7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 1:27 PM by D Fosse

Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.

2drumstix Level 1

I shoot with both Nikon D800 & a D810 bodies. The 800 has the 24-70 f2.8 glass, and the 810 has the 70-200 f2.8 glass. Both bodies menus are set up the exact same, and when I'm on shoots I pretty much keep them set with the same ISO, shutter, f-stop, flash settings, and compensations. I shoot in RAW, and import into LR (still on 5.7). No presets applied on import, usually use either Adobe Standard or Camera Standard profile.

Even with the most basic of Dev tweaks, the white balance - temp & tint, look very different between the two cameras.

Anyone else use both these bodies with LR and see this WB difference?

I shoot in RAW, it is a digital negative with no color profile, LR applies the color profile. Am I missing something? Would it be just inherent to the two camera bodies? Or is LR and the profiles causing this WB difference?

Working minds are curious,

Thanks,

Donnie     

• 1. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.
          ManiacJoe Adobe Community Professional

Two different camera modules will have two different white balance results. However, I would expect them to be close to the same.

Check the LR presets you are using to see if they are using a "auto" white balance as this will cause LR to search each photo for something it thinks is supposed to be white or neutral gray.

"As shot" might be the setting you are looking for if not using a "daylight" or numeric setting.

• 2. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.
            2drumstix Level 1

I have a few User presets I created, they are simple adjustments with "As shot" WB. I rarely if ever use "Auto". When I start working on images from a shoot, I import, apply a basic Dev, leave WB at "As shot". Then I'll go to an image from each camera and set WB accordingly.

But for this question I'm posing, the WB between the two cameras looks different. If I take an image from both bodies, side by side in comparison, they are of the same subject taken seconds apart, using the exact same basic LR Dev settings, then with temp set at 5000 and tint set at 0, the WB results are different.  

• 3. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.

I would expect two different white balance results from two different camera models. Algorithms get tweaked as new models come out. The results should be similar, meaning close to being the same.

Checking the camera manuals to see what the various WB settings mean between the two models, The D800 and D810 use the same temperatures for the WB presets. However, if you have both cameras set to "auto" WB, expecting the two results to be identical would not be a reasonable expectation.

In your example photos, how much different are we talking about for the WB results?

• 4. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.
                2drumstix Level 1

The difference: is the D810 is about 1000 cooler on temp, and about +5-6 more purple on the tint. Meaning, I need to adjust the D810 up 1000 in temp, and move down 5-6 in tint - when compared to D800. Or, in LR the D800 looks overall warmer and shifted more to the green, while the D810 in LR looks overall cooler and shifter more to the purple.

Both bodies are set to Auto1. But, is that even relative when shooting in RAW? It's a B&W negative, with no color profile. LR is applying a profile for the color rendering, correct?

• 5. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.
                  trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Nikon D800 and D810 use the same exact sensor, but the low-pass filter (OLPF) is removed on the D810. Technically the OLPF may affect the White Balance, but I would assume Nikon to have corrected that in-camera. At any rate I wouldn't expect to see a 1000K shift from removing the OLPF.

Try a test using a white balance card or even a piece of poster board. Shoot the card with both cameras using the same lens and settings. Make sure the card has the exact same lighting and fills the frame. Inside LR use the WB Eydropper on the same area of the card and post the WB readings here. This is just to rule out the lens or some other scene related issue as the cause. If you still see a 1000K WB difference then I suggest contacting Nikon Customer Service.

• 6. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.

1000 degrees is a big difference.

How do the photos looks if you are using Nikon software to view them?

• 7. Re: Nikon D800 vs D810 - white balance is very different.
                      D Fosse Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Actually the sensors are different, although I don't know exactly how different. The base ISO in the D800 is 100, and in the D810 it's 64.

The removed low pass filter (or rather cancelled out) was optional as the D800E. The new model offers no filtered option at all.

I'd expect a slight difference in WB, but I agree 1000K seems a lot.