10 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:41 AM by sem28670904

Choosing a laptop: I have two choices

sem28670904 Level 1

I have two laptops to choose from for Premiere editing and Photoshopping. There will be a ton a videos to edit, but nothing over 2 min and nothing fancy that requires a lot of rendering. I know these are the most desirable, but the budget was decreased.

Lenovo y50

Intel core i5 4th Gen

8GB RAM

1 TB HD + 8 GB SSHD

NVIDIA GTX 860M

and...

Lenovo z710

Intel core i7 4710MQ

2.4 Ghz

8GB RAM

1 TB HD

GeForce 745

The prices are the same. And I will be upgrading to 16GB RAM.

So...

I realize the i7 is better on the z710. It's quadcore right? But the i5 isn't?

I don't even know the processing speed on the y50.  But the 8GB SSHD adds something significant, does it not? And the graphics card is better...

Which one should I choose?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
          Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The CPU is the first most important Item.  Definitely the z710 is by far the better choice between the two.

What I find interesting is that Intel specifications for the i7 4710MQ actually are 2.5 GHz

Here is the info on the dual core i5

That Hybrid drive with the little SSD is of little value and worst of all the hard drive portion is a 5400rpm drive

Be careful what z710 you are looking at:  "Standard Z710 models come with 1366 x 768 widescreen resolution."  That is below Adobe Premiere standard requirements.  Also some of the Z710's that I looked at the 1TB drive is also 5400 rpm.  If you get this in any unit that you find t would strongly suggest upgrading to a (good) SSD.  

These units have USB3 ports.  If you get one of the better USB3 Flash Drives and you do the internal drive upgrade to SSD you will have a fairly decent Premiere editing computer for most 1080 media.

• 2. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
            sem28670904 Level 1

Oh damn! I just noticed the z710 can't uprade RAM! It's stuck at 8GB. That's not good...

• 3. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
              RjL190365 Level 4

Actually, you can upgrade the RAM in that z710. You just need to remove the two 4GB sticks and replace them with two 8GB sticks since there are only two SO-DIMM slots in that laptop.

• 4. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                chrison

Why not take a look at the HP ENVY 17-J140US.

It's got decent specs and costs around $900, so around the same as the ones you mentioned.

Specs:

2.5GHz 4th generation Intel Core i7-4710MQ Processor

12 GB DDR3L SDRAM memory

1TB hybrid hard drive (1TB 5400RPM + 8GB NAND) with HP ProtectSmart Hard Drive Protection

17-inch Screen, Intel HD graphics 4600

I suppose the graphics card is the only issue but everything else is perfect. It's also very good reviews and this article speaks quite highly of it.

• 5. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                  Bill Gehrke Adobe Community Professional & MVP

No CUDA GPU would kill the deal for me.  On this laptop I just tested the playback of our Premiere Pro BenchMark (PPBM) very complex H.264 timeline at 1/2 resolution and with no GPU assist it dropped 575 frames and then with GPU assist it was was only 72 frames.

• 6. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                    JFPhoton Level 3

...last year Bill and I bought the Asus G750JW gaming laptop to use with PPro.  I found mine refurbished, but, it arrived like new ,with all the plastic on it. It had a strong i7 4700HQ CPU which turbos on all 4 cores under load up to 3.4 Ghz....great for a laptop and great cooling system, too. The NVidia GPU was the 765m with 2 GB of DDR5 video memory.

...it only cost me $850 instead of $1,400, but, I had to upgrade it myself. I put 16GB of additional memory in, ( could not access all four slots...only two ), to make the total 24GB of memory.

...then, I removed the the stock crappy HDD, ( a 1 TB 5400 rpm drive ), and placed two separate Crucial M500 SSDs into the machine, ( it has two HDD bays ). The performance is great !!   It even has a thunderbolt port AND HDMI 1.4, either of which I can connect my Acer WQHD IPS 1440p monitor to....running at full resolution at 60 fps !

...currently, you may find deals like that on NEWER models of Asus ROG gaming laptops.......just be very careful to find out EXACTLY how many memory slots are in the specific machine, and IF they are user accessible !! Some new machines have two 8 GB sticks in the inaccessible slots and two more user accessible slots that are empty....so you can have 32GB total memory.

...the newer models may have 8XX, or, 9xx series NVidia mobile GPUs which are better than ours....try and find one with at least 4 GB of video memory....this helps with 4K video.    Make sure you will have AT LEAST 24 GB of system memory and a screen which is at least 1920 x 1080 resolution.

...GOOD HUNTING !!

• 7. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                      Ed2149

If you are on a budget then I would either get something the above suggested Asus and then replace part when you can afford to, or get something from a custom builder where you can specify parts and so reduce wasted $'s and plan your upgrade path. XoticPc or Cyberpower would be two places so start looking for greater choice of Chasis with the former including some brand names such as Asus.

Not knowing your budget but seeing the Lenovo Y50 on their website for $850 with dicsount then something like this could be a potential jumping off point with the main limiting factor being the factor it only supports a single SSD/HDD but does have msata expansion plus RAM tops out at 16GB, Other models on Xotic will go up to  32GB of RAM with dual drive spaces but these chasis are more expensive.

https://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/FANGBOOK_III_HX6-200_Gaming_Laptop

• 8. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                        sem28670904 Level 1

Thanks!

I'm in Canada, so the deals aren't as great as in the US

Also, there will be no 4k editing.

I've also been editing with Premiere Pro with 16GB RAM and an onboard video card for a year and half. It's been fine for the 2 min videos and not a lot of rendering...

• 9. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                          sem28670904 Level 1

Is that correct? I get the impression that the machine wouldn't RESPOND to having 16 GB Ram??

• 10. Re: Choosing a laptop: I have two choices
                            sem28670904 Level 1

The ASUS ROG was the first choice actually. But the budget decreased. I'm actually looking for something under $1000 Canadian. (Yes, I know, it's kind of ridiculous!)