2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 6:49 AM by geoff.ball

Hiding the number in a numbered list (or putting it on its own line)

geoff.ball

I am writing a document with headings that are numbered and go four levels deep. There are six instances of the level 1 heading. I would like to format it as a two digit number (e.g., 01), then a horizontal rule, and then the heading text.

I imagine there are two options:

1. Insert a new line somehow between the number and the heading text, then apply a rule and offset it so it sits between the number and the text. The problems I'm having here are that I cannot seem to add a new line between the number and the text and that when I change the number format to 01, 02, etc., it also changes for level 2 headings (which I don't want).
      2. Hide the number for the list, and then add the number as text and format appropriately. The problem I'm having here is that when I change the paragraph style (Bullets and Numbering -> Numbering Style -> Number to blank, it messes up my level two lists later on (the first ones all start appropriately with 1 (1.1, 1.2, etc.), but those in sections 2-6 all start with 0 and do not reset properly (so what should be 2.1 is 0.6, after section 1 ended with 1.5).

Ultimately, I want a look something like:

----------------

INTRODUCTION

1.1    Welcome to the Company

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras eu lacus vehicula, convallis odio non, imperdiet libero. Integer faucibus metus at mi fringilla cursus. Morbi finibus, purus ac vestibulum ornare, erat tortor varius arcu, ultricies aliquet ligula quam vitae risus. Vivamus rhoncus tincidunt libero sit amet convallis. Curabitur interdum ipsum sit amet pellentesque gravida. Aliquam non magna vitae ipsum ullamcorper ultrices. Aenean mattis condimentum mauris efficitur placerat. Donec nec elementum lacus. Proin purus magna, efficitur ac laoreet eget, convallis eget nibh. Donec varius, diam sit amet faucibus porta, mauris nisi faucibus est, in luctus nulla mauris sed risus. Nullam quis libero ligula. Fusce at lorem molestie, ultrices purus id, pulvinar eros. Quisque rutrum odio quis quam auctor sollicitudin ac in ex.

1.2    Corporate Responsibility

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras eu lacus vehicula, convallis odio non, imperdiet libero. Integer faucibus metus at mi fringilla cursus. Morbi finibus, purus ac vestibulum ornare, erat tortor varius arcu, ultricies aliquet ligula quam vitae risus. Vivamus rhoncus tincidunt libero sit amet convallis. Curabitur interdum ipsum sit amet pellentesque gravida. Aliquam non magna vitae ipsum ullamcorper ultrices. Aenean mattis condimentum mauris efficitur placerat. Donec nec elementum lacus. Proin purus magna, efficitur ac laoreet eget, convallis eget nibh. Donec varius, diam sit amet faucibus porta, mauris nisi faucibus est, in luctus nulla mauris sed risus. Nullam quis libero ligula. Fusce at lorem molestie, ultrices purus id, pulvinar eros. Quisque rutrum odio quis quam auctor sollicitudin ac in ex.

----------------

REQUIREMENTS AND STANDARDS

2.1     Office Etiquette

2.2     Unacceptable Behaviour

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Cras eu lacus vehicula, convallis odio non, imperdiet libero. Integer faucibus metus at mi fringilla cursus. Morbi finibus, purus ac vestibulum ornare, erat tortor varius arcu, ultricies aliquet ligula quam vitae risus. Vivamus rhoncus tincidunt libero sit amet convallis. Curabitur interdum ipsum sit amet pellentesque gravida. Aliquam non magna vitae ipsum ullamcorper ultrices. Aenean mattis condimentum mauris efficitur placerat. Donec nec elementum lacus. Proin purus magna, efficitur ac laoreet eget, convallis eget nibh. Donec varius, diam sit amet faucibus porta, mauris nisi faucibus est, in luctus nulla mauris sed risus. Nullam quis libero ligula. Fusce at lorem molestie, ultrices purus id, pulvinar eros. Quisque rutrum odio quis quam auctor sollicitudin ac in ex. !

• 1. Re: Hiding the number in a numbered list (or putting it on its own line)
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I've come up with two possible approaches.

First is to set up the heading paragraph style with a Rule Above and set the vertical offset to move it below the first line and set the width to column and add left and right indents to narrow the rule. You will have to add the line breaks afterwards manually or using Find/Change to force the text to the line below the number.

Better, I think is to set up the heading as two paragraphs, the first empty, but set up as the number list with the next style set to a paragraph style that you use for the chaper title itself, and that in turn set to next style of the level 2 heading. Set the first two styles center aligned, and do something similar to above for the rule, but I'd use rule below in this case.

For the level one numbers you will want to add the 0 before the number marker rather than as part of the number style (this will work only if you have 9 or fewer headings) but remove it from the level 2 and lower styles, and for Level 1 you'll also want to remove any punctuation or white space after the number so the filed reads 0^# only.

• 2. Re: Hiding the number in a numbered list (or putting it on its own line)
            geoff.ball Level 1

Thanks Peter. I adopted a plan similar to option number 2, but it didn't work quite right. This looks like exactly what I need.

Much appreciated.

Geoff