8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 2:13 PM by MobileDeveloperCK
      • 1. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?
        MobileDeveloperCK Adobe Employee

Hi,

Would you provide more information so that we can figure out what happened?

Was the Acrobat Reader app automatically updated by iOS (the operating system)?   Or did you uninstall the app yourself before installing the new version 15.0.5?

In the new app,

1. Go to the Reader home screen.
        2. Tap the blue text button in the center of the top bar.
        3. Select "Local".

Local+iPhone.png

Do you see any files in the Local section?  Or do you see the text message "No documents to display"?

Have you saved any of your documents to Adobe Document Cloud or Acrobat.com (cloud storage) before?

• 2. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?
          cameronl91754871 Level 1

I will try to make this concise:

1.  It was not an automatic download. There was a "badge icon" notifying me that an update was available. I went to the App Store, went to the "updates" page, and tapped the "UPDATE" button. The update installed.

2.  The update was done using wi-fi and not a cellular connection.

3.  Nothing was uninstalled. You cannot update an uninstalled app. (Additionally, you would not receive notice for an update to an app that was not installed!)

4.  The only thing on the "Local" page is the "Getting Started.pdf" that comes with an initial install. That is what is frightening since this was only an "Update". (I tried both logged-in and logged-out with the same result.)

5.  I have been able to restore my "Recents" by syncing with my iPad. (I updated the iPad app two days previous and have not had difficulties.)

6.  I am able to access the documents that were stored in the Document Cloud. This is partially helpful with the exception that I am not able to transfer them to the "Local" memory. This means I have to access wi-fi or burn data from my cellular plan if I wish to work with files originally from my phone. The cloud accepts files but does not relinquish them to Local storage!

7.  None of this addresses the missing files that were stored only on the phone.

8.  I will not sync with a computer as a fix. Many of the documents contain confidential employee information, and I will not allow the owner of another computer the possibility of access.

Hoping for a solution,

Cameron

• 3. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?

I am so sorry for the problem that you have experienced.  I am afraid that there is no solution for restoring your lost local PDF documents from your iPhone unless you have the backup copies of PDF documents on a computer.  Do you have the complete backup of your iPhone that you can restore?

Unfortunately, it's not clear what happened because we cannot inspect your iPhone in person.  Any iOS app updates, installation, and uninstallation are performed by iOS (the operating system) because an app like Acrobat Reader for iOS cannot update, install, or uninstall itself.

You mentioned that the Reader update on your iPad was successful, whereas the Reader update on your iPhone erased the existing data including your PDF documents.  It appears that the problem does not always happen to all iPhones/iPads.  But some conditions/settings may have triggered a bug in the Apple or Adobe code (which is inconclusive due to the lack of sufficient information).

I am able to access the documents that were stored in the Document Cloud. This is partially helpful with the exception that I am not able to transfer them to the "Local" memory.

Would you take a look at my reply in the following forum thread to see if you can transfer your cloud documents back to your iPhone?

Re: How do I download cloud document to local for offline access on iPad?

Sorry for the inconvenience.

• 4. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?

Hi Cameron,

I have a couple of more questions for you so that we learn more about the condition that led to the problem.  We would like to prevent it from happening to users in the future.  But we need your help.

(1) What is the iOS version on your iPhone?

(2) Do you recall the version number of the previously installed Reader on your iPhone?  Was it 15.0.4 or older?  (I am wondering if the last update skipped versions.)

(3) When you launched Acrobat Reader after the last update, did you see the screen like this?

OnBoarding.png

and you swiped from right to left several times and tapped the blue Continue button to dismiss the screen?

You mentioned that the update on your iPad was successful (without any loss of documents) two days prior to the update on your iPhone. 

(4) Is there anything noticeably different between the two updates?  Are the iOS version and the version number of the previously installed Reader the same for both of your iOS devices?

Thank you for your help.

• 5. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?
                cameronl91754871 Level 1

I hopes this helps.

1.   iPhone 5s - iOS 8.3 (12F70)

iPad2 - iOS 8.3 (12F69)

On both devices the currently installed Reader versions (these are what the updates brought me to) are listed as 15.0.5 (116367)

2.   I do not recall the previous Reader version number. I do believe no updates were missed and the App Store's "version history" seems familiar. My best guess is that the replaced version was the 15.0.4

3.   I do not recall seeing the "Welcome to Acrobat" pages. It is not impossible but I do not remember having to swipe through an introduction to get into the app. I think I would have either been surprized or else made sarcastic jokes to myself about being welcomed to an ongoing service. I am not dismissing the possibility but I think it is likely I would remember the oddity.

4.   I have noticed no pre/post update differences on the iPad, but I must note that my use is generally with the basic download/view/print functions - sort of like a mini file cabinet. I do not know if it matters but it is an iPad2 so it is an older device.

• 6. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?

Thank you for the information, Cameron.

We will try to reproduce the problem with an iPad 2 at our end.  We really want to get to the bottom of this problem.

We apologize for the inconvenience that may have caused.

• 7. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?
                    cameronl91754871 Level 1

Just a reminder: The missing information was on the iPhone. I included the iPad2 info because you asked about both devices. The iPad update seems fine but you would know what may be or may not be relevant much better than I. I'm sorry I could not provide more exact information. I just didn't know I would need it until after the fact.  Cameron

• 8. Re: I updated my iPhone 5s to version 15.0.5 and all previously store document (local and recent) are gone from my device. How do I retrieve them?

Yes, you are right.  I meant an iPhone 5s.  You have already indicated clearly that the problem happened to your iPhone 5s, not your iPad 2.

I also have an iPhone 5s running iOS 8.3. The Acrobat Reader app was automatically updated to 15.0.5 several days ago. My local PDF documents did not disappear.  I will try a "manual update" (as opposed to an automatic update by iOS) by tapping the Update button from the Update page in the App Store to see if it makes any difference.

The most frustrating thing of all is that we do not have any iPads or iPhones that exhibit the same problem after the update to 15.0.5.  However, we do know that the problem actually happens to some users (like yourself).  We are trying to reproduce the problem at our end first to see if we can determine the cause and devise a solution.

The information that you provided in this forum thread is very helpful for our investigation.  Thank you!