick – edit – export to the client ‘output’ folder (on my imac drive) which gets burned to their USB.

I want to be able to edit on the road and for the Macbook Pro to have picked up any edits from the imac, and then any changes / edits I make sync back to the imac so that both the Imac and MBP are in sync.

Is there an idiot proof way of doing this.

The correct method is that on one computer, you select the desired photos in Lightroom, then File->Export as Catalog, check "Include Negatives", and then copy all of the files just created to the 2nd computer. On the 2nd computer, open Lightroom and select File->Import from Another Catalog and point to the catalog file you just transferred from the first computer.

When you are done performing your actions on these photos on the 2nd computer, you repeat the process. Use File->Export as Catalog, and copy everything to the first computer and use File->Import from Another Catalog.

This doesn't meet my personal understanding of the word "sync" as it requires a manual action on both computers, it is simply copying information from one computer to the other. However, it is the only way to do this.

I'll let you judge whether or not that is "idiot-proof".

• 2. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
            ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Alternatively, if you are constantly moving between two computers, it might be easier to put your pictures and LR catalog on an external drive and just move the drive between the two computers.

• 3. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
              gpc1 Level 1

hi

thanks. I wanted to avoid having the wedding images on a HD and lugging that around and plugging into the MacBook.

Is it possible to have the Raw files on the mac, the 'main LR catalogue' on the mac and the smart previews catalogue on dropbox and point the MacBook Pro version of LR to the smart prev cat on dropbox and load / edit them. Then, when the MBP is turned off and the Imac fired up it would read from the smart prev on dropbox and update accordingly?

• 4. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
                ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

It is doubtful that you can get Dropbox to work the way you want.

However, if you have both computers on the same network at work/home, you can easily copy your catalog, previews, and some of the images from one computer to the other.

• 5. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
                  gpc1 Level 1

hi all

thanks

I have seen, and tested , using dropbox. But it meant creating a new catalog afresh on the DB folder, opening LR by clicking on that cat, importing images (prev and smart prev were automatically created in the DB folder). Then, close LR and allow DB to sync. When synced open the MacBook and let the DB sync. Open Lr from the lr cat on DB and al the images were there, with edits. I could then edit on the mbp using smart prev. Again, close LR, let DB sync and then the edits were there on the Imac version. It worked....

The problem I have is that my current catalogs are a mess.

I have an IMAC desktop which has some raw files stored directly on its hard drive, I have a Macbook Pro which has some Raw files stored directly on its hard drive and I have an external HD with raw files on.

Step 1 is to move any Raw files held on my Imac and MBP to the external drive (keeping the same folder name etc) I will then point lightroom on the imac and MBP to their new locaton.

The next thing I want to do is to only have 2 catalogs 1 for weddings and 1 for personal. I want to have these store in Dropbox so that I can then point lr to them and work of smart previews when the extyernal HD is not connected

Currently the weddings and personal are all mixed in the same catalog (I have 1 cat on the MBP that contains weddings and personal and another cat on the imac that contains weddings and personal)

Whats the best / logical process to do this, somhow I need to merge the MBP cat with the IMac cat, then seperate the weddings into their own cat, then move both cats to dropbox. However, I don’t want to lose all the edits etc that I have done either on the Imac or MBP.

The goal is to have 2 catalogs on DB. 1 for personal, 1 for weddings.

Many Thanks

• 6. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
                    john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The best advice is to make rock solid backup copies of everything. If that means getting another big external drive for that purpose, too bad. Only once you have this solid backup copy - and only when you've also got time and a clear head - proceed in the confidence that you can go back to square one if it all goes wrong.

Second, you're going to be using Import from Another Catalog - not the regular Import Photos command. You would only use the latter if you are totally confident that some photos are not in any catalogue.

Third, your biggest risk is where the same photos are in more than one catalogue, and here you're going to need to review them individually, decide which are the correct adjustments, and deal with any duplicates.

More general advice... All your file movements should be done in Lightroom. Make sure you run the Library FInd Missing Photos command - I like to have zero missing files.  And go one step at a time.

I'd also caution you about separating the catalogues too soon. It's going to be a nightmare to tie everything down in two catalogues, so get things right in one catalogue and put to one side the idea of separate personal and weddings catalogues. Only split the catalogue once you're happy that you have control of your pictures, and then think twice whether it's a great idea to fragment control of your picture collection and workflow.

• 7. Re: How are you syncing LR5 across multiple computers?
                      gpc1 Level 1

ok

I think I have this sussed. Firstly, I think its too late for the images I have already however going forward I can do the below.

Open LR

Create new catalog

place the new catalog in a file in dropbox

Import photos into new catalog, keeping the raw files on an external HD.

As long as smart prev are selected then these wil be built on DB next to the cat.

Once imported, remove HD.

LR will point to the DB folder and work off the smart previews.

As long as I close LR and let DB sync, when I open the cat from LR on my IMAC all the latest files and edits will be there.

I will do this for weddings to be shot in 2016. I can then either have a catlog for each year or I can merge all the catalogs onto he DB folder.

www.gregcoltmanphotography.com

Cheers all, finally got there