3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 10:53 AM by A.T. Romano

Strange screen appears from nowhere in video!

jimg1611 Level 1

Has anyone had a strange screen appear from nowhere embedded in their video?  I have just started using Premier Elements 13 and I've started to edit a project using some clips from my HD Camcorder. When I play back some of the clips I get a screen appearing for a split second with what appears to be foreign text on it.  It appears only for a split second so I'm unable to see what it is on the screen.  Very odd!  This screen is not on any of the source files.   Has anyone else had this?  Is it a virus?

• 1. Re: Strange screen appears from nowhere in video!
          Szalam Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Is it a yellow or red color?

If so, that's likely due to your footage and the software not communicating quickly enough so you're getting "missing media" or "media pending" screens. Where is the footage located and how is that drive connected to your computer? Also, what are your computer's specs?

• 2. Re: Strange screen appears from nowhere in video!
            Steve Grisetti Adobe Community Professional

I agree with Michael. You've got a stray missing clip.

Zoom into your timeline and you should see it (though you may also have to check on an upper video track.)

• 3. Re: Strange screen appears from nowhere in video!
              A.T. Romano Level 7

jimg1611

What version of Premiere Elements and on what computer operating system is it running?

What is the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the Timeline source video? Are all the clips on the Timeline from this same camera?

Please expand the Timeline with the -+ slider above the Timeline. Inspect each of the clips on that Timeline and note which ones have the colorful display and which ones do not. Do you see an obvious difference between the do and do not? Do you recall moving, deleting, or renaming any source files and folders that were imported into the project after the project was saved closed. When you import media into the project, all you get are copies of the originals which have been saved to the computer hard drive. But the project copies need to trace back to the originals on the hard drive location where they were when they were first imported into the project.

After you save, close, reopen this project, do you get "Where is the file ______?" message(s) that you need to answer before the program allows you to continue - unless you opt to use Skip All to enter the project?

By any chance have you incorporated your video clips into an Instant Movie named Outdoor Adventures? If so, please refer to

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE: Instant Movie Theme "Outdoor Adventure" Glitch

Are all the Timeline clips (project source media) stored in the same place (like an external hard drive) on your computer. If so, the would tend to take the focus off an external hard drive malfunctioning or drive letter change.

Please review and consider the above. We will be watching for details from you to help us help you.

Thank you.

ATR