15 Replies Latest reply on Jul 16, 2006 12:04 PM by Newsgroup_User

Getting website online

skives
      I have made my website in dreamweaver 8 and I have my hosting through Godaddy.com. I can't seem to get it online though. Every time I try to upload it says error cannot connect to ftp sever. I have put the entire folder that contains the files of my website onto the ftp sever from godaddy's online thing they have but when I type in www.maddenballerz.com it is just blank. Does anyone know what to do? Has anyone used godaddy to host a site? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
      John
        • 1. Re: Getting website online
          don Carlos Level 1
          I ran from Godaddy when one of my clients sign up with them, HOWEVER, they should have provided you ftp instructions when you signed up. If you did your Site Definition in DW correctly AND the Test Connection worked, the DW should be able to upload your fires correctly. IF you can connect to the site, check the Remote view. You should see a temporary home page IF they put one up for you. If all that works, you're ready to rumble. Sometimes, hosting providers are better at hardware and sales than at communication and service. If none of the above applies, see if they will answer the mail. The key tends to be the root server they tell you to log in to.

Buena Suerte, amigo

Karl
          aka don Carlos de la Playa
          • 2. Re: Getting website online
            SClukey
            I set up a godaddy account for a client about a month ago and they didn't automatically set up the ftp account, so you might have to log into your account, go to your web hosting accounts and open the control panel then go to the ftp client. That should take you to a page that lets you set up an ftp account.
            • 3. Re: Getting website online
              Level 7
              In your embedded CSS, your background image is referencing your hard drive:
              "skives" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
              news:e999p5$1mk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
              >I have made my website in dreamweaver 8 and I have my hosting through
              > Godaddy.com. I can't seem to get it online though. Every time I try to
              > upload
              > it says error cannot connect to ftp sever. I have put the entire folder
              > that
              > contains the files of my website onto the ftp sever from godaddy's online
              > thing
              > they have but when I type in www.maddenballerz.com it is just blank. Does
              > anyone know what to do? Has anyone used godaddy to host a site? Any help
              > would
              > be appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks,
              > John
              >

• 4. Re: Getting website online
                Level 7
                Sorry, cat walked on the keyboard...
                1. In your embedded CSS, your background image is referencing your hard
                drive:
                background-image:
                url(file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/John%20Shier/Desktop/home_bg.jpg);
                2. in your CSS file http://www.maddenballerz.com/emx_nav_left.css you have
                html.
                Address these two and post back.
                Hope this helps
                Jo

"skives" <webforumsuser@macromedia.com> wrote in message
                news:e999p5$1mk$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                >I have made my website in dreamweaver 8 and I have my hosting through
                > Godaddy.com. I can't seem to get it online though. Every time I try to
                > upload
                > it says error cannot connect to ftp sever. I have put the entire folder
                > that
                > contains the files of my website onto the ftp sever from godaddy's online
                > thing
                > they have but when I type in www.maddenballerz.com it is just blank. Does
                > anyone know what to do? Has anyone used godaddy to host a site? Any help
                > would
                > be appreciated.
                >
                > Thanks,
                > John
                >

• 5. Re: Getting website online
                  DLoe
                  Karl,
                  You say you ran from GoDaddy. What issue did you have with GoDaddy? I just signed up to test their hosting, and I may move all of my clients if it works out.

Thanks for any input you can give.

• 6. Re: Getting website online
                    Level 7
                    On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:46:26 +0300, "josie1one"
                    <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote:

>2. in your CSS file http://www.maddenballerz.com/emx_nav_left.css you have
                    >html.

Actually the html is a 404 page because the css file is not there.

Gary
                    • 7. Re: Getting website online
                      Level 7
                      What did I miss? I looked at the CSS and saw the _emx-nav_left.css had
                      html...?
                      Jo

"Gary White" <reply@newsgroup.please> wrote in message
                      news:nd9ib29l2gogirgr4fj3ivesf7673dbk4k@4ax.com...
                      > On Sat, 15 Jul 2006 19:46:26 +0300, "josie1one"
                      > <joleros[nospam]@yahoo.com> wrote:
                      >
                      >>2. in your CSS file http://www.maddenballerz.com/emx_nav_left.css you have
                      >>html.
                      >
                      >
                      > Actually the html is a 404 page because the css file is not there.
                      >
                      > Gary

• 8. Re: Getting website online
                        Level 7
                        On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:46:27 +0300, "josie1one"

>What did I miss? I looked at the CSS and saw the _emx-nav_left.css had
                        >html...?

When I looked at it (or tried to) I got a file not found error page.
                        That error page was html. The file appears to be there now and doesn't
                        have html in it.

Gary
                        • 9. Re: Getting website online
                          Level 7
                          Yes, completely different now - perhaps OP picked up enough from everybody
                          to sort himself out. No html in that file now and all images appear (from
                          quick look) to be correct.
                          Jo

news:j04kb292hm1iaf4msui7cbdk6k3379um6v@4ax.com...
                          > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 02:46:27 +0300, "josie1one"
                          >
                          >>What did I miss? I looked at the CSS and saw the _emx-nav_left.css had
                          >>html...?
                          >
                          > When I looked at it (or tried to) I got a file not found error page.
                          > That error page was html. The file appears to be there now and doesn't
                          > have html in it.
                          >
                          > Gary

• 10. Re: Getting website online
                            Level 7
                            On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:52:08 +0300, "josie1one"

>Yes, completely different now - perhaps OP picked up enough from everybody
                            >to sort himself out. No html in that file now and all images appear (from
                            >quick look) to be correct.

Yep. But all the absolute positioning is going to bite him/her sooner or
                            later. <sigh>

Gary
                            • 11. Re: Getting website online
                              Level 7
                              Oh yes... not to mention the Halo template - Murray's back and is sure to
                              mention this (o;
                              Jo

news:r8jkb2datljuphmqgl26l1222mjkhoddte@4ax.com...
                              > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 16:52:08 +0300, "josie1one"
                              >
                              >>Yes, completely different now - perhaps OP picked up enough from everybody
                              >>to sort himself out. No html in that file now and all images appear (from
                              >>quick look) to be correct.
                              >
                              >
                              > Yep. But all the absolute positioning is going to bite him/her sooner or
                              > later. <sigh>
                              >
                              > Gary

• 12. Re: Getting website online
                                Level 7
                                On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:22:58 +0300, "josie1one"

>Oh yes... not to mention the Halo template - Murray's back and is sure to
                                >mention this (o;

Shhhh... don't tell him.

Gary
                                • 13. Re: Getting website online
                                  Level 7
                                  >...and all images appear (from quick look) to be correct.

Except for this:
                                  background-image:
                                  url(file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/John%20Shier/Desktop/home_bg.jpg)and
                                  the external CSS file has:background: #cccccc url(bg_grad.jpg) fixed

• 14. Re: Getting website online
                                    Level 7
                                    So it is - that's what I mentioned in my first response, (bg.jpg) I should
                                    have checked.
                                    Jo

"Alan Smithee Jr." <spam@this.org> wrote in message
                                    news:e9e1qh$g7u$1@forums.macromedia.com...
                                    > >...and all images appear (from quick look) to be correct.
                                    >
                                    >
                                    > Except for this:
                                    > background-image:
                                    > url(file:///C|/Documents%20and%20Settings/John%20Shier/Desktop/home_bg.jpg)and
                                    > the external CSS file has:background: #cccccc url(bg_grad.jpg) fixed
                                    >

• 15. Re: Getting website online
                                      Level 7
                                      OK, I won't if you don't
                                      Jo

news:ve0lb2595ks5e73l4faf2pt5fsat0vi709@4ax.com...
                                      > On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 19:22:58 +0300, "josie1one"
                                      >
                                      >>Oh yes... not to mention the Halo template - Murray's back and is sure to
                                      >>mention this (o;
                                      >
                                      >
                                      > Shhhh... don't tell him.
                                      >
                                      > Gary