8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 12:22 PM by A.T. Romano

format issue

thedinz

Hello, i cant get rid of the black bars.

The original video is a screencast at 1440X900.

When creating a new project none of the options have this, i can use 1440x1080 but the bars on the sides, if i interpret footage and change it to widescreen the video looks stretched and now there are black bars on the top and bottom.

I am a bit of a newbie i came over to premier from sony movie maker, most videos are fine but this screencast video is odd i guess because of my computer resolution.

The bars are driving me nuts and no settings seem to fix them, i have been googling up a storm before asking here but everything i have tried is not working.

• 1. Re: format issue
          A.T. Romano Level 7

thedinz

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system?

What is your intended export for the Timeline that has this content?

Typically video is 4:3 or 16:9. If you have 1440 x 900, that is neither. I think you know that already. More about the project preset next time.

For now I will assume you are using Premiere Elements 11, 12, or 13 on Windows 7, 8, or 8.1 64 bit.

If you let the project set the project preset automatically (open the project and use Add Media/Files and Folders/, you will end up with the default project preset of 1080i (1920 x 1080 16:9) and that type of project. The 1440 x 900 will look like this in the 1080i project.

13.JPG

Click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. Then drag on the bottom right handle of the bounding box out to scale the image. Drag out only to the point where the black border are not seen. You will get a slight zoom in effect, but you should not get a stretched effect. This should be the result of this type of solution

13 2.jpg

Please review, consider, and give more details, so that I can customize the reply for your situation.

Thanks.

ATR

• 2. Re: format issue
            thedinz Level 1

Hello.

Its premier 13 on windows 8.1.

My intended export if vimeo and youtube HD so usually 720.

1440x900 is actually 16:10 correct?

So premier pro would allow me to make a new preset or edit a preset correct? So my version of premier gives me these presets and thats all im stuck with? That stinks.

Your solution will work, but its not ideal, im cutting off part of the video, im a bit floored that this version of premier cant really work with this resolution as intended.

• 3. Re: format issue
              A.T. Romano Level 7

thedrinz

Thanks for the reply.

Premiere Elements offers one project preset per project. And, those choices of project preset offered do not offer significant user customization, at least for your purposes.

You could consider creating your own project preset by editing an existing sequence preset in the program files....as I did for a user who needed a project preset with a 21:9 display aspect ratio.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE12: Project Preset with 21:9 Display Aspect Ratio

You could explore changing your screen capture area specification to something like 1280 x 720 if possible.

Please review and consider. We can discuss this further if any of the above is of interest.

Thanks.

ATR

• 4. Re: format issue
                thedinz Level 1

Thank you for the help so far.

Would it be possible to use another software say.....handbrake or something to take my video file and turn it into a more normal format of 1280x720 then use that inside premier?

• 5. Re: format issue
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

thedinz

Thanks for the follow up.

I just tried and could create a Premiere Elements 13 project preset for 1440 x 900. And, I could import a 1440 x 900 image into that project and have it display in the Edit area monitor without black borders. You may have to do manual project preset setting for it rather than having the project set the project preset automatically.

Using export Advanced settings, you could even export that Timeline to a 1440 x 900 file saved to the computer hard drive. But, I am not sure how that will be handled by YouTube since YouTube has a 16:9 player and your 1440 x 900 is not 16:9.

So, this gets to your question about how to convert that 1440 x 900 to 1280 x 720.

Before I answer that, please look at the following which is a variation on what I described originally. See if you get cut offs and distort.

1. Open Premiere Elements to the Expert workspace. Manually set the project preset to the 1280 x 720 project preset

NTSC

FLIP

Flip Mino HD and Ultra HD_29_97

To do that

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                  • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                  • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.

2. Back in the Expert workspace, go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General and remove the check mark next to default scale to frame size. Close out of preferences.

3. Import your 1440 x 900 video into the project. Click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. Then scale the video just to fit the space in the monitor. That is a 1280 x 720 space. You may have some room to move the image around in the space without bringing on black borders.

Does that work better for you.

I will get back to the HandBrake question if needed.

Thanks.

ATR

• 6. Re: format issue
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

thedinz

Continuation of post 5....

If you try for the 1440 x 900 to 1280 x 720 in HandBrake, consider

Under Picture Tab

HandBrakePost2.JPG

Under Video Tab

HandBrakeVideoTabxx.JPG

If you do try this, please look for and distortions and quality issues.

Thanks.

ATR

• 7. Re: format issue
                      thedinz Level 1

Hello.

Thanks for your continued efforts!

So i did try the first way, and i didn't like that because like i said its technically a zoom and cuts off some picture.

So i went the handbrake route with keep aspect ration unchecked. Check would have made it 1280X800 so yeah i was changing only the height so i figured it might not look so hot.

However i was surprised it looks fine, out of all the options i like this one the best, at least it shows the whole video nothing missing.

• 8. Re: format issue
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

thedinz

Thanks for the update and good news that HandBrake appears to be working for you to deal with the 1440 x 900 to 1280 x 720 matter.

Please update us on your progress with this HandBrake H.264.mp4 source in your 16:9 Premiere Elements projects - when your schedule permits.

Any questions or need clarification on your Premiere Elements workflows, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best wishes

ATR