5 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2015 5:21 PM by Peter Spier

in design crashes all the time

arne-blateral

I am working a a huge file and i am in the lst minutes before sending the documents to the printer. all of a sudden in design crashed and now every time i open it it crashes again

• 1. Re: in design crashes all the time
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

If ID is now crashing on launch (as opposed to launching and then crashing when you try to pen the file) the recovery data is corrupt and should be deleted. See Replace Your Preferences  for the location of the InDesign Recovery folder on your OS-- it's in the same place as the InDesign SavedData file which is part of the preferences. This should allow ID to launch and you can open the last saved version of your file (if it is not also corrupt) but you will have lost any changes since the  last save.

If ID is launching, but the file is crashing, it is damaged. There are tools, but we would need to know the version of ID and your OS.

What size is this "huge file" and what is in it?

• 2. Re: in design crashes all the time
            arne-blateral Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you for your reply. ID Launches but imediatly crashes with the file. I am working on CC2014 and OS Yosimite 10.10.3. The file is a 60 Page conference programm and the ID file itselve is 52 MB.

thank you in advance

• 3. Re: in design crashes all the time

>ID Launches but imediatly crashes with the file.

I'm not sure what that means, but it sounds like a failing auto-recovery (meaning you are not manually opening the file). If that's the case, empty the recovery folder as suggested above.

In this case "huge" seems to mean 60 pages, which shouldn't tax ID, but 52 mb might be a bit large for what you have, which could be the result of accumulating old change data which is useless after you close the file and could be the cause of the failure. If you are able to open the file after clearing the recovery folder, export to IDML (see Remove minor corruption by exporting), then periodically do a Save As on the new file as you edit. I recommend saving working versions at each major change point, and uking a versioning naming system to give you a backup chain.

• 4. Re: in design crashes all the time
                arne-blateral Level 1

Hi Peter,

Thank you. tried all options and ended up sending the files to Markzware no luck recovering.

Seems that happens quite a bit with ID nowadays.

• 5. Re: in design crashes all the time

Sorry to hear that.