6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 29, 2006 11:13 PM by Newsgroup_User

Can't open large file

sum101
      Hi,

I have created quite a hefty director file and was having a whole manner of issues because of its size. So... just as I was thinking of splitting it up into a number of files, the application crashed. Since then, whenever I try and open the file, director crashes. Help!! Have I lost this file for good?

Stu
        • 1. Re: Can't open large file
          sum101 Level 1
          P.S. Just before it crashed I saved a copy of the director file. On first look it appeared the same as the 'lost file' but on closer inspection the files imported are not there. They are listed and appear on the score as before but appear to contain no information. Can I extract anything from this file at all? The file size is pretty tiny too.

P.P.S. If I have to start again. How do I merge a number of .dir files into one .mov file. So that if I divided up the file into say 5 .mov files, can I merge them to create one .mov file?

Thanks.
          • 2. Re: Can't open large file
            James Newton, ACP Level 3
            Why is your file so big? Is the Score very complex, or do you simply have lots of bulky cast members? You might find that you can break up the Score into separate movies, each of which deals with a separate functionality or a separate section. You can copy a selection from the Score window, create a new movie, and paste the selection into the new movie. You will be given the opportunity to link the new movie to the external castLibs that the sprite members belong to, or you can choose to import the members.

You can break up big castLibs into separate cast (File | New | Cast...). If you create these as external casts, then you can share the same cast members between movies.
            • 3. Re: Can't open large file
              sum101 Level 1
              Its big as I have lots of images in the score. I have just done the first couple of parts of the 'movie' again as separate .dir files. Sorry for bring a bit slow but how would I make it so I could have a .mov file with these two files combined? I might need it spelling out for me as I am not very apt with this program!

Thanks
              • 4. Re: Can't open large file
                Level 7
                On Fri, 29 Dec 2006 22:54:58 GMT, sum101 posted in
                macromedia.director.basics:

> P.S. Just before it crashed I saved a copy of the director file. On
                > first look it appeared the same as the 'lost file' but on closer
                > inspection the files imported are not there. They are listed and appear
                > on the score as before but appear to contain no information. Can I
                > extract anything from this file at all? The file size is pretty tiny
                > too.

You could try openspark's suggestion. If that doesn't work, you might get
                away with opening it as a MIAW, then 'tell' that MIAW to save movie as...

I once had an external castLib suffer something similar - cast members were
                there, but all the member sizes went to zero and silent. The .cst file itself
                was still several MB even after a save and compact, but nothing to be heard.

I toyed with it for a little while, but reverted to my back up file before
                spending too much time on it.

> P.P.S. If I have to start again. How do I merge a number of .dir files
                > into one .mov file. So that if I divided up the file into say 5 .mov files,
                > can I merge them to create one .mov file?

Director files are not video files and won't "merge into one .mov file." I
                suppose you could export (search this forum AND the technotes for caveats) or
                screen capture the presentaions to videos. Once you have video files, you can
                use any video editing software, including QuickTime Pro, to merge or split
                them.

I don't recommend using Director as a video editor, though.

--
                Mark A. Boyd
                Keep-On-Learnin' :)
                • 5. Re: Can't open large file
                  Level 7
                  Hi Stu,

I've seen the problem you've outlined many times with my students, so may be able
                  to shed some further light to this.

I'm assuming your file is very large because it's badly managed - cast members are
                  not optimized, maybe you added content, deleted it, have not used a 'save and
                  compact'. When you save a movie using the regular save, it does a quick save which
                  means that all changes are just added to the end of the file. So, your DIR movie
                  just gets bigger and bigger in file size. If you choose 'Save and Compact', the
                  file is optimized. any deleted members are removed from the file, so you empty the
                  trash in a sense. The file also is saved in a more efficient way as well. I have
                  seen a 200 MB file go down to 50 MB by just using 'Save and Compact'

It will be too long to explain all the other things you can do to get your file
                  size down. I give an hour lecture on this to my students. I do have a summary at:
                  http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director/resources/FAQ/performance.asp

Next, why your cats members disappeared.
                  This typically happens when a file is very large and there is a problem saving.
                  If, for example you're trying to save your file to a Flash drive and the drive has
                  200 MB of free space and the file to be saved will be 250 MB, what Director can do
                  is save the file but clear the cast. So, you have all your score information in
                  tact, but all the cast members appear empty. They will keep their names. So, you
                  could restore the file if you had all the external content - images sound etc. Let
                  me know if you'd like more info.

Anyway, one good idea is to break up a your presentation into separate movies.
                  It's better (and more efficient) to have twenty 10 MB files than one 200 MB file.

Well, this is a long email. Let me know if it makes sense and if you'd like more
                  info on anything I've said.

regards
                  Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                  http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                  http://www.multimediacreative.com.au

• 6. Re: Can't open large file
                    Level 7
                    Hi again,

To answer the other part of your question.

First, some definitions
                    Movie = term that is used to refer to a Director file.
                    MOV = Quicktime video, also called a movie

If you want to make a a presentation with multiple Director movies linked
                    together, this is easy enough to do. The individual movies would be creation for
                    each section of the presentation, typically when there is a pause, like at a menu.
                    Menu may be one movie, then when you click section2, that would take you to a
                    separate movie with that section. To link by a mouse click, you can use:
                    on mouseUp
                    go to movie "MoveName"
                    end

where MovieName is the name of the Director file. Don't put the .dir part of the
                    name.

You can also use:
                    go to "Markername" of movie "MoveName"
                    to jump to a specific marker within a subsequent movie

If you wanted to create a digital video MOV out of your presentation, then read
                    what I said in the 'How to make output screen bigger' thread.

Hope this answers our questions.

regards
                    Dean

Director Lecturer / Consultant
                    http://www.fbe.unsw.edu.au/learning/director
                    http://www.multimediacreative.com.au