8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 4, 2015 1:17 PM by A.T. Romano

Premiere Elements 13

carolinen54620317

Hallo,

I bought Premiere elements 13 ,At school we have premiere elements 12, On school we make exercices as good as wel !

When I will open it at home ,it doesn't work .

He ask me everythime de wright codex .

My computers is windows 8.1  64 Bit

Can you help me please????

Thanks

• 1. Re: Premiere Elements 13
          A.T. Romano Level 7

carolinen

Are you working in the Premiere Elements 13 or in its Elements Organizer 13?

Have you updated Premiere Elements 13 to the 13.1 Update using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that.

For now I will assume that you are using the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 Editor....

Please give us the details of the properties of this file that will not import into Premiere Elements 13/13.1.

Video Compression

Audio Compression

Frame Size

Frame Rate

Interlaced or Progressive

File Extension

Pixel Aspect Ratio

Also, you may want to consider downloading and installing the free codec utility named GSpot, running your problem video through it, and give us the details of the file from that, especially

Video Name, Codec, Status

and

Audio Name, Status

GSpot Codec Information Appliance

Let us start here, and the, based on the details of your reply, we can decide what next.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Premiere Elements 13
            carolinen54620317 Level 1

Hallo ,

I work in premiere elements 13 , and all the updates are finished .

May be , its is a misunderstanding, the file that i can not open is PREL. and not AVI.

Ihave downloded GSpot and the only thing he ask me is "rendering failed".

The other things you ask me for , i don't know where to find it

thank you

• 3. Re: Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

carolinen

Thanks for the reply.

Let us explore the following possibility based on your reply.

You cannot import one project file (.prel) into another project file (.prel). I am suspecting that is what you might be doing.

To open a project file (.prel), one way.....you can right click it, select Open With, followed by (in this case) Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

If you have a project file whose content you want to bring into another project file, then there are two possibilities

a. Export the content from project file 1 to a file saved to the computer hard drive, and then import that export into project file 2.

or

b. Use ClipMate in conjunction with Premiere Elements 13/13.1 for copy/paste insert between Premiere Elements project files.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: ClipMate Copy/Paste Between Projects

If the above does not apply to you and you are having problems opening a previously created project that was save closed, then you may be dealing with a damaged project. Then please check out

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

But, then I would ask "Can you open a new project without issues?"

Please review the above and determine if any of the above applies to you. We will be watching for further developments.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Premiere Elements 13

Hallo ,

That is the file I get, when I open it in premiere 13.

First he asks me where is. ... and if I skip do I get this.?

Thank you

• 5. Re: Premiere Elements 13
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

carolinen

Thanks for the screenshot. Great information.

That is telling me that somehow the source media for this project has been disconnected from the project.

When you import source media into your project, all you get are copies of the originals which have been saved to the computer hard drive. But the copies in the project need to trace back to the originals at the hard drive save location where they were when the files were imported into the project. You cannot move, delete, or rename folders and files imported into the project after the project has been saved closed. You can also get into this disconnected media situation if you store your sources on an external hard drive and the external hard drive malfunctions and/or the drive letter changes.

If we were talking about all this involved with one computer with Premiere Elements and with originals stored on that computer, that is one matter. In that case, you would need to use the "Where is the file_____?" message to tell the program where you know the file to be (for each and every message - unless you get lucky and one message answered triggers the others to reconnect).

Important.

Is there any chance that you created your project file on one computer and transferred it to another computer but forgot to bring along the source files at the location where the project last knew them to be?  If the latter is the case, then you use the Project Archiver/Copy Project option on Premiere Elements 13 computer 1, to create a Copied Folder with copies of the project file and copies of its source media. You transfer the Copied Folder to the second computer with Premiere Elements 13 and open the project file  from the Copied Folder...Open With Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

Some other complications if the latter is at the core of this issue.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Archiving Projects With Disc Menus

Please review that above and then let us know if we are targeting your situation.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Premiere Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

carolinen

The more I think about it, the more I think that this is probably the problem....you created a project on one computer, using the source files on that computer.

And, when you wanted to continue the project on another computer, you had the project file but did not bring along the project's source files.

Your reply (to this post and post 5) should clarify the matter.

ATR

• 7. Re: Premiere Elements 13

Hallo,

I have this file on my external hard drive. All the solutions are in a folder and its contents (pictures, movies) too!?

probably that's the problem.

Thank you very much for your help

Regards

• 8. Re: Premiere Elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

carolinen

Thanks for the reply.

If you know where the files for the program are, then you can use the "Where is the file____?" message, one by one, to tell the message where the file is. You need to look for the specific file that the message is seeking.

With external hard drive storage, just make sure that its drive letter is not changing on you.

We will watch for further developments as your schedule permits.

Best wishes

ATR