4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 7:16 AM by Szalam

Green screen help needed!!!

mahervivie

I need to edit a video to look like this one using after effects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srUZopQ7UXQ

I was thinking of maybe inverting the green screen so the person is transparent, and then having a background video beneath that. I have no idea how to do this as I'm a beginner, any help or different ideas would be very much appreciated.

• 2. Re: Green screen help needed!!!
          mahervivie Level 1

i don't want to learn how to use the programme exstensively I'm only trying to do the one thing mentioned above for a school project, I was hoping for something specific.

• 3. Re: Green screen help needed!!!
            JohnyFive Level 2

Hi Mahervivie,

Just check out a tutorial online, like Motionsquared's tut: Advanced Keying Techniques in After Effects - Tutorial - YouTube

Make sure to set it to 32bit, AE is on 8bit on default. Go to Project panel...at the very bottom of that box, u will see  8bpc, click that and where it says depth, set it to 32, Keylight effect, which is found in Effect ---> Keying ---> Keylight...it's great for keying Hope that helps.

• 4. Re: Green screen help needed!!!
              Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

vivienne maher wrote:

i don't want to learn how to use the programme exstensively I'm only trying to do the one thing mentioned above for a school project, I was hoping for something specific.

The problem with AE is that it is a fairly complicated piece of software. In order to do "just one thing", you have to know a lot of other things. You may be able to follow a single tutorial like the one JohnyFive linked to, but you also might run into TONS of frustrations because AE is not as simple as you think.

You may want to key something out, but how do you get the footage into AE? You need to import it. Then what? It needs to go into a composition. That composition needs to be set up correctly - how do you do that? How do you even know what's correct? Your footage also has to be interpreted correctly. Should you be working in 8bpc, 16 bpc, or 32 bpc? Once you're done with your keying, how do you get the resulting shot out of AE? There are a bajillion render settings. How do you know which to choose?

Foundational elements such as working with compositions, keyframes, masking, color correction, and rendering are all necessary for a professional result. AE is not a "grab it and use it" kind of software.

And, don't worry, even if you go through all the tutorials on the page that Dave linked to, you still won't know AE extensively; those are just the basics.

It sounds like what you're asking for could be done in your editing software instead of AE (Premiere Pro, for example, does keying pretty well) if you don't want to take the time to know how to use AE.