8 Replies Latest reply on Jun 13, 2015 4:36 AM by rob day

Remove selected local overrides

skywaystudios

I'm new to ID, i'm trying to set up a product line series, one master product label, 5 children with different text / titles.  One issue i'm coming across is that editing the master layer (adding a new graphic element, changing graphic element size)

does not carry over, and  i haven't overridden any of the child pages except for text.

the only way i can "update" the file is to "apply master to page"  but that causes  the issue of either wiping out my override edits, or bringing in a duplicate text box from the master page.   what's the best work around to this?  i thought having filler text, and styles defined in the master template would make it easy, but it seems like it's not as straigthforward as i thought.

thanks in advance..

• 1. Re: Remove selected local overrides
          rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

One issue i'm coming across is that editing the master layer (adding a new graphic element, changing graphic element size)

It sounds like you only have one Layer for the document? If all of the master page items are on one layer and you release a text frame to edit, the frame will go to the top of the stacking order. There shouldn't be a problem with adding master page objects, but they could be behind you released text frame.

• 2. Re: Remove selected local overrides
            skywaystudios Level 1

i have 3 main layers - all art elements, all text frames, die cut line

yeah all the text box from the master is duplicAted and i have to delete every time. tedious.

ANy way to only update /apply  one element ? Say i  nudge a box or change its color. Or say i change font style but i dont want to replace the filler text in every text box again

• 3. Re: Remove selected local overrides

You should be able to do what you are describing. Here I have an MP spread with a text frame on layer 1 (Text) and 2 colored frames on layer 2 (Art):

Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 12.37.14 PM.png

If I release the text frame on page 2 and add text, I can go back to its master change the x,y position and all of the page text frames associated with the master page frame's text frame will respond to the position change. When I added text to the overridden frame I was careful not to change its position, otherwise it would no longer respond to the master page x,y change. I also added a new colored frame to the master. Note that I did not reapply the master to the page—I simply edited the master page:

Screen Shot 2015-06-08 at 12.38.58 PM.png

• 4. Re: Remove selected local overrides
                skywaystudios Level 1

I see. thanks for clarification!

I'll experiment with this.  I still wish there was a way to have a two - way sync between associated into, because at this point i've already moved a lot of the boxes in a 20-label document... 

kind of like lightroom, where you synchronize exposure settings, and a dialogue window pops up which allows checking on / off which features get overriden with a sync.  you know what i mean?

• 5. Re: Remove selected local overrides
                  Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

Overridden frames maintain their connection to the master page EXCEPT for parameters you change. If you move a frame after overriding, you lose th position connection so reapplying a master page will assert a new copy of the master frame in the old position, of if you move the original master frame the overridden frame will not update to match.

• 6. Re: Remove selected local overrides

I still wish there was a way to have a two - way sync between associated into, because at this point i've already moved a lot of the boxes in a 20-label document...

Whether it's one way or two way I think there would still be the problem of what happens to the master page items that have been overridden and moved. If you've moved all 20 of your labels to different positions do you really want to set them back to one x,y? Did you move them on purpose or accidentally? Are you going to get a dialog every time you make any change to an MP item (a text frame has over 100 parameters)?

You could do a global change via scripting. This Applescript (OSX only) will reset the position of all the page items associated with a selected page item's master. If you select one of the labels and run the script all of the document labels will have their x,y reset.

tell application "Adobe InDesign CC 2014"

set x to overridden master page item of selection

set {a, b, c, d} to geometric bounds of x

repeat with i in every page item of active document

if overridden master page item of i is x then

set geometric bounds of i to {a, b, c, d}

end if       

end repeat

end tell

• 7. Re: Remove selected local overrides
                      skywaystudios Level 1

Are you going to get a dialog every time you make any change to an MP item (a text frame has over 100 parameters)?

In lightroom, (my example),  you can make any adjustments, and copy / paste the settings as needed with a key command.

therefore, using the example on 20 labels, even if i adjusted every single label individually, but say i found that label #5 had a good position and styling that i wanted to copy and paste to another page, i could do use shift-command-c, and open the dialogue, and pick text styling, and then shift-command-v to paste style on a newly selected text box on another page.  if i wanted to make a global change, i would go to the master page, which would give an option of overriding any/all pages using a checkbox.  

if you've ever used lightroom you'd find that this is a great option to have in case you are designing and find a better solution along the way and want to quickly propagate that change back to other templates

• 8. Re: Remove selected local overrides

Take a look at object styles.