9 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2015 8:40 AM by Eclectic Taste

Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC

robertperrin25

Hi All,

I've unsuccessfully searched the forum for a way to only import RAW images from a memory card when I shoot RAW+JPG.  I'm new to Lightroom and so far the only way I've figured to do it is to separate the files before letting Lightroom convert them to DNG. Is there another way?

• 1. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
          Chetna Srivastava Adobe Employee

Hi Robert,

In order to allow Lightroomt o detect only Raw files from Raw+Jpeg shoot is to go under Lightroom Preferences - General Tab and make sure that the tab "Treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate" is unchecked. Then, restart Lightroom and start the import.

Regards,

Chetna

• 2. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
            robertperrin25 Level 1

Ok, I've done that, so now how do I group JPGs and RAWs together in the grid view so that I can easily uncheck them by group.  I thought that the sort:Media Type menu at the bottom of the import window would take care of that, but it didn't change the sorting and each RAW appeared next to it's corresponding JPG.

• 3. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC

Hi Robert,

If you will uncheck the option under Preferences that I mentioned, then Lightroom will not show you jpeg files in the Import dialog box.

It will show only Raw files in the import dialog box and will treat jpeg as a sidecar file.

• 4. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
                robertperrin25 Level 1

Well that's a nice option, but my original question was how to import the RAW images without the JPG.  I don't need them as sidecars.  I don't need the JPG's anymore once I have access to a computer.  I know that I can manually separate the files once I'm on the PC and have only the RAW files there to import, it seems like a simple matter to include a drop down box or something that allows me to specify what I want to import. 

• 5. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC

Robert, by sidecar I did not mean embedded.

If you will uncheck that option which I mentioned, then JPG's would not appear at all in Import window. I suggested you to choose that option because there is no option to sort by file type in the import window.

That is the only option which you are looking for: uncheck the option "Treat jpeg files next to raw files as separate photos" under Lightroom General Preferences.

• 6. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
                    gypsytan Level 1

Um, I'm trying to do the same.  I think Robert is trying to make sure that JPEG are not imported at all, whether or not they appear in the import window. 

I have that box unchecked from when I started using Lightroom CC 10 days ago.  Yet, I checked my hard drive today, and Lightroom copied RAW and JPEG to my hard drive.   Isn't there an option to import RAW only?

• 7. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
                      robertperrin25 Level 1

Gypsytan,

I'm coming from Aperture and there was an option in Aperture to import Raw only, raw+jpg or jpg only and you could set whichever one you wanted as master.  I was expecting the same to be available in Lightroom, but it is not.  So what I do now is just sort the files in the Finder by type, select all the jpg's and delete them and then import just the RAW files as DNG.  It adds an extra step, but it's really not that big of a deal.

• 8. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
                        gypsytan Level 1

Thanks, Robert.  I'm coming from Aperture too, and so far, find Lightroom pretty annoying for photo management.  The way you're working you're copying from your card into the finder; then deleting jpegs, then importing raw.  Much easier when you can import directly to your photo management software.  Surely the alternative is to shoot only RAW, which I'm doing now, but prefer RAW+jpeg when I travel.  Thanks anyway.

• 9. Re: Import only  RAW with Lightroom CC
                          Eclectic Taste

My workaround is to use Windows file explorer to go to the memory card, then manually copy just the RAW files to a temporary folder on my hard drive. Then, I open Lightroom and point to the folder I just copied the RAW files, and tell it to MOVE the files to the final, permanent directory during import.

Really sad that Lightroom doesn't offer the option to select files by type, because manually de-selecting hundreds of jpegs is impractical.