14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 1:15 AM by Peter Spier

Working on a Product Label Series

skywaystudios Level 1

Hi,

i'm used to designing for print in Illustrator.  But a recent project require a series of variations of the same artwork for different flavors.

I'm new to ID, but i think this is what people use this for, so i'm wondering what people;s workflows are for doing product lines.

1) do you use CSV with data merge to create different versions with the individual text for each label?

2) how do you deal with switching common design elements, such as background or logo, is there a way to create linked files like in PS / AI ?  

3) i've tried copy and pasting a group of vectors for a logo in AI, and when it imports in ID there are a lot of issues such as weird white shapes where there should be transparency.

4)is margin how people set up for bleed?

5) and last, most important, is there a way to export the multiple data merge functions similar to artboards in AI?  so i can export them all at once for print?

thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
          Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

1. I would make the different variations in different layers that you could turn on or off (if it is a small number of variations. Or use Master Pages for common elements and use different pages for differing design elements.

2. Again, Master Pages or Layers or Pages.

3. Try saving the logo in AI and placing (File > Place) a linked file into InDesign. Avoid copynpasting.

4. Bleed is setup in the Document Setup (File > Document Setup) and is quite similar between Illy and Indy.

5. Export to PDF

1 person found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
            skywaystudios Level 1

Thanks for your quick response.

1+2) so master pages are like a template page, and ALL its elements are carried over into derivative pages? meaning if i put my background art, and text boxes, i can then make a 'page' which is really like a version of the master page? 

i will try saving and placing the logo to see if it will make a difference.   copy / pasting was recommended for shapes, so i thought i'd try it.

5) regarding export to PDF, will the export create a separate document for each page, or will it make a multi-page document?

and last 6) if i were making diecut stickers, how would i best handle the ALPHA layer (for making diecut path, or spot gloss)   would i have to export it separately as a different file?

• 3. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
              Michael Witherell Adobe Community Professional

5. A multi-page document. There is an action in Acrobat that can separate out pages. There is a javascript you can google to export a series of individual PDFs out of InDesign, IIRC.

6. Diecut shapes make me think of layers again, but you should consult your specialty printer for setting it up exactly as they like it.

• 4. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

I would also put die lines and varnishes on a separate layer, just so you can turn them off easily while editing the other parts of the labels. Don't forget to create Spot colors for both, and to set the objects to overprint using the Attributes panel.

1 person found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                  skywaystudios Level 1

So i've tried to 'place' a EPS / AI file that i 'saved as'.. i'm still getting crazy artifacts around the shadow / gradient area, even when viewing full quality.

what's the best way to save a layered AI logo, with multiple paths/gradients, and some shadow / glow effects?   and is the shadow / glow what could be causing the issue?

regarding the layers, ok, so as long as i make a master page with the die lines / varnish on it, and then build my various text versions from this.

sorry for all the questions, but for some reason i would have thought that this program was a lot more seamless just like working between PS and AI has been for years...

• 6. Re: Working on a Product Label Series

Is it an EPS, or an AI file? Do you see the artifacts in an exported PDF?

• 7. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                      skywaystudios Level 1

I tried both.  The somehow the AI file all the sudden started working, after i placed it twice?  and then i deleted the first one.  really strange. 

I also tested it with a PDF, and that worked, but I wanted to keep everything in vector as long as possible.

Now, i've made the first template, with background vector shapes, an AI Logo file that has been placed, and Text boxes.

when i tried duplicating pages, or conforming to master, i either get a blank background with no placeholder text, or I get the full template but cannot edit.

what is the proper method for creating derivatives of the master template so that:

1) the logo file and artwork are referenced to the master page

2) the text boxes are editable directly, with the styling, color , proportions already set up through the master template

• 8. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                        skywaystudios Level 1

I also might add, there are 2 text boxes which I would like to have control on the master page ..

I hope this makes sense.  in other programs, i've used to creating with referenced content, and having the option to "break"  the link and begin editing this independent section.

• 9. Re: Working on a Product Label Series

PDF does not change the type of content. Vector remains vector.

To override a master frame onto the document page hold Shift + Cmd (Mac) or Shift + Ctrl (Windows) and click on it with the mouse.

• 10. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                            skywaystudios Level 1

thanks for the PDF clarification!  i didn't know that

ok, i think i see now, but i just want to confirm.  i added multiple text boxes, all on a separate layer, to the master page.

when i use option drag to make a page A, page B etc.  now i can edit the text with option - shift -click , but i noticed that as soon as i edit text, that there was actually TWO copies of the text layer.

this is confusing to me, as i never dupllicated the text layers.  the logical step would now be to delete the text on the master page since it is in the subpages, but how it got there in the first place is not clear..  id love to know if there is something i did by accident that created this extra layer, but i can't really see why that is unless it's a bug

• 11. Re: Working on a Product Label Series

If you assign a new master to a page after overriding an object the master objects will be recreated behind.

• 12. Re: Working on a Product Label Series
                                skywaystudios Level 1

how does it work, to add a new element / text layer to a master page?

i would like to add a new graphic detail (New placed item), and also two new text boxes, to appear in the same position on the series.

and one of these new text boxes will be overridden in the various products.

right now, after i've made the necessary changes, i tried "apply master" command but no result..

• 13. Re: Working on a Product Label Series

That should do it. Perhaps the new content is hidden behind objects on the document pages.

On any given layer, master page objects are always behind objects you add on the document page. You may need to add an additional layer or layers to get the stacking order you need.