5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 5, 2015 5:50 PM by A.T. Romano

Widescreen

Amaryllis87

Hello everyone,

I made a film with my Canon Legria FS406 camcorder, widescreen. Now I am trying to burn it on dvd. But Adobe Premiere Elements 13 cuts both sides of the film off (till square screen).

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Thanks for your answer

• 1. Re: Widescreen
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The Elements Tutorial Links Page http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1275830 may help, by reading the section on how to set up a new project

• 2. Re: Widescreen
            A.T. Romano Level 7

amaryllis87

On what version is your Premiere Elements 13 running? And, have you updated 13 to 13.1 yet using an opened project's Help Menu/Updates? If not, please do that. Are you working in a PAL setup or NTSC setup for frame rate? In addition to those details...

The real answers should come from the following which relates to the Premiere Elements mod widescreen issue which has existed for years.

I am understanding from your information that you are recording MPEG2.mod widescreen with your Canon FS406 camera. There is a serious problem trying to use the Premiere Elements mod widescreen fix that was used in versions of Premiere Elements earlier than 13. The issue in 13 is described specifically in the one reference

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: 13 Serious Problem With .MOD Widescreen Files

Please confirm that this issue applies to you.

Please consider trying to convert your MPEG2.mod widescreen into another format using one of the free video converters and then importing that new file into the Premiere Elements project. The free SDCopy has been excellent for converting this format to MPEG2.mpg. The SDCopy program is often a difficult program to find online.

SDCopy Download Page - Duck House Productions

I have not used this specific link. Please let us know if the free SDCopy from this link works for you.

Please confirm the details of your situation.

Any questions or need clarification on the above, please do not hesitate to ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: Widescreen
              Amaryllis87 Level 1

Hi ATR,

Thanks for responding, it got me a little bit further.

I'm running on version 13.1. Now in a project preset of DV widescreen in NTSC.

I tried to adjust the pixel aspect ratio but without results. Seems that this doesn't solve the problem.

Also tried the converter (link was in order) but as a MPEG Elements does add the file but can't produce video+audio. And as AVI it does fix the problem for widescreen resolution, but the sound is really distorted.

I'm open to any suggestions

Amaryllis87

• 4. Re: Widescreen
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Amaryllis87

There is no answer for .mod widescreen in Premiere Elements 13/13.1 at the present time.

The SDCopy should have converted your mod widescreen (MPEG2.mod) to MPEG2.mpg, allowing you to use the MPEG2.mpg 16:9 version in your Premiere Element widescreen project.

Let me give the SDCopy a try.

To be continued...

ATR

• 5. Re: Widescreen
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Amaryllis87

Since we wrote last about the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 and use of .mod widescreen, I have come up with a possible workaround in 13/13.1 that may allow you to import, edit, and export the .mod widescreen acceptably in 13/13.1. I suggested the following to another the other day, and it seems to work.

1. Set your project preset manually to NTSC DV Widescreen.

2. Go to Edit Menu/Preferences/General, and remove the check mark next to Default Scale to Frame Size.

3. Then import your .mod widescreen into your project using Premiere Elements' Expert workspace's Add Media/Files and Folders/Project Assets from where you drag your .mod widescreen to the Timeline video audio tracks.

4. Click on the Edit area monitor to bring up the image's bounding box. Click drag on one of the bounding box handles to fit the image to fill the Edit area space just to the point where the space is filled (no black edges).

You should not get too much of a zoomed look and should prove acceptable. Please try it and determine if that works for you. Further information on how and when to work with Default Scale to Frame disabled if needed.

Thanks.

ATR