5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 7:44 AM by cc_merchant

Processors comparison, please :-)

Themis_37 Level 1

Please forgive my ignorance, but I've probably lost some "episodes" regarding Xeon vs i7 horsepower, so any help would be strongly appreciated :-)

I'm considering the purchase of an HP Z800 workstation, which - according to the electronic store's webpage - hosts two E5520 Intel Quad Core Xeon processors (8M Cache, 2.26 GHz), 12 Gbs of RAM and an Nvidia Quadro FX 1800 768 Mb graphics card.

Now I know for a fact that the amount of RAM could just as well be at 32 or 64 Gbs but, compared to a single i7 processor, e.g. the i7-5820 (2011-3,5 Ghz/15 Mb) is this particular dual Xeon processor horsepower superior or inferior? Or does one simply gain the Xeon stability and nothing more? Anyone with a firm knowledge or experience on the matter, please feel free to comment :-)

I edit on three different NLE: Avid MC, Adobe Premiere and GV Edius, all three for different kinds of jobs. This turnkey system is a certified workstation for all of the above software and since stability is my number one priority, I thought maybe it would be a good idea to purchase, since it's a refurbished item at an excellent condition and the price is very tempting. I know all about the cuda cores the extra RAM etc but what mainly concerns me is whether this particular 8-core dual Xeon setup is faster or slower than the i7-5820 (2011-3,5 Ghz/15 Mb), whose price alone is at almost two thirds the price of the entire workstation.

• 1. Re: Processors comparison, please :-)
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

the xeon E5520 is roughly 1/3 the speed of the i7-5820k. so even two wouldn't add up to the i7-5820k. xeon chips are for workstation/server computers, in combination with more expensive motherboards and memory, they are considered more stable. they also tend to have features used by admins and not useful to typical users. the quadro's are also considered workstation grade hardware, they are meant to be more reliable over the normal nvidia gtx cards. people pay the premium for workstation grade hardware when they value it being slightly more reliable. many of the people here use desktop grade hardware (i7's and gtx's) and have good results.

that particular HP Z800 with 2x E5520's, 12gb ram, and quadro fx 1800 would be considered sub-par at all levels, not just the cpu power. if you are looking for a workstation grade computer, look for something better than that for decent performance. ssd's and/or raid hdd's, plenty of ram and the video card should have at least 1 or 2 gb of memory as well.

• 2. Re: Processors comparison, please :-)
            Themis_37 Level 1

Thanks so much for the info, I appreciate it :-) I was looking at the specs of the HP Z820 workstations used for "Gone Girl" the other day and I somehow thought the Z800 would be a... close relative :-) Obviously, it's not and a number can make all the difference. I was so much used to i7 workstations that along the way I lost track of the Xeon family evolution, despite being an editor who worked with them for years. I know all about the cuda enhancement on horsepower etc. and I now see  that a custom-built workstation is a much more stable and reliable solution.

• 3. Re: Processors comparison, please :-)
              Bill Gehrke Most Valuable Participant

One of our frequent forum contributors Eric at ADK can reliably help you with a custom build.

• 4. Re: Processors comparison, please :-)
                Themis_37 Level 1

Thanks so much, Bill. I will contact him :-)