4 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 7:22 AM by rob day

Resizing JPG

Jack Level 1

My image-publication, book-length project is facing the need to resize several dozen jpg graphics, all of which are linked to "placed" sources immediately-available as 300-dpi, full-color, CMYK images.

Would you please point me to a discussion of the pro's and con's of resizing an existing placed/linked graphic vs. resizing the source image. If I resize the source, will that automatically resize the placed image? Actually as I think further about that, it would appear to be more straightforward.

Project is not particularly time-sensitive, but if I can save time without sacrificing quality by simply resizing the existing, placed image, then I'd like to do that. Or perhaps there is some limit on the amount of resizing-in-place, that can be tolerated?

• 1. Re: Resizing JPG
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

The only reason to resize in Photoshop is so that you can re-sample the image and do further image adjustments after the resizing. When you scale in ID you make no changes at all to the image data, only change the relative size of the pixels (effective resolution).

• 2. Re: Resizing JPG
            Willi Adelberger Most Valuable Participant

Why are you using CMYK images? Letz them linked to RGB in their original version. Conversion should not done before PDF export, better later.

Resizing your images in InDesign does nothing with the linked images, only the effective resolution changes. You should observe the effective resolution in the link panel.

• 3. Re: Resizing JPG
              Jack Level 1

Thanks, both of you.

Peter, I think I can make most size changes within iD since my graphics are at 300 dpi and the relative changes in size will, in general, be only a few percentage points.

Will, thanks for reminder; turns out, only a small minority of images is still in cmyk, will fix that.

• 4. Re: Resizing JPG
                rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Will, thanks for reminder; turns out, only a small minority of images is still in cmyk, will fix that.

You wouldn't want to convert existing CMYK images back to RGB. The conversion to CMYK can happen at different stages of production—in Photoshop, on Export, or at print—where you do it has no affect on quality, all that matters is the correct CMYK destination profile is used.