5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 5, 2015 4:34 PM by paula28186741

Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem

paula28186741

When I move a folder from my local SSD to my server, the move happens fine, the files show up at the right place in both LR and on the server. Later, I'll start LR and the catalog shows a question mark at the original folder location(s) and the folder doesn't show up at the moved-to location. I can re-import the files from the server but now the catalog entry and the folders on the local device have doubled in size with each image duplicated. Also, none the attributes are there any more. I'm about ready to go back to the old, local version of LR.

Any ideas?

• 1. Re: Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem
          dj_paige Level 9

I don't know what is causing this. However

The proper way to get the photos to show up at the new location is described here: Adobe Lightroom - Find moved or missing files and folders In other words, re-importing is not a good thing to do in this situation (in fact, it's almost never a good thing to do, its almost always a bad thing to do).

I also point out that there's really little value in putting your photos on an SSD and then later moving them somewhere else. Ian Lyons did a study which showed only trivial speed improvements by putting photos on a SSD, and this trivial speed improvement is dwarfed by the time it takes you to do the move. Will an SSD Improve Adobe Lightroom Performance? | Computer Darkroom You ought to consider putting the photos on the server straight out of the camera and leaving them there, eliminating this particular problem.

• 2. Re: Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem
            paula28186741 Level 1

Thanks for the reply. My experience has been that editing (in PS) using a local SSD is _much_ faster in loading over my network from my server. The server(s) are there for security and moving them in LR is a background task while I’m doing something else. Thanks for the link though.

Paul

• 3. Re: Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem
              paula28186741 Level 1

Here's more data. LR is oscillating between "Damascus-2" and "Damascus-2-2" (Damascus is the name of my main server). each time, the catalog doesn't have the changes from the last time I used LR. In this case, I had just imported 700 some images to my local SSD. In addition, the "Find moved or missing files and folders" doesn't work. When I navigate to the server location where the files have been moved, the folder is there but LR says something like "no matching names".

• 4. Re: Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem
                dj_paige Level 9

LR is oscillating between "Damascus-2" and "Damascus-2-2"

What does this mean? What is Damascus-2 and what is Damascus-2-2?

As far a I know, Lightroom isn't doing this oscillating, there's no such feature or capability in Lightroom. It sounds to me like an operating system or network issue.

• 5. Re: Lightroom CC2015 catalog problem
                  paula28186741 Level 1

I mean that I will start LR and banner at the top, next to the LR logo will say "Damascus-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library". At other times it will say "Damascus-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library""Damascus-2-2 - Adobe Photoshop Lightroom - Library"

These are distinct Libraries, referring to the same physical drives. I imported 780 images into "Damascus-2" and when LR started up with the "Damascus-2-2" showing no folder or files. When I re-did the import from flash, it reported the 780 images, all named xxx_nnn-2.

Both of these sets of files reside on the local drive, so no "network issue" is involved. I am using up to date Win-7. I had no problems at all with the last version of LR. When I changed to the CC version, these problems started.