I’m sure there’s going to be some issues in there – why not use a copy of RH7 files with a trial copy of RH2015 on an isolated machine to test it out beforehand.
Hi Diane, I agree with Jeff. Try downloading the evaluation version and test.
What Jeff didn't mention was that upgrading a project is very straightforward. Just like you upgrade a PowerPoint. You simply open the project file in the newer version and RoboHelp handles the rest. Pretty much. Once the project is open in the newer version, you will want to update the DHTML effects in all the topics. But that's about it.
Come back here if you have further questions.
Thanks to you both. We would certainly test this using a trial version first. What I was hoping was that someone might know of specific issues such as the DTML effects Rick mentioned. Rick, what is it about those that requires they be updated?
Apologies in advance if you already knew some of this.
As an aside, here's some RoboHistory! Adobe didn't always own RoboHelp. Prior to Adobe, macromedia had it for a brief period. And prior to macromedia, a company named eHelp had it. Hence the ehlpdhtm.js name.
So updating the DHTML is done instance by instance? No such luck as being able to apply that new .js file globally?
Sent from my iPad
Sorry, it seems could have been clearer.
The thing is, in each topic where the DHTML is used, some naming or whatever may have changed. So choosing the option to update the effects ensures what has been used in the topic will continue to match. Likely too, it will trigger something to cause RoboHelp to perform some update of the actual ehlpdhtm.js file. Remember, this file will likely already exist if you are upgrading.
So the action I stated of updating the effects in topics should be a "one off". After upgrading, you perform that action, all topics are updated and you should be good to go. So yeah, in my mind that's "globally".
Cool....thank you so much:)
The option Rick mentions is under the Tools menu in RH11. I assume it'll be in the Tools ribbon/menu/tab/whatever-its-called in RH2015.
2015: on the Tools tab, Update DHTML. (In the Scripts section.) as Amebr suspected.
OK...so I found and clicked the Update DHTML Effects in Topics option in RH 11. The Output View pane said it updated the topics. I saved the project but see that the drop-down text feature isn't working. When I right-click on the drop-down text link, an empty Drop-Down Text Editor pops up. And in the WebHelp when you click on a link nothing happens. Thoughts on what must be done in addition to performing the DHTML upgrade in the Tools menu?
Thanks again all.
Did you delete the .cpd file before opening the copy in RH2015? If not, take a fresh copy of the original, delete the cpd and try opening it again.
(also, I assume you aren't using source control)
I had not but just did. Took a new copy of the old project, deleted the CPD, opened the project in RH11, did the Update DHTML and still the same problem...all drop-down text is missing.
hmm, just trying to remember back to the last time I upgraded. I do know I had one project that was a problem child, with all sorts of random issues 4 times I opened it, and then pretty much no issues (couple of minor formatting things) the 5th time for no apparent reason - not much help, I know,
The main problems I found were usually cached information in the cpd (non-technically based theory), and source control interfering with the proper conversion (a full manual checkout prevented a lot of errors). but if you're working on a copy and have removed source control references if applicable, this wouldn't be an issue for you.
I'll sleep on it and post back if I think of anything else.
Well that gives me a little hope...I've only tried twice so maybe if I give it a few more tries magic will happen:) This has not been in source control so that can be ruled out as a cause of the problem. So when you say you "opened" it 4 times and then the 5th time it worked, by "opened" do you simply mean making another copy of the original project, deleting the CPD and then opening in the new version? I'd have to go back and look for it, but I thought years ago I read about corrupt projects and that deleting something else in addition to the CPD often fixed things..just don't recall what the other file was.
Thanks for your help.
One thing worth trying would be to open one of the sample projects. Then right-click somewhere in the Project Manager and choose Explore. That action should open Windows Explorer at the project location. Find and copy the ehlpdhtm.js file.
Now open your problem child project and repeat the process. But instead of copying the file, PASTE and overwrite the ehjpdhtm.js file.
Then test the drop-downs.
Did as you suggested...
Made a new copy of my version 7 project.
Opened the project in version 11.
Copied the ehlpdhtm.js file from the Salesbuilder2 project. (That file was dated December 17, 2013.)
Pasted the ehlpdhtm.js file into the version 11 project.
Still no DHTML.
Closed the project.
Deleted the CPD.
Reopened the project - still nothing.
Yes, when I said "opened" I followed the process you described.
It might be worth checking the html code.
Open a RH7 topic in a text editor and check that you can find the drop-down content in the topic source code. (It might be right at the top of the topic, that is, separated from the drop-down hyperlink text. )
Open the same topic from a converted project and check that you can find the drop-down content. (In the same location as the drop-down hyperlink text.)
Thank you all for your help. Rick discovered that the project I was trying to upgrade had been created from webhelp output files which was surely the cause of the different issues I was having. I located an earlier version of the project and it upgraded to RH11 without issue. So although the content needs to be brought up to date, we finally have a clean, working project. Again, thanks everyone.