11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 12:36 PM by trshaner

Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom

Jim Air Level 1

Have recently bought Lightroom 6 and have spent hours, both before and after, learning to use.  I love what it can do, but am perplexed about how

blindly non-destructive it is.  For instance, if I happen to take a photo of a sign in RAW, but when I edit, then sure I can crop, downsize etc for my

final need, but I still have the original RAW file.  What I want to do is to get rid of the original RAW file and just keep the very small JPEG file.  How

can I do this please, with the least amount of effort possible to keep my workflow moving ??  Will be very grateful for responses as I will find it very

difficult to move forward without knowing how to do this ?

• 1. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
          dj_paige Level 9

but am perplexed about howblindly non-destructive it is.

Well, it is designed to be that way.

What I want to do is to get rid of the original RAW file and just keep the very small JPEG file.  How

can I do this please, with the least amount of effort possible to keep my workflow moving ??

The least amount of effort is to NOT delete the RAW. It doesn't get any simpler than that. (And how would that prevent your workflow from "moving"?) Lightroom was designed so that you keep your originals, and you don't keep your exports long-term.

Furthermore, it is considered very bad practice to delete your RAW photos, it's like throwing away your negatives when you shooting film. If you ever want to go back and re-edit the photo, and you don't have your RAW, you are in trouble.

• 2. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
            Keith_Reeder Level 4

dj_paige wrote:

Furthermore, it is considered very bad practice to delete your RAW photos, it's like throwing away your negatives when you shooting film. If you ever want to go back and re-edit the photo, and you don't have your RAW, you are in trouble.

Indeed.

One of the key benefits of shooting Raw is that Raw converters continually improve: it's a source of great satisfaction to be able to go back to older images with a new iteration of a converter and see an even better end result appear than the original conversion.

• 3. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
              phillydave Level 2

Agreed. The whole point of using a tool like Lightroom is that it doesn't touch your original file so that you have the freedom to go back and process it in a completely different way.

If you want to save space, you can use smaller previews, not use smart previews, and other activities that generate bigger files. But if you are worried about your original images taking up too much space, you can look in to some ways to archive off the original finals and your edits to an external drive so that you minimize the long term impact of the size of your image files.

• 4. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim Air wrote:

What I want to do is to get rid of the original RAW file and just keep the very small JPEG file.

Simply set your camera to shoot JPEG files and you'll have no raw files to worry about!

Seriously, in the bad-old Photoshop pixel-editing days we would have cut off an arm (well maybe a pinky) for the ability to "non-destructively" edit our image files. Yes raw files are BIG, but much smaller than the 16-bit TIFFs we needed to use in PS for destructive editing.

Please don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" by deleting your camera raw files. Large capacity hard drives are very inexpensive....or maybe it's time to buy a new system.

• 5. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                  JimHess Adobe Community Professional & MVP

In my workflow, raw files are not something that I work with until I'm "done" with my editing and then throw away. As Lightroom continues to evolve and new features are added there might be a better way to process an image in the future. If I have thrown away the raw file I had thrown out the file that has the most data and provides the most flexibility when editing in Lightroom. As an alternative, I primarily keep the raw files and only create a JPEG image when it is needed to send to a lab or to share with someone else. It's never a good idea to discard raw files. It's the equivalent of throwing away the negatives back in the old film days, if you happen to remember those days.

• 6. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                    JoeKostoss Level 4

My workflow is similar to JimHess.  I never consider that "I'm done".  All my Raw files are imported to LR from my HD card and copied to a External Hard Drive.  I work on then from the EHD so they never see the inside of my computer HD. Any exports to jpeg are put on my Computer without reimporting to LR.  They are used as needed...e-Mail, Web Portfolio, Facebook, etc...and then deleted; I can always re-export if needed again later.  As trshaner stated, EHDs are inexpensive; when I run out of space, I simply buy another EHD.  I am presently using 1TB EHDs, but will soon get larger ones.  I'm with the others; I have 2 rules about deleting Raw files:

Rule #1 Do Not Delete Raw Files!

Rule #2 If I find a burning need to delete Raw Files, I go back and read rule #1.

• 7. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                      Jim Air Level 1

Everyone is keen to tell me something I already know  -- but not what I want to do.  The thing is that,say at least 10% of images I take will never be competition material but merely snapshots.  No matter

what advances there are they will not be worth investing time and energy improving.  The example I give of a road-sign is a classic point.  How interesting can you make a road-sign ??  Now

you could say why not take these images in JPEG, nevertheless time constraints and other things mean that you do not always take time to change the settings to that,

So, instead of stating the obvious, is anyone able to tell me how I can do what I want to do ?  How can I say I have received the right answer when in answer I am told that I am not thinking correctly !

• 8. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                        john beardsworth Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Import the small JPEGs and delete the raw files. Isn't that obvious? Why expect anything easier? After all, as you say, Lightroom is "blindly non-destructive" and doesn't facilitate workflows that go against its fundamental concepts.

• 9. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                          JoeKostoss Level 4
                          1. Import Raw Files.
                          2. Process 1st as needed.
                          3. Export as small jpeg
                          4. While still in Library, tap the X key on the keyboard to mark the Raw file as rejected.
                          5. Repeat 2, 3 and 4 for next Raw File. Repeat as necessary.
                          6. At end of session, select the folder that contains all the Raw Files.
                          7. Go to Photo > Delete Rejected Photos.
                          8. Choose Delete files from disc in the Pop Up Menu.
                          9. Empty Trash
                          • 10. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                            Jim Air Level 1

Thank you Joe - very much appreciated !!  :-)

• 11. Re: Want to cut down on storage needs when using Lightroom
                              trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Jim Air wrote:

Everyone is keen to tell me something I already know  -- but not what I want to do.  The thing is that,say at least 10% of images I take will never be competition material but merely snapshots.  No matter what advances there are they will not be worth investing time and energy improving.

OK, point taken and understood.

1) Import raw files.

2) Review and tag files not worth keeping with the Rejected flag and mark files that do not need raw files with 'One-Star.'

If you can't see the Flag, Star , and Color rating tools click the selection arrow as shown below and check them:

Hold off on deleting or Exporting any files to JPEG until you've edited the "keepers" in the Develop module.

4) After editing is complete use the 'Filter' tool just above the right-side of the filmstrip to select and delete the 'Rejected' image files. If you can't see icons click on the word 'Filter:.'

5) Next select the One-Star images using the same filter tool and Export to full-size (i.e. no resizing) JPEGs with sRGB profile and 75 Quality.  A full-size 75 Quality JPEG will be approximately 1/7 the raw file size without "visibly" affecting the image. More here on that subject: http://regex.info/blog/lightroom-goodies/jpeg-quality

6) Wait for the JPEG Export to complete in the upper left-hand Progress Bar. With the One-Star raw files still selected right click on one, select 'Remove Photos,' and then select 'Delete from Disk.'

7) Don't forget to add Keywords to the image files to allow sorting with the Filter Bar in the future.

8) Enjoy!