12 Replies Latest reply on Jun 6, 2015 1:05 PM by Zzardoz

precomp effects errors

Zzardoz

I have about 15 layers with various effects and several null objects. When I precomp these layers the result is not nearly the same as the layers that were included into it. The timings are altered, and some to f the layers do not show up at all. Any ideas on how to preserve all layer attributes when precomp is created?

• 1. Re: precomp effects errors
          Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

Without knowing any exact details, nobody can tell you anything. Provide screenshots of the timelines, comp settings, system info, version of AE and all that.

Mylenium

• 2. Re: precomp effects errors
            Zzardoz Level 1

Sorry I am new to this forum. Here are the screenshots.

AE cs6

windows 7pro

temp.jpg

temp.jpg

I could send the project file to anyone who is interested, if that would help. Thanks

• 3. Re: precomp effects errors
              Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One of the problems with your screenshot is that we cannot see any properties for any layers. Set the CTI to a position in the timeline where some layer that is supposed to show up isn't there then select that layer and solo it. If it shows up start selecting the layers above it and add them until your find the problem. If it doesn't show up when you color the layer press the U key twice to reveal all modified properties. If you can't figure out what is happening then send us a screenshot of that so we can see what you've modified.

• 4. Re: precomp effects errors
                Zzardoz Level 1

The problem is not with these layers in the timeline. They all work fine. The problem is that when I select all these layers and create a precomp, it jumbles the effects, masks and layer timings so that it is unusable. I do not think there is a screenshot for this problem that will make it any clearer. I can send you the project file if you like.

Thanks

Willard

• 5. Re: precomp effects errors
                  Zzardoz Level 1

It might be that the masks and some of the keyframes do not get included in the precomp?? Any ideas on the limits of the precomp? Or does the procomp only work with certain types of layers?

Thanks

Willard

• 6. Re: precomp effects errors

The comp selected in the screenshot is called Typography Comp. Which is the pre-comp? There is no pre-comp in your screenshot. If you are pre-composing some of the layers in this comp then select the layers, press the U key twice to reveal the properties that have been modified and then pre-compose the selected layers and check the properties again to see what's missing. My guess is that you are having workflow and technique issues. I don't believe it's a bug.

There's not much of a description of exactly what you are doing when you get this problem. You could also have expressions that are tied to layers that are not in the pre-comp. This would cause problems. A camera in your pre-comp will foul things up. We just don't know enough to help you and we don't know what you are doing or where the pre-comps are so a project file would have to include a duplicate of the original comp before you pre-compose any layers so we could see what's going on.

• 7. Re: precomp effects errors
                      Zzardoz Level 1

Here are screenshots at 5 seconds for the precomp1 and typography compositions respectively. I am not sure if there are any scripts. Once I make the precomp I cnanot see the layers for the typography comp unless I undo the precomp1 creation step first.

temp.jpg

temp.jpg

• 8. Re: precomp effects errors
                        Zzardoz Level 1

I followed your instructions. After I make the procomp1 all of the layers for typography are fone in the typography composition. So, I cannot check the settings there. Must be something I am doing wrong in creating the precomp. Not sure what.

• 10. Re: precomp effects errors

It looks like you have selected all of the layers in your composition and pre-composed them. Usually you do not pre-compose all of the layers in a composition because there is no advantage. If you want to use the composition as part of another composition you simply drag, in this case, the Typography Composition from the timeline into another composition. Everything should work just fine. I can see no reason to Pre-compose every layer in a comp. It's perfectly logical to nest one comp in another.

Why don't you post the project and I'll take a look?

• 11. Re: precomp effects errors
                            Zzardoz Level 1

How do I post the project? Second, I am wanting to do some nondestructive changes to the precomp1 like time warp.

Thanks

• 12. Re: precomp effects errors
                              Zzardoz Level 1

I just duplicated the typography comp in the project window instead of making a precomp and that worked better