6 Replies Latest reply on May 9, 2016 8:01 AM by trshaner

retain develop settings when reading metadata

hhost05 Level 1

Right now, I import photos to lightroom, make adjustments in the develop module, and then sometimes change some of the meta data (e.g. date/time, caption, etc). However, I then click "read metadata" from Lightroom. While the metadata changes are updated, the develop settings are gone. It also seems to automatically "reset" the image. Is there any way to prevent this from occurring?

• 1. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
          dj_paige Level 9

You need to change the metadata in Lightroom, then you don't have to use "read metadata" command, and you won't have this problem.

If you must change the metadata outside of Lightroom (why?), you would have to first write the metadata to the file from Lightroom, then change the metadata outside of Lightroom, and then in Lightroom read metadata.

• 2. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
            Andreas Schiefer

Hello,

I have the same problem. 4 hours of editing hundreds of photos are waste. Thank you Lightroom...

Because Lightroom is not able to write the metadata into the raw-file, there is no other way then to edit the metadata outside of lightroom.

Because:

- I don't want to have thousands of xmp-files on my hard drives, because it is unnecessary.

- I do not use the Adobe DNG format because it is unnecessary.

Many other programs are able to write metadata into raw-files. Why not Lightroom? I don't understand this, because there are tools for free who can do this perfectly. So I have to use one of this tools. But in combination with Lightroom, it is always hard to handle.

When will Adobe realize things that are outside the brains of Adobe sellers? I talked with many people who just say: We have to accept, it is Adobe. Pah.

I think, the only way to handle this is to delete Lightroom, cancel my account and forget all the catalog software. Sort all on disc and use simple to use small free or low budget tools for all the things I have to do.

Bye bye Lightroom.

Regards.

• 3. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
              dj_paige Level 9

Many other programs are able to write metadata into raw-files. Why not Lightroom?

There are good reasons to use sidecar files in the case of proprietary RAW formats. The major one being that since Adobe doesn't have the specifications of the RAW format (it's proprietary, Adobe is guessing as to the actual format specification), they don't want to take a risk of overwriting some of the actual photo data in the file. Imagine the complaints from users if a photo was destroyed in the process. I'm sure Adobe is much more willing to take the risk of losing a few customers like Andreas Schiefer who don't want xmp files rather than lose tons of customers when they get the reputation that their software is destroying photos.

In my opinion, doing it this was was an excellent and very smart decision by Adobe. I am very happy that there is no risk of Adobe software destroying my precious RAW images.

• 4. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
                Andreas Schiefer Level 1

Thanks for your reply. But sorry, an opinion is no solution for my problem.

And I don't understand why there are many developers who are able to develop a piece of software that can do this job very good.

And Adobe just supports their own DNG, which is a format that no camera produce (maybe I read about a camera that writes DNG, I'm not sure... but: one of thousands...).

In my opinion Adobe just took the easiest way. Sorry, but your opinion sounds a bit like a marketing strategy from Adobe.

The specification of the raw-files  is not the problem. IPTC is a standard and that is the reason why so many others can work with it.

However, I create a workflow without Lightroom. In two or three steps it is not so easy like to do it all in one software, but it works fine and doesn't cost €144,- a year.

So again: bye bye Lightroom.

• 5. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
                  dj_paige Level 9

Maybe Adobe doesn't want to. maybe they would rather put their time and effort into major improvements to image quality and functionality, rather than creating alternate ways to store metadata. Maybe they don't care if a few people are upset over xmp files.

if that's their thought process, I certainly approve.

Nevertheless, if Lightroom doesn't meet your needs, you can submit a feature request (I'm sure others have also done this), or you can vote with your wallet and use other software.

• 6. Re: retain develop settings when reading metadata
                    trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Andreas Schiefer wrote:

I have the same problem. 4 hours of editing hundreds of photos are waste. Thank you Lightroom...

Because Lightroom is not able to write the metadata into the raw-file, there is no other way then to edit the metadata outside of lightroom.

I often write metadata to exported TIFF files in both LR and Adobe Bridge that I use with my InDesign projects. Other than that very limited usage I do NOT write metadata to my picture files or use XMP sidecars. The primary issue is understanding that Bridge Reads & Writes metadata real-time into the actual file. LR writes it's metadata to the LR Catalog file and only to the actual file manually using 'Save Metadata to File' (CTRL S), or with 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked in Preferences. Even with 'Automatically write changes into XMP' checked the metadata write update does NOT happen real-time! For example when you apply common keywords to 100s (1,000s?) of files LR updates those files in the background to prevent performance issues. Do you understand the consequences?....I hope so!

Because of this it is important that you always update LR (Read Metadata from File) with changes made to metadata using external applications BEFORE MAKING ANY ADJUSTMENTS INSIDE LR. After making adjustments or adding keywords inside LR you need to make sure this new metadata has been successfully written to ALL modified files BEFORE MAKING METADATA EDITS OUTSIDE LR. This is the only way to prevent metadata conflicts that cannot be resolved.

In addition, when metadata is written directly into a file (raw, DNG, JPEG, PSD, TIFF) the file system's 'Date Modified' field is changed. This will cause your backup program to update ALL files that have ANY change made in LR (Develop Settings, Keywords). This is good since you want the new file metadata backed up, but bad from the perspective of time required to do simple incremental backups. When using XMP files the time required is significantly less since the XMP files are much smaller (10-100 KB). In fact there have been numerous requests that Adobe support use of XMP sidecars for non-raw files for this very reason!

You should also be aware that the XMP file data whether written directly to the file or in an XMP sidecar file does NOT contain all information added inside LR: What Is Not Included In Lightroom XMP Files | Lightroom Fanatic There are also differences in the way specific metadata are handled by external applications compared to LR's metadata. Sharing labels between Lightroom and Bridge

As long as you are aware of the all the above mentioned issues it is possible to add or edit metadata from outside LR using external applications such as Adobe Bridge, etc. Unfortunately, we are all "human" and will make errors that create a big mess of the both the file's XMP metadata and the LR catalog's metadata. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!