AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera

skitchin8

HP 15 Notebook

amd a6 5200 w/ Radeon HD graphis 2.0 ghz  8gb ram

windows 8.1  64 bit

Fast Draft: Available

Texture Memory:100.00 MB
      Ray-tracing:CPU

(GPU not available - incompatible device or display driver)

OpenGL

Vendor:ATI Technologies Inc.
      Device:AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series
      Version:3.0.13283 Compatibility Profile Context 14.501.1003.0
      Total Memory:494.00 MB
      Shader Model:4.0 or later

When I use the camera tracker it crashes after effects  looking for some help. It gets through the first part but crashes AE when its trying to solve the camera.   I've updated ram ,drivers,chipset anything that could be upgraded has been. It seems to only work when the shot isnt moving. Not sure what that is. I've tried the same shot with the same camera twice, one with a slight pan and one with a static shot. The tracker was able to produce tracking point on the static shot but crashes AE when I tried it on the panning.  thanks

Shawn Kitchin

-
        • 1. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without seeing your footage nobody can tell you much. Probably the shot is simply unsuitable and causes some internal error.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
            skitchin8 Level 1

Thanks for getting back to me. Its the same piece of footage just in 2 different parts. The complexity of the shot doesn't really change. Here's is the beginning framestartframe2.jpgHere's the end frame . Total number of frames 30

endframe1.jpg

When I use the tracker It gets through the first step and when solving the camera I get thiserror 1.jpgand then this

error 2.jpg For the second try here's the starting framestartframe2.jpgand the ending frame. total number 124

endframe2.jpgI apply the camera tracker.....car_with points.jpg  thanks again for the help

• 3. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera

Not really. There is any number of reasons why this shot will never 3D track, but suffice it to say that that tracking 5 seconds of almost no discernible motion on a camera with such a tight lens is probably not a good idea.

Mylenium

• 4. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                skitchin8 Level 1

ok curious why it isn't a good idea. Ill admit i'm just a hobbyist and new to the software so as I move forward its more helpful to know why it wont work so I can plan my shots accordingly. thanks

• 5. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                  Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Problems are going to be caused by the reflections on the hood of the car because they will move the opposite direction as the camera and the curve of the hood will create an lens distortion that will foul up the tracking solution. You'll have to remove any trackers on the hood and solve again. Once you get some experience setting up shots for camera tracking you'll be able to figure out how to work around problems. Not every shot will camera track successfully in AE. Not every shot will successfully track in any tracking software so you have to learn how to work around the problems. It's not magic. It just takes time to learn. Understanding what is going on when you track is the first step.

The camera tracker looks for fixed geometry, tries to calculate the perspective shift and interpolate camera angle of view and position. If you have things moving in multiple directions in your shot, like the reflections in the hood moving the opposite direction as the camera and at a different rate, then it's really hard to solve for a camera.

• 6. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera

There's simply not enough parallax to discern sufficient angular movement that would allow to calculate the camera, at least not using AE's 3D tracker. Such stuff would either be done by using manual tracker placement or shooting the sequence from farther away and then zooming in and cropping.

Mylenium

• 7. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                      skitchin8 Level 1

Thanks  Rick for answering. This is all test footage so I can practice using Cinema 4D.  Is there a fix to keep it from crashing and just telling me it cant solve the camera? its a little frustrating when the whole program crashes.?

• 8. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera

The most likely fix is to shoot a much simpler shot.

Take a look at this C4D - AE example shot with my cellphone:

Sorry there's no audio but it should be fairly easy to follow.

• 9. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                          reydavid5500

I think I got it, m8, I was watching this dude's video then, I try to use his setting which is using tripod pan on the solve method on the advance option amd it doesn't crash anymore. I'm using an A8-6410 with R5 GPU.

• 10. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                            Twelve9 Level 1

I'm also having this issue but with drone footage. Every time it tracks the camera but when solving it force closes. I've tried to add contrast and sharpen to my video but that doesn't seem to work. Here is my footage I am trying to track. Is my footage that unusable?

• 11. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera

The field of view changes completely about 5 times in your shot. I don't know of any camera tracking software that is going to be able to successfully generate a camera solution from that entire shot. You are going to have to break it up into sections. Figure out where you want to add the 3D elements and cut up the shot so you are not tracking any unnecessary frames. If you want to put multiple objects in your scene in different parts of the shot you can still do that, you'll just use multiple comps and then cut them together. For example, say you wanted to add something at the top of the frame here:

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.23.40 PM.png

And that something would exit the frame here:

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.24.00 PM.png

You basically have a panning shot with not a lot of geometry to track. You might even be better of doing doing this by hand or by using Mocha or AE's motion tracker. If this is where you want to add your 3D elements then trim the shot to include just these few seconds of the footage.

On the other hand if you wanted to put something in the street a the top of the frame here:

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.28.04 PM.png

and have it stay until the end of the shot here:

Screen Shot 2016-09-17 at 10.29.19 PM.png

You have a lot more fixed geometry to track and a lot better chance of getting a solution. Again, you would trim the shot so that you were only tracking the frames that you need.

If you want to put several things in the shot then duplicate your footage layer and split up the top copy of the shot into several pieces, track each section from the first frame where the new object appears until the last frame where it is visible, then add your cameras and elements in each section, then pre-compose the layers and turn off the background footage. Back in your main comp the 3D elements will track just fine. and you can have overlapping elements in your scene. I recently did something like that and I ended up with 7 pre-comps, seven separate cameras, about 20 elements in a 15 second shot because that's what it took to get a good enough track on all seven sections of the shot that needed compositing.

Another problem with your footage is that there is a lot of lens distortion. AE's camera has a perfect lens without distortion. This is going to foul things up on the edges of the frame. You may have to make adjustments for that problem.

If you are going to do a lot of this kind of thing I would recommend that you run some tests and figure out how to analyze your camera and lens to remove most of the lens distortion. About 75% of my compositing work where I add 3D elements to the scene requires fixing the lens distortion before I do anything. In some cases I have to put it back in after the composite is complete so the cuts match. Figuring out how to correct the lens distortion involves carefully shooting a grid or dot pattern that is perpendicular to the film plane and then using the distortion tools in AE (or what ever app you are using) to fix the problems.

I hope this helps.

1 person found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: AE crashes when use 3d tracking camera
                                Twelve9 Level 1

That helps a lot! Thanks for taking the time to post all of that, you didn't need to but it is very appreciated!