1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 6:21 AM by Cari Jansen

I am trying use Data Merge to create a report with varying images.

hdir0n

Hello,

I am trying to utilize Data Merge to create a report with images that vary in number from day to day. I would have a first and last page that would remain the same, and I would just be filling in content for the body.

If I have the images in a column in my csv, and have one image per page it makes a first page with one image for body and a last page then repeats this all the way through the images instead of making the

first page then all the images and then following with the last page I have found that if I make the csv images in a row format calling each image out for the maximum number of images I can add them no problem, but I have blank pages.

Is there a way to print to pdf or export as pdf where it will remove the blank pages and renumber the pages.

Thanks,

-Glenn

• 1. Re: I am trying use Data Merge to create a report with varying images.
          Cari Jansen Adobe Community Professional

Hope I'm understanding your question properly. It's always difficult without actually seeing a visual. See if the below options are of help, if not, try posting some screenshots if possible of what it is you are trying to do so we can help out better.

There are a number of ways in which you could tackle having a different first and last page as part of a data merged document you are creating – still using your original set-up in the csv file: columns.

Option 1:

• Run your data merge in a document that does NOT contain the first and last page as document pages. Instead design the first and last page designs as two separate master pages (see: Master pages).
          • You'd thus generate a document that contains all the images as you'd like to have them: one per page.
          • After you've run the data merge, insert a new page at the start of the document (Layout > Pages > Insert Pages), and apply the master page you've created for the first page.
          • Additionally repeat this same step for the last page, insert a new page at the end of the document and apply the master page you've created for the last page.

Option 2:

• Create an InDesign document for the first page.
          • Create an InDesign document for the last page.
          • Run your data merge in a document that does NOT contain the first and last page as document pages. So you end up with the body of the publication.
          • You can now use the Book feature to combine the three documents and produce a single PDF (see: Creating book files).