3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 9:45 AM by A.T. Romano

Slide show quality in Premiere Elements 12?

Cortes Gary

Hello,

I know this question has come up many times but it seems that the "question is not answered"

So I am running Photoshop Elements and Premier Elements 12 on a Toshiba Satellite running Windows 7 Home Premium. I am not computer savvy. Could someone out there please, in simple language, with not any more questions, give me a step by step process to obtaining a high definition slide show with music from my vacation photos. I have tried numerous times and they all come out pixellated, cropped and poorly coloured when the DVD is viewed on a television screen or when the same DVD is played on the computer. This kind of project seems to be what this software is aimed at so am I asking for something unattainable?

Gary

• 1. Re: Slide show quality in Premiere Elements 12?
          A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary

More questions come with the territory, but I will try to keep them to a minimum and yet try to avoid a lot of "I assume" before each how to step.

Where do you want to make this slideshow...in Elements Organizer 12 Slideshow Editor with the burn to in Premiere Elements 12 Editor or all the work (creation and burn to) in the Premiere Elements 12 Editor? For now I will assume, everything done in Premiere Elements 12 Editor Expert workspace.

What do you want to produce - DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc or AVCHD format on DVD disc. Reminder - DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD should be playable on computer with player that supports that format as well as on regular DVD player standalone or TV regular DVD player. AVCHD on DVD is going to need a blu-ray player that supports AVCHD DVD or one of those multi format players that supports AVCHD DVD.

There are the basic steps....

1. If you have photos 3:2 or 4:3, crop them to 16:9 before import into Premiere Elements Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets. Without prior knowledge of the originals and your computer resources, I would suggest a crop to 1920 x 1080 16:9.

2. Before you import your photos, set the project preset manually to

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p30@29.97

Manual Set

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
          • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
          • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there

3. Then import your prepared photos into the project, along with music. Assumed for now that this is an all photos with music project.

4. Apply Movie Menu as wanted...do not put anyTimeline stop markers in AVCHD on DVD project or at the end of the last Timeline item in any project.

5. If you are going for DVD-VIDEO Widescreen on DVD disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

DVD disc

with preset = NTSC_Widescreen_Dolby DVD

If you are going for AVCHD format on DVD disc, then

Publish+Share

Disc

AVCHD disc

with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080i NTSC Dolby (default) which will give you video @ 29.97 interlaced frames per second.

or

with preset = H.264 1920 x 1080p NTSC Dolby which will give you video @ 23.97 progressive frames per second.

(whatever gives you the best results and whichever is supported by your player)

Lots of places to ask more questions and define the project further. But, let us see how we do with the above.

If you need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 2. Re: Slide show quality in Premiere Elements 12?
            Cortes Gary Level 1

ATR,

Thanks for taking the time and effort to reply to my question. Your assumption about the PE 12 Editor Workspace was correct as well as the assumption about DVD-Video Widescreen.

I will try and follow your instructions after I can get over my frustration of going through, not for the first time, the process of selecting, editing, adding text, selecting and adding music, adding titles, subtitles,and scenes and then ending up with what I think is an inferior slideshow. I have to add that we are talking about 15 minute to 55 minute slideshows. At a photo every eight seconds that a lot of photos to process!

So... my question then is, why when there have been so many people upset with their slideshow results- I know because I have seen many posts on many discussion groups- that the program(s) have not changed? Is there not a piece of software available that for a person with a low computer IQ will give a better than good slideshow? I mean, who has a low resolution TV these days? If I sound disappointed and frustrated, I am!

Thanks again for your reply,

Gary

• 3. Re: Slide show quality in Premiere Elements 12?
              A.T. Romano Level 7

Gary

Thanks for the follow up and looking into the suggestions to determine if they will work for you. I suspect that once you establish the Premiere Elements workflow that works for you, the process will sound easier, go smoothly, and give you good results.

You could also explore free Movie Maker that is available to the Windows computer in conjunction with the Windows DVD Maker.

Windows DVD Maker Free Download

(if you do not already have these free programs).

I think that you should be OK with Premiere Elements...do one step at a time. Maybe use the suggestions as a recipe for now, and then build on them to blend in your own creativity.

If any of the steps already mentioned are not understood, please stop, tell me where the step is not working for you, and I will try to find a way to get you beyond that step and to a successful end product.

ATR