1 2 Previous Next 55 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 2:00 PM by A.T. Romano

Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.

Bill in Burbank Level 1

Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them?  They almost always revert to the default settings.

• 1. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill in Burbank

My take on what you describe.

The Smart Mix is going to balance audio tracks automatically depending on what you set as Foreground or Background for the audio tracks involved.

I do not see those Foreground or Background labels for the tracks ever being altered unless you change them. But, once you apply the Smart Mix, it will automatically change the volume level making a track volume increased or decreased depending on those labels. The only way I see that ever getting back to "default" (original volume for the clips involved) is to change the volume manually or with the Audio Mixer. Here I am making the distinction between labels in the Smart Mix dialog versus the volume changes that it makes automatically.

When you add the Audio Mixer to this and start making volume adjustments, you are changing the SmartMix set volumes and replacing them with the Audio Mixer ones. When the Timeline playback is stopped and the Audio Mixer closed, the volume set for an audio track should stay the same until you change them with the Audio Mixer or manually.

So, after all that was said, please describe your workflow that is resulting in Smart Mix and/or Audio Mixer volumes changing without your intervention.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T.  -  Good to hear from you.  I was wondering if you were still on the job.

I have tried both the Audio Mixer and Smart Mix, separately of course.  What happens is, if I change volume levels in Audio Mixer in the Background, or Audio 1 track (where the sound from my own videos I'm including resides), if I then play the project, there almost always is NO change in the sound for that track - or a fraction of the change I entered.

So, then I've gone back and changed the volume of say the background music, x out the screen - - - and then immediately go back to the Audio Mix screen,  the sound level has already changed back to 0 decibels !  It will NOT "hold" the changed level.  I've looked around for some key to press to "enter" the new level or something equivalent, but can find none, so I just x out of the screen with the "x" in  the upper right-hand corner.

Now the Narration track is more reliable (but not perfect) about "holding" any new level I switch to with the little level-handle. I can't figure out why it is more reliable.

If I use Smart Mix instead of Audio Mix, and choose the Background track to apply Smart Mix to,  it either doesn't hold the check or if it does,  there IS NO CHANGE IN THE VOLUME OF THE BACKGROUND TRACK WHEN I PLAY THE PROJECT.  The first time I tried Smart Track for Background track,  it worked SPECTACULARLY as it lowered its volume for one or two of my little narrations.  Then, nothing.  Like I burned some thing out or something. (I've also tried changing the % of volume to lower in the audio preferences screen I think it is.  Usually no effect.

I'm about to try everything I can think of tonight again.  It's the last thing I have to do on my video project - - balance the sound. If I use Smart Mix, I'll be sure everything on Audio Mix is at 0 - except the Foreground track which I want at +6.  If I use Audio Mix to play with, do I have to have everything in Smart Mix "disabled" or not checked?

I'll let you know what I found out.  Took my computer to a different computer guy today, and he said I shouldn't need any more than my  GB of memory, but he encouraged me to turn off my Norton Firewall and Anti-virus while working in PE.   They take too much memory and aren't needed as long as I'm not on-line.  He also found that the cooling fan for my Core i7 processor was not working because the guy who assembled it didn't press the appropriate PIP keys.  It's working now.  He said that alone could have hampered the computer's performance.  I wonder if it could have kept Audio Mix and Smart Mix from holding the new levels I entered.                                                                   Appreciate any insights.  I'm beginning to think there is a "glitch" in my PE 13                                                                      program.  What do you think?                                                                                BillP.S. What about the yellow lines in the audio tracks I don't have? 

• 4. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Greetings. It is pushing 1 am where I am so I will comment further on your latest report around 8 am in the morning.

If you get back to this thread before I do, please explain to what you were referring when you asked about the audio tracks yellow lines.

Did we discuss audio track display style and the audio clip's "rubberband". There are two possible audio track display styles

a. one with a horizontal yellow line through the mid part of the audio clip - this style also includes waveform

and

b. one with a black horizontal line through the mid part of the audio clip - this style does not include the waveform.

To be continued....

ATR

• 5. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                Bill in Burbank Level 1

After playing with things a long time, here is what's happening now.

- I have lost all sound from my narration track.  The green boxes with the clip titles are there, but only the faintest trace of my voice can be heard if there is nothing else playing.  And the Audio Mixer is set at 0 decibels.  Tried 6 too; no effect.

-The sound in my Soundtrack track IS there, full and strong.  Also the clip sounds are there and playing well in the Audio 1 Track.

-However, entering new sound levels does not "hold".  They revert to 0 or some other number they pick.

-In Smart Mix,  there is no lowering of volume in the Soundtrack track ever.  There IS lowering of volume in the Audio 1 track almost always, even though my voice is NOT being heard from the narration track.  It evidently knows I'm speaking and lowers the volume, even though you cannot hear me.

I tried exiting the entire program and re-loading the project when it opened again.  No change.  My narration has virtually disappeared  although the green boxes are still there.  The narration was there yesterday. I can't imagine taking it to the computer guy could have affected it  

Background music (soundtrack) plays full and loud all the time,  the Audio 1 sound clips can be controlled with Sound Mix, but Soundtrack can't.  Soundtrack track (which is also the Narration track, right?) is no longer affected by either Audio Mix or Smart Mix changes in their volume levels.

Sorry for the bad news.  Unless I get a brilliant thought during the night, I'm stumped.

• 6. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T.  - We never discussed audio track display styles.  I don't know where to get access to them, but probably could find them as I bumble around.  There is no rubberband or black wave lines or anything except the audio clip title in the long green boxes.

Tell you what, I really want to finish this  project before my trip and burn a couple of copies to take with me.  I am considering re-downloading the entire PE13 program, even if I have to pay for it again.  I'll check my account to see what it will let me do.  I think there is something wrong with my program with all the strange things happening in the audio field. 

I would uninstall the current PE 13, disable Norton and Malwarebytes before re-downloading, and hope for the best.  The project would be safe, I figure.  Your thoughts                                                                                Bill

• 7. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Not sounding good (no pun intended).

Close the project and delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists.

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists. Be sure to be working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives enabled so that you can see the complete path given.

About that yellow line in the audio clip - you click on (toggle) the speaker/music note icon to the left of Soundtrack; speaker icon to the left of Audio 1 or Narration....two possible looks

audiotoggle.JPG

AudioToggle2.JPG

Please excuse, but do you have the audio tracks in the opened or closed configurations. Is the triangle to the left of the icons that I just mentioned pointing to the right or downward? And, you are in the Expert workspace?

The uninstall, free ccleaner run through (regular and registry parts), reinstall with antivirus and firewall(s) disabled should not affect your saved projects.

Please review and consider, and then let me know what is happening.

Thanks.

ATR

• 8. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you, A.T.  Have printed out your message, but I have a very full day today; probably can't get to what you told me to do 'til later tonight - - and of course, all day tomorrow. Thank you so much - - - Bill

• 9. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. - Progress Report.   I am in Expert the Expert Workspace.  I went to those triangles at the beginning of the audio tracks - clicked on them - they turned down and now I HAVE THE RUBBERBAND AND THE BLACK LINE.  If the arrow pointed right, there were no yellow or black line.  Is no lines the "closed" position.

I still have no narration voice (mine) in the Narration Track, but the black wave line is there, and if I put a portion of it in the Clip Monitor, it REALLY shows that is there clearly.  But I can't hear it, but I can hear the other two tracks plainly.  The sound level in the Narration Track is set at +6, the loudest, but I get no sound.

The Audio 1 track and the Soundtrack Track STILL won't hold a changed sound level, but the Narration Track will hold a changed sound level  (but I can't hear any sound from anymore.  I did up until yesterday.  It was fine.)

I followed your careful "tree" path to the Premier Elements Prefs file you gave me, but my tree is not like yours.  I have Windows 7 Professional, and my tree gets to Users and there is no "Owner" folders under that.  Could not fine a Roaming folder either.  Nor App Data folder.  So I did a Search of the entire C drive for Premier Elements Prefs, and the Search found no such file. (!)  But I clearly have Preferences in the pull-down Edit menu, and they have figures in them and do respond to change.

Well, you got me the yellow line in the Audio Tracks, thank you very much.  (What is the black line for?) 

Otherwise everything is pretty much the same:

- no sound from the Narration Track

-  Audio Mixer won't hold new sound levels in the Audio 1 Track and the Soundtrack Track, but it WILL hold new levels             in the Narration Track, even if you can't hear the Narration.

What would you like me to try next to fix things?                                      Bill  

• 10. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Thanks for the reply.

Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs

You probably are working with Folder Option Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives disabled.

In the Search field above the start button, type in Folder Options. Then you should see link for Folder Options at the top of that left side column.

Click on the Folder Options link to bring up the Folder Options dialog. Click on the View Tab of the Folder Options dialog.

Then scroll down the options under the View Tab.

Make sure to have a dot next to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

For the track sound issues....

Please move the narration clip from the Narration Track to one of the upper numbered audio tracks. Does it now have sound?

ATR

• 11. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

Good morning, A.T.  -  I checked the Folder Options and there IS a dot next to "Show Hidden Files, Folders, and Drives".

Then, as you suggested, I switched the Narration from the Narration Track to Audio 5 track.  Tried it, and no difference in sound of the narration.  Still is BARELY audible in a staticy sound, even though in the Audio Mixer the Audio 5 track where the narration now is set at a volume of +5.6.  So, I moved the narration back to the Narration Track.

Do you agree there probably is a "corruption" in the PE 13 program, and I probably should go for a new download of the entire PE program and its two upgrades?  I would use the tips for downloading that you told me.  I think I've tried everything we can to "fix" the odd volume-setting problems and now the problem of not being able to hear the narration.  The other tracks ARE both audible, but I can't change and hold new volume settings for them.

So?  Are we ready?  I'll run a backup of my system before I do it.    OK?                          Bill

• 12. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

How about one more exploration and then, if no go, the uninstall etc.

I am not convinced that your issue is not going to a specific project and/or a specific narration file, so.....

1. Have you looked at creating a new narration clip and getting rid of the one with no sound?

2. Please remind me, have you started a new project with audio on numbered audio tracks, soundtrack, narration track and gotten the same results with the new as you did with the problem project that we have been discussing? If you have not and try this, please enter the sound to the tracks in the following order

unnumbered audio track

then

Soundtrack

and then

Narration with the Narration Tool

3. If need be, we can define the narration clip problems further by comparing creating narration with the Narration Tool as well as in the Audacity program.

ATR

• 13. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

I'll try what you say.  Do you mean this MAY involve my RE-narrating the entire project?

No, this is the same project we have been discussing - - whose narration was FINE until 2-3 days ago when for some reason, it suddenly and inexplicably went "bad". 

Tell me this now if you would - the two tracks I'm having trouble holding the sound levels on (Audio 1 and Soundtrack), could it have anything to do with the several audio clips "touching" or overlapping a frame or two?  Must they be separate by a frame or more for the sound levels to hold?

• 14. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Sometimes when there is a lot of audio editing going on in a project, seemingly unexplained Narration Track issue present. Many are essentially impossible to correct; while some are fixed by one Timeline maneuver or another....like moving audio to different tracks....trying to work with the audio in the project's other workspace - like Quick instead of Expert and so on.

Best to gather the information and then sort it out.

If you suspect an audio placement issue, then work from a copy of the project, and move the clips around within the audio track or from audio track to audio track. If you have the Timeline Snap enabled, the clips edges should be "snapping" together and not overlapping.

ATR

• 15. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

This is the same project we have been discussing - - whose narration was fine until 2-3 days ago.

I tried to an un-numbered audio as you said, but could find NO unnumbered tracks.  So I "created" a new audio track, but it came up with a number, Audio 7.

I had made a NEW narration clip for a short one at the beginning.  I used the Narration tool, activated my microphone, it showed good sensitivity, and went ahead and narrated a sentence.  No evidence it "took".  No wavy black line like in the other clips, and when I replayed it - with speakers ON - nothing.  No narration. The tracks were still ok.

So, I tried moving that clip to Audio 7 suspecting it wouldn't work because there was no wavy sound line like the others, made several days ago.

Moved that new clip back to Narration Track, and again nothing.

Should I try to create a "dummy" totally new phone project, add a picture, and some narration and see if the narration works?

• 16. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi A.T. -  I already created a small phony project and narrated something into it.  No sound when I played back the new project.  No wave line in the green narration clip.

• 17. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

I just tried to add a new soundtrack clip to the end of the project we are working on to see if I could hear it, and yes, it recorded fine from a music file I had, and I heard it just fine when I played it back.

• 18. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Not sure what you meant by

I tried to an un-numbered audio as you said, but could find NO unnumbered tracks.

I have only mention "numbered audio tracks", like in Audio 1, Audio 2, Audio 3, and so on in contrast to the Narration Track and Soundtrack which are must one each.

Definitely look at the problem in a mini test run as you mention

Should I try to create a "dummy" totally new phone project, add a picture, and some narration and see if the narration works?

Have you looked at Edit Menu/Preferences/Audio Hardware ASIO Tab Input/Output and verified that the microphone is enabled in Input and the Speaker is enabled in Output? But, if Input was not, I would have expected for you to report a message from the program telling you that you needed to enable the microphone. Please remind me, "Are you using a USB microphone or one that connects to the computer via a computer jack?

• 19. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

I did not see your post 17 until after I had posted (post 18).

If your new project works, I would hold off on uninstall, cleaner, reinstall.

Please read the Adobe document on damaged projects and determine if there is anything in it that will impact your audio situation.

I suspect you are going to end up with a new project for this project.

https://helpx.adobe.com/premiere-elements/kb/troubleshoot-damaged-projects-premiere-elemen ts.html

Is there any consideration for deleting your current narration clips, and replacing them with new ones created in Audacity.

Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder

If that works, you would salvage the project and have narration, even though you would not salvage the original narration.

What were the results from deleting the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which it exists. I think that you enabled the Folder Option, but what happened after that - did you do those deletion?

ATR

• 20. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                              Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hi again - When I play with my project, I just make sure auto-save is turned off, and when I'm through playing, I'm sure  NOT to save it so I can re-load the project as it was before I played with it upon the next re-load.  So, I think I'll play with the audio clip placements.  I assume I can load certain audio track clips into the Narration track and they should play?  I'll let you know.

• 21. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

I just added a new soundtrack clip to the soundtrack track.  Then I moved the same clip to the end of the narrations that did not play in the Narration Track.  It DID play.  So, the soundtrack music file clip that wound up in the Narration Track did play while the narration clips that used to play and no longer do.  What gives?

• 22. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Good troubleshooting moving the Soundtrack music as a test to Narration Track.

Please create narration clip in Audacity as wav version. Import that wav version narration into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Projects Assets from where you drag the file to the Timeline Narration Track...sound or no sound?

Did you ever delete the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file, and, if necessary, the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file exists?

Looking forward to your results.

ATR

• 23. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

I enabled the folder option, did a search for the Adobe Premier Elements Prefs files and only got the following:

C:\Users\new\AppDate\Roaming|Adobe\Premier Elements|13.0

These files are in a different order than you described, and when I tried to go to it and open it, I got a message from Windows that it could not open this file because either . . . . (several things wrong) 

There WAs a Premier Elements Folder but I was hesitant to delete that because I could not find the Prefs folder in it and I was concerned about what else I might delete that could be disastrous.

• 24. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

The Audacity suggestion sounds like a good idea, but we are not dealing with PE 13 NOT being able to hold volume level changes in Audio Mixer.  Might I not need that in future projects.  That's what I was thinking was "corrupted" and worth a re-download of the program.  And now there is no narration audible even though it's THERE on the clip,  AND I now cannot create any new narrations either.  There is something WRONG with that program I have, isn't there.   I saw nothing in the Troubleshooting Damaged Projects that I thought would pertain to me.

By the way, I mistyped in the other reply.  I should have said I tried to go to an Unnumbered Audio Track as you mentioned, but could find only Numbered Audio Tracks.  Even tried to create a new Audio Track, but even it came through with a number.  Tried it anyway with no solution for my narrated clips.

• 25. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

We might be getting out of sync.

You said that you could not get the narration clips created with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool to play (have sound) from the Narration Track.

So, if you cannot get narration clips from the Premiere Elements Narration Tool to playback, then we want to see if narration .wav files created by another means will play back in your Premiere Elements project, namely those from Audacity.

I thought that Audio Mixer functioning or not was on the side lines why we try to find out why you were not getting sound from your narration clips on the Narration Track. You further added that your Soundtrack sound played back from the Narration Track but not the narration clips created by the Narration Tools.

As for the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file and the 13.0 Folder in which it exists....what was in a different order? The path that I described was

Local Disk C

Users

Owner

AppData

Roaming

Adobe

Premiere Elements

and, in the 13.0 Folder, is the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file that you delete. If that does not work, then delete the whole 13.0 Folder in which the Adobe Premiere

Note you are not looking for a Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs folder. It is a file in the 13.0 Folder.

BillNorth.jpg

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 26. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                          Bill in Burbank Level 1

I FOUND IT.  There was a Premier Elements folder and a Premier Elements 13 folder.   I looked in the wrong one, so now I looked in the other one, and there it WAS - - as you said.  I deleted it (God help me - deleting things scares me ), so now will go back and see if there is any change in operation in PE.

OK, now I understand, you want the Audacity thing to be a trial run to see if we can get IT to work in the Narration Track, not as a permanent fix. 

But I have to quit now - - after a brief try at getting PE sound to work after deleting the Prefs file.   Will let you know.

I'll get back to this either late tonight - - probably tomorrow.  I have a dinner engagement I have to get ready for.

Thanks for your continued attempts at helping me - - - and patience.       Bill

• 27. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

After deleting the Prefs file, no change in the narration problem or the volume levels problems.

Tell me, does the Audio Mix levels work on individual audio clips that are highlighted, or on the audio clip the cursor is on, or does the cursor have to be on and the clip highlighted to set the change in volume level?  Or, does a change in the volume level supposed to affect ALL clips in the track?

• 28. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Interesting that you should ask about those particular Audio Mixer points.

The answer depends on whether you are just opening the Audio Mixer OR have it open and are adjusting the volume sliders (for numbered audio tracks, Narration Track, or Soundtrack) as the Timeline is played back.

Example...if you

1. open the Audio Mixer

2. and have the Timeline Indicator on a particular Timeline audio clip (does not have to be selected/highlighted audio clip)

3. do not start the Timeline playback

4. use the volume slider to lower the volume for the track where this clip along with other clips are placed

Then it is only that the audio clip on which the Timeline Indicator is positioned that has its volume lowered even if other audio clips on that track are highlighted.

Once you start moving around the volume slider for an audio track or audio tracks in the opened Audio Mixer while the Timeline content is playing back, then you get the keyframing of volume according to your moving of the volume slider(s). You do not see the end result until after the Timeline playback stops and the Audio Mixer closed. I have found that you do not need to select audio clips beforehand. Whatever the Timeline Indicator passes over left to right while the Audio Mixer is opened and you are moving adjusting the volume slider(s) results in the volume keyframes. Audio Mixer volume keyframing will beginning at wherever you have the Timeline Indicator positioned when the Audio Mixer is opened and you adjusting its volume sliders.

Please refer to the Discussion examples given in the following where I tried to point out what the Audio Mixer "Mute Button" really does.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: About Disabling Sound For Whole Audio Track

(As you will read, it is only an internal option of the Audio Mixer when the Audio Mixer is opened.)

Please review and consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 29. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

MY GOD!  I printed it out so I could study it thoroughly in the morning, along with the Troubleshooting thing you sent.  There MAY be something in there that pertains to my situation.

By the way, you asked about my microphone.  I bought a new one.  It's a Blue Snowball Ice mike, a plug-in and play USB mike a guy at Staples recommended.  About $70.  Seems high quality enough - - and looks good!

I checked in ASIO settings, and it is recognized and enabled.  It did do the narration successfully that now I cannot hear.  You know I did hear it several times, so I know it originally "took".

P.S.  I'm going to try to limit what I send you to one thing at a time.  Otherwise I get lost in what I've answered and not answered.  Like the mike.                                                                                Bill

• 30. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                  Bill in Burbank Level 1

One more thing which has nothing to do with what we have been talking about.   I am having a hard time controlling the file that becomes back to my menu (yes, I have one!).  And I absolutely cannot figure out how to control its volume.  No specific sound track for it.  ( I know about the box that says drag a file to it, but it doesn't always work in my case.)

Better yet, I'd rather have NO soundtrack with the menu and can't figure out how to eliminate all sound for the menu.  Is there a way?                                                                                Thank you

• 31. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

I'm going to try download Audacity now and make a short sound track with it for my Phony Project I did for the other experiment.  Will let you know how I did.

Say, I did use Audacity for the soundtrack in my real project, would SmartMix be able to recognize it and lower the volumes of other tracks I labeled Background?

• 32. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                      Bill in Burbank Level 1

Should I restore that Prefs file since it didn't seem to give me any aid with my problem - - - or should I just leave it in the recycle bin?

• 33. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                        Bill in Burbank Level 1

Lots to tell you, A.T.   I found on my OWN that SmartMix works with the soundtrack from Audacity!!  I tried it on my "Phony Project".

I also found that it I used SmartMix on my Africa video project (the one I'm really working on. it works, and now that you showed me how to get the yellow lines, I can control the Soundtrack volume better with them.  SmartMix puts "keyframe markers" at the beginning and end of where the volume is lowered in the Soundtrack.

I also found that the volume is NOT lowered enough even though I have the volume lowered in the Preferences - Audio screen 80%.  But with the keyframe markers, I just pull the volume yellow linIdown lower between them where it is already lowered.  Works like a charm.  More work, but oh well.

I think the volume problem is solved!  I still can't depend upon the regular Audio Mix levers to hold the correct values, but with the yellow lines I can tell when one is off and I can fix it either with the Audio Mix levers (they seem to hold for one clip at a time).

• 34. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                          Bill in Burbank Level 1

Now for the message I did not want to write.  I figured out why I could not hear the Narration Soundtrack. THE SPEAKER CONNECTOR IN THE BACK OF THE COMPUTER CASE WAS NOT IN ITS CONNECTOR ALL THE WAY!  I pushed it in all the way, and suddenly I had narration.  But why I could hear the other tracks is a mystery to me.

I think you get this message first of all I sent you late tonight, so you are probably furious with me.  I am so embarrassed and sorry for that trouble I caused us.

The only thing I need to know now is in one of the other messages. It's about how I eliminate all sound behind my Menu I successfully created with Scene markers too!  It shows how you can substitute another music file for the default, but it doesn't show me how to eliminate ALL sound behind the menu.  I want any soundtrack to begin with the movie, not the menu.

I hope you are still speaking to me(writing, I mean)      Bill

• 35. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                            Bill in Burbank Level 1

I hope you'll be proud of me on this one, A.T.   I tried to create a new narration clip on the big Africa video, and when I played it, it wasn't as loud as the others I had made several days ago.  And I saw no way of raising the volume on my mike, but I remembered seeing something about "gain being for input" a while ago.  I searched for gain, and although found nothing specific for PE, I found something in an article about PE-Pro which explained enough to me that I found Audio Gain by right-clicking on the narration clip and began experimenting with different values for the gain. 

I soon found a number which made my voice on the new narration clip as loud as the others.  I also subsequently found another narration clip I had made several days ago that didn't seem loud enough.  Fixed that forthrightly !  Wo!  I'm getting good!

• 36. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

You have been busy and very productive. I will start reading and answering from

post 29.

USB microphones typically do not work in Premiere Elements. So, although they may be great for the computer, it is probably "safer" buying the type that plug into the computer jack. But, if you found one that works, great news and that will be good information for users seeking information related to USB microphones and those that appear to work with the Premiere Elements Narration Tool.

post 30

The volume of the 30 sec audio that you can use in the disc menus is not adjustable. If you want to alter the volume of such audio,

a. Go to the hard drive save location for the original of the audio

b. Import that into a Premiere Elements project, adjust the volume, export as wav or .mp3 Publish+Share/Computer/Audio (Do this with the Audio Meter on -Window Menu/Audio Mixer)

c. Then in your major Premiere Elements project, Movie Menu customization area, navigate to the save location for the audio with adjusted volume, and select it to bring that into the project as your menu audio.

post 31

SmartMix should be able to deal with audio in Soundtrack depending on what label you set for Soundtrack in the SmartMix dialog.

post 32

If all is working correctly, you should have found that the Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs was generated again once you opened the project. Do you now have an Adobe Premiere Elements Prefs file in that 13.0 Folder? If so, you can get rid of the one that you deleted and that is now in the Recycle Bin.

post 33

Great job. Are you aware that you can adjust the volume keyframes at the level of the Timeline audio clip's rubberband? The volume keyframes should present as white dots. With your mouse curse, you can move those dots (volume keyframes around) - up or down (to increase or to decrease) or right to left to get the changes to occur at different locations on the clip. More details on that if necessary.

post 34

This one nearly blew me off my computer chair, but all that is part of the troubleshooting. And, you did great in identifying that connection as a core issue.

If you want to get rid of the audio that comes with the menu, please tell me what Movie Menu theme you are using. You need to go to the theme's folder in the program files or program data and remove the audio file there. Does your Movie Menu have default music in the main menu page and scene selection page or just the main menu. Makes a difference in how the Movie Menu theme was set up audio file wise.

post 35

Magnificent news. Super great job.

I do not think you need the following, but as a future reference - just in case

Mixing audio and adjusting volume

Bottom line: Looking good project wise, and you are working like a pro.

ATR

• 37. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                                Bill in Burbank Level 1

Hello A.T. - Thank you for not being too upset with me (just flabbergasted) over the speaker connector.  Yes, this Blue Snowball seems to work fine with PE 13. 

And thank you for your kind words about my progress.  Everything seemed to come together between Midnight and 3 A.M. this morning.  It often does for me.

I will work on what you said about eliminating the default sound (or any sound) behind the menu.  Will let you know if I'm successful - or not.

You work 7 days a week?  What is the name of this slave camp?                            Bill

• 38. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Bill North

Thanks for the wonderful progress report.

Onward to many greater and greater Premiere Elements projects.

ATR

• 39. Re: Why won't my PE 13 Sound Mixer and Smart Mix "hold" new settings when I change them? They almost always revert to the defaults when I leave their screens.
                                                                                    Bill in Burbank Level 1

Thank you, A.T.   Maybe I can return in a very small way the favor.  I stumbled upon an easy way to eliminate the too-loud soundtracks behind the menus.

-Go to movie menu-Click on adjustments-Go to the audio section-Click on In-Point-Enter a ridiculous number of seconds. I entered 49:00-Click on Duration-Enter any old number of seconds because you'll never get to it.-Click on "Apply to all Menus"-Click on "Done" in upper right-hand corner of screen

It worked for me.  I tried to substitute a new audio clip that I had made silent with the yellow line as you suggested.However, when I substituted it for the default audio track, somehow it always included a short narration clip that was test for my new mike and sound setup.  I could not get rid of it.  I listened to every narration file in Project Assets and "cleared" those that were a test and not used in the video. Couldn't get rid of it on the menu audio.  Did not know where it could be stored for the menu.

So, after re-reading how to make menus, I read about in-points and durations and thought I might be able to "fool" the program with the above scenario.  It worked for me.  There is no audio in my menu - - - unless I leave it on for 49 seconds!

I've rendered the project and about to encode it and make my first test disc to see how the sound is on my DVD player on my TV.  I want it low enough that it doesn't blast people when it first comes on.  Hate that.  Better to turn it up a little at the TV than blast your ears.   I'm sure I'll have to spend time making adjustments.

If you'd like to see it, I could send it to you by USPS or by the Internet - - if you could show me how to do it.  It won't be ready for a couple of days.

Again, thank you for all your help.  I did fine until I ran into the sound problems.  A lot to figure out and consider there. But I like my system of using SmartMix and then modifying it as needed with the yellow lines and keyframe markers.  Didn't have to worry about volume changing in Audio Mixer.                                                                                Bill North                                                                                Burbank, California

1 2 Previous Next