3 Replies Latest reply on May 10, 2006 8:09 AM by Newsgroup_User

Mysterious Filename prefix

JodyBenedict
      This is probably a question I should already know the answer to but I don't--I guess I was sick the day they covered this.

There are a ton of files in the site I just took over, that start with the prefix ._

Each file like this has a duplicate, so if I have a file named ask.asp sometimes there is a file called ._ask.asp.

My guess is that these are temporary files & that I should be able to delete them with no problems, but I am curious where they are coming from, and would like to know if I am wrong.
        • 1. Re: Mysterious Filename prefix
          Level 7

> There are a ton of files in the site I just took over, that start with the
          > prefix ._
          >
          > Each file like this has a duplicate, so if I have a file named ask.asp
          > sometimes there is a file called ._ask.asp.

anything similar about the file creation dates?

pure guess- some type of file editor that makes a backup version before the
          user makes a change.

• 2. Re: Mysterious Filename prefix
            JodyBenedict Level 1
            Well I can't tell you the date of the file because at the moment, even though I have the "last modified" tab visible in the dreamweaver file browser I have no dates for any of my files. Don't know why.

but I did discover some new things about them...
            1. They only exist on the live site (funny that I didn't see that before)
            2. They are only visible through dreamweaver.

I think you are most likely right that it's a file editor making some kind of back up file.
            Thanks,
            Jody
            • 3. Re: Mysterious Filename prefix
              Level 7

> 1. They only exist on the live site (funny that I didn't see that before)
              compare file sizes, and dates.

> 2. They are only visible through dreamweaver.

some ftp programs hide system files which start with a .period