2 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 5:03 AM by rob day

Color Shifts in 'High Quality Print' vs. 'Press Print'?

journeyman7891

Hey everyone -- I'm running into a bit of a brick wall here with my print house. The middle-man keeps exporting files from InDesign with the Press Print setting, but it's causing a painful color shift (the magentas get pulled out of everything and all the blues start looking teal), whereas when I export a High Quality Print as my color correct reference, it exports identically as it previews in InDesign, retaining the CMYK profile established in Photoshop.  Obviously there are always going to differences in the final printed version, but the Press Print export seems to really destroy any profiles and render them dull and skewing green.  Any ideas on why this color shift between High Quality Print and Press Print may be occuring?  Many thanks for your help!

• 1. Re: Color Shifts in 'High Quality Print' vs. 'Press Print'?
          Peter Spier Most Valuable Participant (Moderator)

High Quality Print preserves the color, Press Quality converts to CMYK, and it sounds like the wrong profile is being used. Might be you have used a profile that doesn't match the press, or the middleman has no clue. Why are you not making the PDFs?

• 2. Re: Color Shifts in 'High Quality Print' vs. 'Press Print'?
            rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP

Any ideas on why this color shift between High Quality Print and Press Print may be occuring?

Press Quality converts to CMYK and does not include any profiles. In that case all of the exported color is DeviceCMYK and the color preview in AcrobatPro will depend on whatever CMYK profile happens to be set in the Color Management preference or whatever simulation profile is being used when Output Preview is open. It would be like saving a Photoshop CMYK image without a profile, the color preview would shift if you change the Color Settings' Working CMYK space.

You might consider using one of the standardized PDF/X presets, which includes an Output Intent profile that is used for soft proofing in AcrobatPro. PDF/X-4 keeps all color profiled and uses your document's CMYK profile as the output intent. If you want all of the color to be CMYK you can make the conversion at Export from the Output tab.