7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 4:58 PM by A.T. Romano

I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.

craigb531

I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival. What option is best for that? I tried the one for windows media, it leaves a border around it in You Tube. Also the AVCHD saved to DVD looks aweful. What setting will meet the edges of the screen when uploading to Youtube and make the best DVD?

Message was edited by: Ann Bens: edited title.

• 1. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
          A.T. Romano Level 7

craigb

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

My first impression is that you have not arrived at appropriate project and export settings for your specific situation for your Premiere Elements projects. And, there seems to be some indecision on what your end product will be, that is, DVD-VIDEO standard or widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc. And, then again do you want a disc or file end product? What specifically are the video requirements for your film festival?

1. What are the properties of what you are using to put together for your project's Timeline content?

2. What is the project preset that you (manually) or the project (automatically) has set to match the properties of those source files?

Some key consideration

1. Resolution....NTSC DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc is going to have frame size of 720 x 480 whether standard or widescreen. But, the widescreen will have a 16:9 flag that directs the player to stretch the video to about 856 x 480 pixels for display after encoding; whereas, AVCHD on DVD can have resolution of 1920 x 1080.

2. Playback...DVD-VIDEO on DVD disc, TV DVD player; AVCHD DVD, needs blu-ray players that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi format players that supports AVCHD DVD.

3. Depending on your player, you could always export to file, transfer the file to USB Flash Drive or memory card, and insert that in your player if the player supports that type of format on USB Flash Drive or memory card.

We can be more specific in reply if we know at least

a. version of Premiere Elements and computer operating system

b. properties of source media

c. requirements for your export

Please review and consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
            craigb531 Level 1

Hi and thank you for responding to my post. I admit to being a bit ignorant

about some of the information. I am a better filmer than editor I'm

affraid. I'll do my best to outline my details.

I have Premier Elements 12, I am using a new Lenovo with i5 quadcore

processor, 8 GB ram and 2 TB hard drive. So the system meets the

requirements. I filmed everything on a Canon Vixia HDG20 camera and am not

sure how to find the source footage settings. I imagine they are default

for that camera as I have not made changes to it.

I am trying to save it as a Widescreen 1080 format and want to export it to

DVD. I have tried the AVCHD and XACH-S but they play back a bit jumpy.

Possibly my video card is not good enough for that setting. The Media

setting seems to save nicely but leaves a black border around the picture.I

need to save it as either 24 or 30 to a DVD for submission. I hope this is

enough information. Basically I just need to save it in the best quality

possible and minus the black frame, which is I assume because my source

footage and is not matching the sequence.

Craig

On Thu, Jun 4, 2015 at 1:33 PM, A.T. Romano <forums_noreply@adobe.com>

• 3. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
              A.T. Romano Level 7

craigb

Thanks for the additional information.

Since the best possible project and export settings are going to depend on the exact properties of the source, I think it best to obtain them and/or confirm with a video audio properties read out program such as MediaInfo (and its View Menu/Tree view of that information).

Frame Rate 1920 x 1080 or other?

Frame Rate 24p, 30p, 60i?

If interlaced video, are the problems in the clip mainly in areas where there is more motion than in other areas of the clip?

If you do download and install MediaInfo, just be careful of your choices  during download and install in order to avoid unwanted baggage with the MediaInfo download and install.

MediaInfo download | SourceForge.net

Best case scenario would be

1. You recorded 1920 x 1080@ 29.97 progressive frame per second

2. Your project preset is

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

(See Edit Menu/Project Settings/General to confirm)

3. You export to file

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

or

You can burn to DVD disc

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset for NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc.

or

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD

for DVD disc with preset for one of the 1920 x 1080 presets....to be discussed.

Please consider.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
                craigb531 Level 1

Fantastic! Yes the DVD burn was good and the NTSC at 1080 seemed to work

out well. Thank you very much. It was 29.97 and 1900 by 1080

Craig

• 5. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Craig

Thanks for the great news of "Fantastic". Glad that you obtained the type of video end product that you sought. Great job.

But, don't you mean 1920 x 1080 and nt 1900 x 1080?

Whatever the case, best wishes with your film festival entry.

ATR

• 6. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
                    craigb531 Level 1

Yes, typing with one hand on the phones. Sorry. On my dinner break. Ha,

editing whenever time permit.

• 7. Re: I want to save my movie in the best resolution for burning to DVD for a film festival.
                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Craig

Progress great.

Please do hesitate to ask if you have further questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR