2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 3:31 PM by Marc Trzepla

Adding Back Pulldown - Preventing Fields from Straddling

Marc Trzepla

I have a project that's 23.976 - the footage, comps, effects and 3D renders are all at 23.976.

When rendering out, I will choose Field Render (Upper Field First) and 3:2 Pulldown (one of the patterns..) so that my final movie is 29.97 with pulldown added.

Is there a way to get After Effects to respect the hard edit / cut between shots so that a field from one shot doesn't straddle a field from the next shot?      Yes, I can alter the 3:2 Pulldown pattern until it works for one edit, but it's very whack-a-mole; other edits that used to be whole frame -> to whole frame become blended and vice versa.

Maybe I'm being obsessive, but I personally think you shouldn't be able to see two shots at the same time, even if it is only for one field of time.     It looks sloppy.

A colleague suggested rendering each shot out individually w/Pulldown and then bringing the 29.97 renders back in to After Effects and assembling my edit again, but I wanted to see if there was a faster / easier / that makes more sense way of doing this.     Attached is a mockup showing what happens with my 24-to-30 render.

Thanks,

Marc

Pulldown.jpg