6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 11:43 AM by Stan Jones

Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.

tggivens Level 1

Hello everyone!

These are basic questions I'm going to ask, and if someone can steer me into the right direction it would greatly be appreciated. 

1.  How does one actually make a DVD menu in After Effects?  Is there a good video/article that gives a step-by-step demonstration for beginners? 

2.  Furthermore, what's the process of applying the DVD menu to your project and how to correctly export the project for a DVD.

3.  Can you insert subtitles into your project with After Effects?  If so, how? 

4.  If i'm editing a film in Premiere, can someone give me guidelines on the process to follow when you're using both Premiere/AE/Encore?

5.  These questions have been answered somewhere on this forum, but if someone would be so kind to help, can you answer what is the basic difference between Premiere/Encore/AE? 

Thank You.

• 1. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
          Rick Gerard Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You don't build a DVD menu in AE, you build the pieces that are assembled in an authoring program like Encore. If you are building any project now days it's best if you work in HD and export your SD version after you complete the project. This gives you BluRay and DVD capability from the same material. If your original footage is SD then you may or may not want to think of scaling it up.

The best option is always to work in the Square Pixel equivalent Comp size in AE and export DV/NTSC Square Pixel or DV/PAL production masters in a lossless format for compressing in Encore. You can compress your edited film using the DVD presets in Adobe Media Encoder if you like or you can render a production master from Premiere Pro to a lossless or nearly lossless format.

Handling audio, Dolby Mixes, final color grading and assembling the project is all part of a fully produced film so you'll have to read up on those aspects of the project.

There are lots of training materials for Encore on how to set up chapters and other things.

Answering all 5 of your questions in a single forum post would be like condensing a full semester of undergraduate study in film production into a couple of paragraphs. You have a lot to learn. Jut bite of little pieces and ask one question at a time about the things you don't understand.

• 2. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
            Mylenium Most Valuable Participant

What Rick said - you are completely looking in the wrong place. Beyond creating the graphics, AE has nothing to do with creating a DVD.

Mylenium

• 3. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
              tggivens Level 1

Yes, I understand I'm a complete novice when dealing with this.  Is there another forum or link you can give me where my questions would have some significance? 

• 4. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
                tggivens Level 1

You are right.  I do not understand this software.  I'm in a crunch trying to finish a project and thought I could receive some help or guidance on this forum.  It's just a lot I'm trying to figure out right now.  Basically the project is done and I'm just trying to figure out how to add subtitles then create the project into a DVD.

I will take these questions elsewhere for time being. 

Thanks

• 5. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
                  Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Tim Givens wrote:

What is the basic difference between Premiere/Encore/AE?

Premiere is an NLE (non-linear editor). This means you use it to edit shots together to tell your story.

After Effects is a compositing and motion graphics application. This means you use it to make graphics or to create special effect shots. (You can also use it for some more advanced color grading.)

Encore is a Blu-ray and DVD authoring application. You use it to create a disc with menus and some mild interactivity.

Shots and graphics from After Effects along with shots directly from a camera are put together in a timeline in Premiere which is then brought into Encore to create the final disc. Does that make sense?

(I left out Audition, Photoshop, Illustrator, SpeedGrade, and the Adobe Media Encoder, but they're all possibly used in a post-production workflow as well. Illustrator to make vector graphic assets to be animated, Photoshop for creating clean plates or matte paintings, Audition for audio tweaking or audio editing, SpeedGrade for color grading, and the Adobe Media Encoder for making the final file to be put on disc or delivered via the web.)

Tim Givens wrote:

Basically the project is done and I'm just trying to figure out how to add subtitles then create the project into a DVD.

As others have said, neither of these can be done in After Effects, but thanks for stopping by the forum!

• 6. Re: Using After Effects to make your project into a DVD. Looking for assistance.
                    Stan Jones Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Go to the Encore forum,

Community: Encore | Adobe Community

I'll see you there...

Adobe did promote making DVD menus in AE for a bit (e.g., button creation), but it never made much sense to me as a workflow. AE is often used to create the motion background for a motion menu, and Encore has a sort of dynamic link to AE that sends the psd menu to AE as a composition. But  you need to understand the Encore end before you go there.