2 Replies Latest reply on Jul 14, 2015 2:04 PM by behret

Trying to upgrade a PSE 10 Catalog to Lightroom CC - Problem: File path conversion problem[was: Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog]

behret

Update 20150707:

So I think I found the  reason for the problem:

Roughly 60% of my files in my PSE 11 catalog are converted (or probably better: "sent") to Lightroom with a double forward slash "//" in the file path.

This looks like: D:/Pictures//Keep/Alben/2002/200212<rest of path is OK>...

Lightroom complains that it cannot find the file on the disk, probably due to the double forward slash.

With more than 4000 of theses error Lightroom core dumps with a buffer overflow, probably due to the large number of error messages. Trimming the PSE 11 catalog down gradually I was able to identify this cause.

The problem is that my PSE 11 catalog is repaired, optimized and PSE 11 thinks the file is in the correct location and can open and edit it.

So what do I do to make the two programs understand each other with their file name conventions?? ... or how to get rid of the offending second "/"?

Thanks

Thomas

---

Good afternoon,

I am trying to upgrade a PSE 10 Catalog to Lightroom CC (details of Lightroom below)  - both on Windows 8.1 (details as well below)

There are roughly 30.000 photos in the PSE 10 catalog. The import runs for a while and then LR CC shows a brief message that it could not import all photos and then it is intercepted by a Windows OS message that states "Lightroom has stopped working..."

It has imported around 3.500 photos and converted all Albums to Collections, as well as the Keyword Tree.

I have tried the following:

(in PSE 11)

• optimized and repaired the catalog
      • removed all file types that LR does not handle
      • removed all offline media

(in LR cc)

• Tried running it in various compatibility modes
      • Tried running it in Administrator mode
      • Disabled temporarily all anti-virus software

I have operated LR CC successfully with a new catalog and it behaved fine through all operations; it only memory dumps on conversion of this catalog. Importing pictures from the above catalog works fine; just that it looses the key word hierarchy and obviously does not know about collections.

Is there any log file indicating what the offending item during the conversion is?

I have to say I like LR after a three weeks trial, but I am not really prepared to let go on 90% of my meta data at this stage.

Best

Thomas

System Info for LR and PSE

---

Lightroom version: CC 2015.0.1 [ 1018573 ]

License: Trial

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Business Edition

Version: 6.3 [9600]

Application architecture: x64

System architecture: x64

Logical processor count: 4

Processor speed: 3,1 GHz

Built-in memory: 16199,9 MB

Real memory available to Lightroom: 16199,9 MB

Real memory used by Lightroom: 364,6 MB (2,2%)

Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 314,3 MB

Memory cache size: 185,7 MB

Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 4

Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2

System DPI setting: 96 DPI

Desktop composition enabled: Yes

Displays: 1) 1920x1200, 2) 1920x1200

Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:

Check OpenGL support: Failed

Vendor: Intel

Version: 3.3.0 - Build 10.18.10.3345

Renderer: Intel(R) HD Graphics 4600

LanguageVersion: 3.30 - Build 10.18.10.3345

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom

Library Path: C:\Users\behreth\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat

Settings Folder: C:\Users\behreth\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:

1) Behance

2) Canon Tether Plugin

3) Facebook

4) Flickr

5) Leica Tether Plugin

6) Nikon Tether Plugin

Config.lua flags: None

Updated Toolkit: Adobe Camera Raw 9.0 for Lightroom 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Book Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Develop Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Import Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Library Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Map Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Monitor Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Print Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Slideshow Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: Web Module 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgNetClient 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.AgWFBridge 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.Headlights 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.LibraryToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.MultiMonitorToolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.archiving_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.bridgetalk 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.catalogconverters 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.cef_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.coretech_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.curculio 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.discburning 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.email 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.export 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ftpclient 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.help 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.iac 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.imageanalysis 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.layout_module_shared 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.pdf_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sdk 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.sec 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.socket 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.store_provider 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.substrate 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.ui 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.video_toolkit 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.ag.xml 6.0 (build 1014445)

Updated Toolkit: com.adobe.wichitafoundation 6.0 (build 1014445)

Adapter #1: Vendor : 8086

Device : 412

Subsystem : 204a8086

Revision : 6

Video Memory : 96

Adapter #2: Vendor : 1414

Device : 8c

Subsystem : 0

Revision : 0

Video Memory : 0

AudioDeviceIOBlockSize: 1024

AudioDeviceName: Speakers (Realtek High Definition Audio)

AudioDeviceNumberOfChannels: 2

AudioDeviceSampleRate: 44100

Build: Uninitialized

Direct2DEnabled: false

GPUDevice: not available

OGLEnabled: true

---

Elements Organizer 10.0.0.0

Core Version: 10.0 (20110914.m.17521)

Language Version: 10.0 (20110914.m.17521)

Current Catalog:

Catalog Name: fitt_master_backup

Catalog Location: C:\data\pse11_catalog\fitt_master_backup\

Catalog Size: 135,8MB

Catalog Cache Size: 1,1GB

System:

Operating System Name: 2000

Operating System Version: 6.2

System Architecture: Intel CPU Family:6 Model:12 Stepping:3 with MMX, SSE Integer, SSE FP

Built-in Memory: 15,8GB

Free Memory: 4,9GB

I found the reason, but have no solution ...

• 1. Re: Trying to upgrade a PSE 10 Catalog to Lightroom CC - Problem: File path conversion problem[was: Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog]
          behret Level 1

Update 20150707:

So I think I found the  reason for the problem:

Roughly 60% of my files in my PSE 11 catalog are converted (or probably better: "sent") to Lightroom with a double forward slash "//" in the file path.

This looks like: D:/Pictures//Keep/Alben/2002/200212<rest of path is OK>...

Lightroom complains that it cannot find the file on the disk, probably due to the double forward slash.

With more than 4000 of theses error Lightroom core dumps with a buffer overflow, probably due to the large number of error messages. Trimming the PSE 11 catalog down gradually I was able to identify this cause.

The problem is that my PSE 11 catalog is repaired, optimized and PSE 11 thinks the file is in the correct location and can open and edit it.

So what do I do to make the two programs understand each other with their file name conventions?? ... or how to get rid of the offending second "/"?

Thanks

Thomas

• 2. Re: Trying to upgrade a PSE 10 Catalog to Lightroom CC - Problem: File path conversion problem[was: Upgrade Photoshop Elements Catalog]
            behret Level 1

Observations:

The double slash "\\" in the path seems to be introduced with the upgrade to PSE10. I cannot tell how this happened, but there were ca. 27.000 files linked with a path "D:\pictures\\album\portrait\image_1.jpg"

I worked happily with that database, as actually all files could be catalogued, modified, opened with the editor.I from time to time checked for "Missing Files" and none was identified. After I discovered the problem during the Lr conversion of the catalog, I checked the "Folder Location" view and none of the files with the double forward slash were recognized as being part of the catalog. I could import them into the catalog from the "Folder Location" yielding duplicates:

"D:\pictures\\album\portrait\image_1.jpg"

"D:\pictures\album\portrait\image_1.jpg"

living happily next to each other.

I could "move" the incorrect file from the thumbnail view into its original, which corrected the incorrect path. But as my collection is quite split across a wide directory structure and there is no way to sort the "Thumbnail View" by path it would have been an endless task.

So here are the steps I have taken in order to remedy the problem. It was not as straight forward as it sounds by

now and required a lot of trial and error over a period of weeks.

1. I performed a backup of the PSE10 catalog ("File->Backup Catalog ..") to the hard drive
            2. I "removed" the photos from their original location, so that they could not be found (as I had a distinct data drive, I just removed the drive letter from the Windows Disk Management Console)
            3. I restored the PSE10 backup ("File->Restore Catalog ..."), choosing "New Location" and placed it into the root of a different drive; if you don't have a spare portable disk, then you can use the "subst q: <path to a directory>"; I had hoped keeping the structure from the root makes it easier for PSE10 to reconnect the files later, but I cannot confirm that this made a difference.
            4. After the restore PSE10 complained (luckily!) that it could not find all the files (27.000) with the double "\\", so contrary to the situation at start I could now chose "File->Reconnect->All Missing Files". It attempted to find the files, but could not find them in the restored area after searching for 5 mins for the first file. I then reconnected one file manually and restarted the process and after 1hr PSE10 had reconnected all files without any problem, and the images appeared as well in the "Folder Location" view.
            5. As I wanted my files in their original location, I "moved" the files back into their original location by moving them in the "Folder Location" view, which took another 3 hrs.
            6. As I was not very confident with the entire process ensuring all files were actually part of this process, I closed PSE 10 and "re-installed" my entire original file tree of the images from the "removed" location (step 2) after deleting the PSE10 moved files.
            7. I brought up PSE10 and checked for missing files, all was still connected.
            8. Finally I reimported the entire "re-installed" original file tree again to see whether anything was missed, but all files were correctly recognized as duplicates. The last step was to validate the "Folder Location" view, where are the files appeared in the tight tree structure.

I then did what I finally wanted to and upgrade the PSE10 catalog to LR6 and it worked without any problem taking all images and meta data across.

Done.

A plea to Adobe ....

I think it would be a great idea to publish the proprietary formats of the different catalogs (PSE / LR). This

can't be that hard as you must have appropriate documentation. In that case the whole problem might have been

solved with adjusting the double "\\" programmatically. If you expect your customers to entrust their digital

assets to your cloud, some "openness" from your end would just be a good move,...