7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 3:38 PM by ben1arch

Animation dvd settings

ben1arch

I am creating an animation in 3ds max, single frame jpg's at 720 resolution.  The video looks great on a computer but when I copy it to a dvd it looks blurry.  They are short videos, usually 2 or 3 minutes so file size isn't a problem.  I just need to know the settings in Media Encoder or After Effects to get a good video on dvd.

• 1. Re: Animation dvd settings
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

There are MPEG DVD presets in AME. The rest we can't know. Your post is simply too generic and vague. Provide a screenshot and exact settings.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: Animation dvd settings
            ben1arch Level 1

Here is a screen shot1 AME.jpg

• 3. Re: Animation dvd settings
              Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

when I copy it to a dvd it looks blurry.

Copy a file to a DVD and play it back? Or author a DVD that plays on a DVD player hooked to a TV? DVD is standard definition. If you really need to put your animation on a DVD to playback, you will need to export using the AME MPEG2-DVD format. What is your goal?

Your screenshot shows export to an HD format.

• 4. Re: Animation dvd settings
                Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You are using a customized H.264 output which is entirely the wrong format for a DVD authoring program or for adding to a DVD. Also, you must realize that a DVD is 1/4 the resolution of HD so it is not going to look as good as a YouTube HD video.

Just use the DVD preset in the AME and then drop the render in your authoring program or render to a production format and have the DVD authoring app compress for DVD.

• 5. Re: Animation dvd settings
                  ben1arch Level 1

I have created some animations in adobe after effects made from jpg images I created in 3D Studio Max.  If I save it to a windows media file and play it on a computer, it looks great.  I sent the video to the client, they sent it to a DVD company to have copies made and said they look blurry.  The dvd company said to send it as a mp4 file, so I did that, they said it looked better but not good enough. 

• 6. Re: Animation dvd settings
                    Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

What size? What does the video look like? Over saturated colors can raise a ton of problems on a DVD. There are still too many unanswered questions. If I were to send off a file for production as a DVD I would send them a high def copy of the file and let them reduce the size. If they must have a 720 X 480 file then you should send them one that is rendered with the minimum compression possible and make sure that you understand pixel aspect ratios and interlacing. Your screenshot shows that you are also mixing frame rates. DVD's should always be 29.97...

• 7. Re: Animation dvd settings
                      ben1arch Level 1

Thanks Rick, I will give that a shot.