3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 3, 2015 11:42 AM by A.T. Romano

Picture Quality for creating photo video

tm koenig

I am creating a video using photos.  The quality of the pictures is very poor.   I have used "rendering", but that does not help.  How can I improve the picture quality?

• 1. Re: Picture Quality for creating photo video
          A.T. Romano Level 7

tm koenig

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

Where is the quality of the photos poor - before or after export? And, if export, please detail your export choice?

What is your intended export for your Timeline photos when you get to export if you are not there yet?

What are the pixel dimensions of the photos that you are taking into the project and how many photos?

What is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set for the project? If you do not know, please tell us what you see for Editing Mode, Timebase, Frame Size, and Pixel Aspect Ratio (even if the fields looked grayed out) under Edit Menu/Project Settings/General.

What workspace of the program are you working Timeline/Sceneline (Premiere Elements 10 or earlier) or Expert/Quick (Premiere Elements 11 and later)?

With the answers to the above, I will offer comments for areas of improvement in your situation. I am assuming that your video card/graphics card driver version is up to date according to the web site of the manufacturer of the card or the manufacturer of the computer?

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Picture Quality for creating photo video
            tm koenig Level 1

Thanks for the quick response.  I am using Premier Elements 13 on a Gateway PC (which has an AMD Phenom II x4 945 processor with 6 GB memory).    I have not yet exported the video, only viewed it as I have been working on it.  I am working from JPEG photos that are between 2 - 4 MB.  I estimate there are over 150 photos.  The editing mode is 1040 HD, the timebase is 29.97frames/second, framesize is 1920 x 1080, pixels says Square Pixels (1.0)

I am using the "Quick" workspace.

Thanks for your help.  I by no means consider myself an expert when it comes to computers and programs like Photoshop - although I generally can figure things out eventually.

• 3. Re: Picture Quality for creating photo video
              A.T. Romano Level 7

koenig

Thanks for the reply. The following is what I would like to your to try with a few of your photos as a mini test run.

1. Start a new project, opening the project to the Expert workspace.

2. Go to File Menu/New/Project and set the project preset (manually) to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

The steps for doing that are:

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
              • In Change Settings, set the project preset to the above suggested project preset. OK out of there.
              • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
              • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag the photos from there to the Timeline.

In the Expert workspace, right click the Edit area monitor, select Playback Quality, and switch from Automatic to Highest. In Edit Menu/Preferences/General, make sure that Timeline Rendering quality is set for High Quality/Slow Speed.

Then make sure you are looking at a rendered Timeline and gauge the playback quality in the Edit area monitor.

There is always the matter of photo size (aspect ratio and pixel dimensions). This project is set for a HD project preset, so aspect ratio is going to be 16:9. Your photos are likely to have aspect ratio of 3:2 or 4:3 (video is typically 4:3 or 16:9). So to avoid black borders you may have to crop resize your photos before import. For right now, let us leave them as is and just look at 1920 x 1080 frame size quality and deal with black borders and other later.

Next, export that rendered Timeline content,

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080

and gauge the quality of that export when it is played back on a computer player.

In doing this we are better able to distinguish between a preview issue versus an overall project issue.

Please consider and then let us know the outcome. Any questions, please let us know.

Thank you.

ATR