6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 7, 2015 3:29 PM by Tiigra

LR CC imports photos already cropped

Tiigra

Photos (raw format) that I import come up with 25% sharpening, 25% Color Noise reduction and are cropped along the long edges. All the necessary boxes for doing nothing during import are checked. It has started happening only after I switched to CC.

How can I get rid of this pre-processing?

• 1. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
          Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

All of that can be changed. Google "Set develop default settings". You will find a wealth of information on the subject.

• 2. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
            JoeKostoss Level 4

The 25% sharpening and 25% Noise Reduction are the defaults in LR.  This was the same for earlier versions of LR.  All Raw files require some capture sharpening.  If you set the camera to take jpeg images, this capture sharpening is performed in the camera.  If you shoot Raw, the files are not sharpened so this must be done in the editing software.

How are you determining that the images are being cropped on the long side?

• 3. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
              Tiigra Level 1

JoeKostoss wrote:

How are you determining that the images are being cropped on the long side?

This is what I see when I go to Develop and choose the Crop tool:

Cropping.png

• 4. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
                Tiigra Level 1

Sounds strange because this default sharpening and noise reduction never happened to me before (and I have been importing RAW pics for a few years).

I have changed my camera and switched to LR CC at the same time recently, so now I am not sure which changes come from the new camera and which from the new LR.

Thank you for your answers.

• 5. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
                  Just Shoot Me Adobe Community Professional

The Develop Preset Defaults are By Camera model. So if you changed cameras LR then Defaulted back to the standard 25 Sharpening and noise reductions.

At one time you made this same adjustment, not to apply sharpening or noise reduction, for your older camera. You will need to do that again for the new camera.

As for the crop it looks like you have the camera set to some other aspect ratio than the native ratio of the sensor. With some cameras the SET aspect ratio is applied to the Full image the sensor captures. So when you bring the image into LR that cropped image is displayed until you click on the Crop tool then the whole image is displayed along with what the camera has cropped it to.

Other than that some how you have set a preset in the import window that applies a Crop to the image on import.

• 6. Re: LR CC imports photos already cropped
                    Tiigra Level 1

Thank you very much for helping and for being patient with me.