7 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 8:03 AM by trshaner

Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments

J Isner Level 1

Suppose I have a PSD in my Lightroom catalog which has not been adjusted in Lightroom since it was catalogued.  When do  Photo -> Edit in... -> Edit in Photoshop CC 2014, it seems to me that the default option should be "Edit Original."  However "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" is always selected by default.

Here's why I think "Edit Original" is the proper default for this case.  "Edit Original" would tell me  that a second round of editing in Photoshop is going to be perfectly harmless.  When the default is "Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments" my immediate reaction is to wonder if I made any Lightroom adjustments to the file or not,  To find out, I must bring up the filmstrip so I can see the badges, and then 99% of the time I will select "Edit Original."

Two questions: (1) Why do you think Adobe chose this default?  (2) Is there a way to change the default for non-raw files with that do not have Lightroom adjustments?

I'm running Lightroom CC 2015 and Photoshop CC (2014).

• 1. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
          trshaner Adobe Community Professional & MVP

On my Windows 7 system with LR CC 2015 the 'Edit In' setting is the "last used" setting (sticky). If I choose 'Edit Original' the next time I use 'Edit In' that's what it shows. Are you not seeing the same behavior?

• 2. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
            J Isner Level 1

Aha!  That's it, thank you. The setting is also sticky for me.  Problem solved.

I still think it would be more helpful if Lightroom suggested the most logical setting for a given scenario.  If the file has no adjustments, it should suggest Edit Original.

After using Lightroom intensively for almost two years, I would have to say that the interface between LR and PS is the trickiest aspect to understand.  For example, "Edit a Copy" immediately creates a copy in the catalog before sending to PS.  If the original is a jpeg and you forget to Save As jpeg from PS, you will end up with (1) a useless copy in your catalog (2) an unsynchronized folder (you must sync the psd).

In a video comparing Lightroom to Bridge, Julianne Kost suggests that Lightroom is better for people who are novice computer users.  In my opinion it is just the opposite.

• 3. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments

J Isner wrote:

I still think it would be more helpful if Lightroom suggested the most logical setting for a given scenario.  If the file has no adjustments, it should suggest Edit Original.

I edit film scanner TIFF files in PS for spot removal crop and content aware fill and then in LR for toning and color correction. After making the LR adjustments I often need to go back into PS and do more spot removal and touchup, but I always use 'Edit Original' because i do NOT want to create another file. If LR kept prompting me to 'Edit A Copy With Lightroom Adjustments' it would not be helpful!

It can get a bit confusing, but the current sticky setting works well with most editing scenarios.

J Isner wrote:

In a video comparing Lightroom to Bridge, Julianne Kost suggests that Lightroom is better for people who are novice computer users.  In my opinion it is just the opposite.

The biggest issue with LR is that you can only see the folders and files that are imported and you better not move anything outside of LR. Adobe Bridge on the other hand looks very familiar and behaves the same as Windows Explorer or Mac Finder. It's comfortable to most users like an "old shoe." I use both interchangeably, but you have to be careful.

• 4. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
                J Isner Level 1

I understand that Edit Original re-applies the Lightroom adjustments to the file that comes back from Photoshop.  I am always reluctant to use this in case the Lightroom adjustments and the Photoshop adjustments are somehow incompatible.  Not that this would be a disaster, but I do think you have to be careful that any changes you make in Photoshop are going to work with the Lightroom adjustments that are waiting to be re-applied after you save.  My brain can't hold that much information, so I always edit a copy.  You can Edit a Copy and then when you save, sync the copy with the original.  That way I feel more in control of when and how the changes are being applied.

• 5. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
                  DdeGannes Level 5

Quote "I understand that Edit Original re-applies the Lightroom adjustments to the file that comes back from Photoshop."

As far as I know this is not what will happen.

If you select "edit original" the original file without any adjustments will be opened in Photoshop. If you make adjustments in Photoshop and save the file you will get a edited version of the original file with the adjustments applied in Photoshop.

• 6. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments
                    J Isner Level 1

To convince yourself that this is the way it works, do the following experiment.

1. In Lightroom, select a psd and convert it to B&W
                    2. Edit in Photoshop, selecting "Edit Original"
                    3. In Photoshop, the image will be in color (as you expect)
                    4. Add a text layer -- preferably in color!
                    5. Save
                    6. Back in Lightroom, you will see a Black and White image with gray text!

In other words, Lightroom has re-applied the the adjustment to the result that came back from Photoshop, just as I said.

Lightroom will also warn you (by showing an exclamation point on the thumbnail or filmstrip) that the metadata on the disk and the metadata in the catalog are different.  Click the exclamation point and Lightroom will offer to take the metadata from the disk or the catalog.  If you tell it to take the metadata from the catalog, the exclamation point will disappear and you are left with the black and white image with gray text.

• 7. Re: Edit a Copy with Lightroom Adjustments

J Isner wrote:

I understand that Edit Original re-applies the Lightroom adjustments to the file that comes back from Photoshop.  I am always reluctant to use this in case the Lightroom adjustments and the Photoshop adjustments are somehow incompatible.

If using PSD file format (edit) with layers make sure to check 'Maximize Compatibility' and that Warnings are enabled in Preferences. I rarely use PSD since TIFF supports 99% of the same functions as PSD and does not need a 'Maximize Compatibility' mode. Either format works with no issues in LR.

With it unchecked this is what you will see in LR:

J Isner wrote:

My brain can't hold that much information, so I always edit a copy.  You can Edit a Copy and then when you save, sync the copy with the original.  That way I feel more in control of when and how the changes are being applied.

Agreed, for most normal photo image editing. For adding text or other non-color or tone related editing there's no need to see the LR edits back in PS.