12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 9:11 PM by A.T. Romano

Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13

CarbonCamaroSS

Every time I try to import a recording from Master Chief Collection, it comes out all glitchy looking. I record it with my HD PVR 2 Gaming Ed. Pro at 1920x1080p 60 FPS, but with this capture card it is capable of recording at that, but then drops the FPS down to 30 FPS after saving the file.

The video is appearing to have issues with framerate. When I watch my recorded footage on Windows Media Player, it plays just fine. No tearing, no issues with the frame rate. The fades from when you die to the screen going black, and then spawning you back in is not laggy looking. But when I put it into Premiere Elements 13, the quality drops tremendously.

I rendered it in multiple layouts. I tried .MP4 1920x1080p and YouTube HD 1920x1080p 30 FPS. None of which works right. Even after doing a quality test and uploading to YouTube to see if it fixes it, it still has the problem. I also tried lowering the FPS and none of them seem to work.

I was told it had to do with the fact that Adobe can't handle 60 FPS, but when I had the trial it worked for Forza (which runs 1080p 60 FPS on Xbox as well). The only other video I have tried so far on my purchased version is The Crew, but that runs at 30 FPS.

Computer: i7 4710 2.50 GH/z laptop, 16 GB RAM, NVIDIA 850M

Video Editor: Adobe Premiere Elements 13

Recorder: HD PVR 2 Gaming Edition Pro @ 1080p/60FPS on a .mp4 file

Video with the issues: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtpf7R4aq9w[1]

Also, another issue is the audio is off. But it is another thing that I don't notice after recording. It's like the software can't handle this recording at all. Should I get a refund through Adobe (I bought it for the $30 discount about 2 weeks back off their website) and get their latest version? Although I don't really want to get a monthly trial. Or do I need to change the settings in my recording studio?

• 1. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
          Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

Premiere Elements can certainly work with 1080p60 video, Justin. The more likely issue is that your screen capture software is storing your video with a non-standard video codec.

To know which codec it's using, you'll need to open a sample of your video in either G Spot or Media Info. Note the resolution, frame rate and, above all, the audio and video codecs the video is using.

The preview you're seeing on your Premiere Elements timeline is not a good indicator of quality of your finished piece. A number of factors can affect the preview quality.Only outputting a 1080p video and playing it on a quality media player (like the VLC Media Player) will tell you if Premiere Elements is reducing the quality of the video.

• 2. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
            CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

Okay, I get the following with the footage recorded straight out of my capture device. This is all from VLC Media Player

Stream 0

Audio

Codec: MPEG AAC Audio (mp4a)

Channels: Stereo

Sample Rate: 48000 Hz

Stream 1

Video

Codec: MPEG-4 AVC (part 10) (avc 1)

Res: 1920 x 1080

Frame Rate: 29.94

Decoded Format: Planar 4:2:0 YUV

• 3. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
              A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCamaroSS

When the troubleshooting already in progress is concluded and depending on the result, please consider by comments and suggestions.

I do not believe that your issues go to the video's video or audio compression and such.

But rather to a variable rather than a constant frame rate. Premiere Elements (any version) does not fare well with video recorded with variable frame rates (as suggested by your "29.94" instead of 29.97 frame rate. The typical fix for this situation is to take your video into the free HandBrake to get H.264.mp4 with a constant instead of variable frame rate. https://handbrake.fr/

More than just variable vs constant frame rate may need to be looked at, project and export settings etc. But, the variable vs constant frame rate would be at the top of my must check list. To confirm variable vs constant frame rate existing, you can take the video into MediaInfo (its Tree) view and look for the number of frame rate fields. If 3, minimum frame rate, frame rate, maximum frame rate, then you know that variable vs constant frame rate is a troubleshooting consideration.

Thank you.

ATR

• 4. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

Luckily I had already installed MediaInfo via someone else's request.

Format Settings, Re-Frames: 3 frames

Frame Rate Mode: Constant

Frame Rate: 29.970 fps

My bit rate appears to be the only thing that is classified as "Variable" and is at 11.1 Mbs

• 5. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                  CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

I ran the video through Handbrake and that has cleared up the issue of framerate problems.

But a new one has showed up where it places the audio about 2-3 seconds behind the video.

• 6. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCamaroSS

Thanks for the good news of progress.

I suspect you can get to full success exploring closing the project and export settings.

If indicated, please pursue that following follow up once you have concluded the troubleshooting that was already in progress when I first commented in your thread.

From your MediaInfo reading, did you learn if your frame rate was interlaced or progressive? And, if interlaced, whether bottom or top field first?

From what you have written, it would appear that you have 1920 x 1080 @ 29.97 frames per second. Just want to make sure that, if you have 1080p, you are not running into a Premiere Elements project preset of 1080i.

If you have 1080p source and the project is not setting a project preset to match that description for you automatically, then you set the project preset manually (File Menu/New/Project).

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@ 29.97

Manual project preset using

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Another factor to watch out for is the bitrate of the audio and the bitrate of the video.

When you wrote

I ran the video through Handbrake and that has cleared up the issue of framerate problems.

But a new one has showed up where it places the audio about 2-3 seconds behind the video.

But, do go back and review your HandBrake settings.

• 7. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                      CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

First off, for the video information from MediaInfo, here is the Text Tree from the Halo video...

General

Complete name                            : D:\Videos\Halo\Halo Footage 2.mp4

Format                                   : MPEG-4

Format profile                           : Base Media / Version 2

Codec ID                                 : mp42

File size                                : 629 MiB

Duration                                 : 7mn 55s

Overall bit rate mode                    : Variable

Overall bit rate                         : 11.1 Mbps

Encoded date                             : UTC 2015-05-25 20:05:32

Tagged date                              : UTC 2015-05-25 20:05:32

Video

ID                                       : 2

Format                                   : AVC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Video Codec

Format profile                           : High@L4

Format settings, CABAC                   : Yes

Format settings, ReFrames                : 3 frames

Codec ID                                 : avc1

Codec ID/Info                            : Advanced Video Coding

Source duration                          : 7mn 55s

Source_Duration_FirstFrame               : 612ms

Bit rate                                 : 10.5 Mbps

Width                                    : 1 920 pixels

Height                                   : 1 080 pixels

Display aspect ratio                     : 16:9

Frame rate mode                          : Constant

Frame rate                               : 29.970 fps

Standard                                 : Component

Color space                              : YUV

Chroma subsampling                       : 4:2:0

Bit depth                                : 8 bits

Scan type                                : Progressive

Bits/(Pixel*Frame)                       : 0.169

Stream size                              : 597 MiB (95%)

Source stream size                       : 622 MiB (99%)

Language                                 : English

Color range                              : Limited

Color primaries                          : BT.709

Transfer characteristics                 : BT.709

Matrix coefficients                      : BT.709

mdhd_Duration                            : 475616

Audio

ID                                       : 1

Format                                   : AAC

Format/Info                              : Advanced Audio Codec

Format profile                           : LC

Codec ID                                 : 40

Bit rate mode                            : Variable

Bit rate                                 : 122 Kbps

Maximum bit rate                         : 240 Kbps

Channel(s)                               : 2 channels

Channel positions                        : Front: L R

Sampling rate                            : 48.0 KHz

Compression mode                         : Lossy

Stream size                              : 6.98 MiB (1%)

Language                                 : English

As for Adobe's Settings, yes it was set to "1080i" instead of 1080p @ 29.970 FPS. I fixed that, thanks.

For the audio, it basically goes as the following.

1.) Record video, playing the video right after recording it runs just fine in Windows Media Player.

2.) Ran the video through HandBrake, it fixed the frame rate problem, but caused a new issue where the audio is about 2-3 seconds delayed behind the video. This is how it runs before ever even touching Adobe Premiere Elements 13.

3.) If I throw the new format of the video into Adobe, the audio delay gets worse after rendering.

Finally, for HandBrake. I used the following settings.

Output Settings:

Container: MP4

Video:

Video Codec: H.264 (x264)

Framerate: 29.97, Constant Framerate

Quality was left at default, as was Optimize Video.

I didn't touch any other settings in Video, nor did I touch anything in Audio.

Looking at the Properties on each video (the original one and the NEW one I ran through HandBrake), the following changes happened.

The Video's Data Rate increased from 10965 kbps to 11319 kbps.

The Video's Total Bitrate increased from 11088 kbps to 11473 kbps

The Audio's Bit rate increased from 122 kbps to 153 kbps

And the video's length increased 1 second.

Thanks for helping, hopefully this additional helps further.

• 8. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCamarosSS

Thanks for the follow up with great information.

We will be watching for your progress.

Best wishes

ATR

• 9. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                          CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

I have been playing with this for what feels like hours. I can't get this audio delay problem figured out.

• 10. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCamaroSS

You could make a copy of the original project and see if the following is a quick way out of the issue....

Right click the file where you have your video and audio linked, and select Unlink Audio and Video from the pop up menu.

With the audio selected, hold down the Alt key of the computer main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key once. Each tap of the arrow key will nudge the audio 1 frame. If you hold down the Shift+Alt keys of the computer main keyboard and tap the right or left arrow key once, each tap of the arrow key will nudge the audio 5 frames.

ATR

• 11. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                              CarbonCamaroSS Level 1

So I have found some settings on my capture card, one of which is to raise the video quality from 11 MB/s to 14 MB/s and the other is changing from Variable to Constant. This coupled with running the video through Handbrake has appeared to fix all issues.

Thanks for the help!

• 12. Re: Frame rate quality is low when creating my Xbox recorded video on Adobe Premiere Elements 13
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

CarbonCamaroSS

Thank you for updating us with great news of success. Great job of follow through.

That variable frame rate can be a problem for Premiere Elements, so glad that this type of problem is responding to the conversion of variable to constant frame rate with a variety of programs.

As your schedule permits, please let us know if any questions about your Premiere Elements workflows.

Best wishes

ATR