1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 1, 2007 3:07 PM by Whit G.

AS/JS limits?

Whit G. Level 1
      I'm working on a revised portfolio site for which I want my Flash movie to be able to dump content into a DIV that's sitting above it. Aside from the fact that I'm having a bit of formatting trouble with the JS by itself, it has recently been brought to my attention that Flash now has built-in blocks for things like this that may prevent me from doing what I'm trying to do. Bear in mind that I am merely a script tinkerer, not an author by any stretch of the imagination.

All I know so far is that the pop-up script I implemented in this site several years ago:
      http://www.morris-day.com/home.html (click "Contact Us" then the "Contact Form" link)

...still works just fine. The AS/JS setup for that is:

on (release) {
      getURL("javascript:openNewWindow('contact.html','contact','height=700,width=800,toolbar,sc rollbars,resizable,left=20,top=20')");
      }

My fancy new pop-up setup (that uses DIVs instead of windows) involves this content-replacement script (that is currently only working in Safari but hasn't worked at all from inside an SWF):

<script type="text/JavaScript">
      <!--
      function MM_goToURL() { //v3.0
      var i, args=MM_goToURL.arguments; document.MM_returnValue = false;
      for (i=0; i<(args.length-1); i+=2) eval(args +".location='"+args[i+1]+"'");
      return true
      }
      //-->
      </script>

<a href="javascript:MM_goToURL('parent.frames[\'movieA\']','color2.html')">TEST2</a>

Can anyone tell me for certain wether or not this script is ever going to work for what I'm trying to do? Obviously there's no point in browser-proofing the script if it's going to be blocked from working at all in my Flash movie. I can use actual pop-up windows if I have to, but the DIV setup would be a lot more elegant.

Thanks!
      - whit