4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 1:29 AM by lesleyn31058807

4k monitor and lightroom 6.01

lesleyn31058807

hi - i am using dell p2715q monitor (via mDP cable) with lightroom 6.01 (at 3840x2160 res) . Graphics card use (R9 270) is enabled with LR. Graphics card is recommended for LR and is 4K capable yet LR is slow on this monitor with

slight lag compared to a 2560x1440 monitor (despite clearing prefetch and temp directories as requested by adobe technical help - though that did help to reduce  lag (in develop module - between actioning of tasks and their visibility)  and allowed enablement of graphics card with LR). Also when in develop module photos go in and out of 'focus' (/resolution ?) which is disconcerting and compromises speed of use and user experience. According to technical guidance provided by Adobe and radeon  this hardware and software should work together.. does anyone have any idea what the issue(s) might be. The screen is beautiful and the real estate/ LR interface is fantastic but  user experience is compromised to the extent i am thinking of going back to 2560x1440 . Any help or insight would be appreciated - thanks.

les

• 1. Re: 4k monitor and lightroom 6.01
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

See this lengthy post concerning AMD driver issues with LR 6/CC: OpenGL Failure in Lightroom CC

Even users with high-end AMD GPUs are having performance issues. You can try updating the graphics drivers, which seems to help some users. On my i7-860 quad-core, Nvidia Quadro 600, Windows 7 system the performance is actually quite good with GPU disabled. I'm using a 2560 x 1440 monitor and would expect lower performance when using a 3840 x 2160 4K display (3.7Mp vs 8.3Mp).

Try disabling GPU support and see if it improves performance.

• 2. Re: 4k monitor and lightroom 6.01
            lesleyn31058807 Level 1

hi trshaner - many thanks for taking the time to respond. I had already updated graphics drivers but I will try disabling the GPU and see if that helps. Everything works fine on 2560x1440 monitor so maybe i just need to work something out re workflow where i use that monitor for intensive editing and the 4k monitor for low level work. 4K is so much better aesthetically - such a disappointment that the technology and software are not up to the task yet ..

• 3. Re: 4k monitor and lightroom 6.01
              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

To make the Develop module more responsive drag the side panel and filmstrip edges towards the center of the screen to make the Loupe preview smaller. In other words maximize these three panels, which will minimize the Loupe area.

• 4. Re: 4k monitor and lightroom 6.01
                lesleyn31058807 Level 1

Thanks trshaner - great suggestion. I turned off graphics card and that has stopped the focus/defocus issue which is  a big help - thanks ! have also taken your advice re reducing loupe view. Will keep my eye out for graphics card driver and lightroom updates in hope that performance might be improved down the line. Many thanks for all your help:)

To: lesley nicolson <l.nicolson@btopenworld.com>

Sent: Thursday, 4 June 2015, 20:13

Subject:  4k monitor and lightroom 6.01

4k monitor and lightroom 6.01

created by trshaner in Photoshop Lightroom - View the full discussionTo make the Develop module more responsive drag the side panel and filmstrip edges towards the center of the screen to make the Loupe preview smaller. In other words maximize these three panels, which will minimize the Loupe area. If the reply above answers your question, please take a moment to mark this answer as correct by visiting: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7610441#7610441 and clicking ‘Correct’ below the answer Replies to this message go to everyone subscribed to this thread, not directly to the person who posted the message. To post a reply, either reply to this email or visit the message page: Please note that the Adobe Forums do not accept email attachments. If you want to embed an image in your message please visit the thread in the forum and click the camera icon: https://forums.adobe.com/message/7610441#7610441 To unsubscribe from this thread, please visit the message page at , click "Following" at the top right, & "Stop Following" 

Start a new discussion in Photoshop Lightroom by email or at Adobe Community For more information about maintaining your forum email notifications please go to https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1516624.