23 Replies Latest reply on Jun 12, 2015 7:45 PM by A.T. Romano

When i edit video, it wont play smooth?

Mailo Robles Level 1

anyone out there that can help me?

• 1. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
          John T Smith Adobe Community Professional & MVP

You asked the same question in the Premiere Pro forum when i try to edit video it doesn't play smooth?

What do you have... Premiere Elements or Premiere Pro?

• 2. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Your thread to which I am replying is now in the Adobe Premiere Elements Forum. What version of Premiere Elements are you using and what computer operating system is it running?

If you do have Premiere Elements

a. What are the properties of the files that you are putting on the Timeline? Do the properties of the source file match the description of the project settings that you (manually) or the project (automatically) have set?

b. Are you looking at the Timeline rendered content when you are watching the Timeline content in the Edit area monitor?

c. If you export the Timeline, does the export play back smoothly whereas the Timeline content did not before export?

These are just starter questions if you have a Premiere Elements issue? The answers will be in the details. So, please supply more details to help us help you. If you have a program other than Premiere Elements, please post your thread in the forum that specializes in your program.

Thank you.

ATR

• 3. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
              Mailo Robles Level 1

Thank you for helping me.

Ok....... I'm using Adobe elements 13

that's a first that I've heard of properties?

Yes, when i see the time line i do see the same on the monitor. they both kinda, skip or freeze or studder.

when i export the time line, it does play real smooth and sweet.

Before i forget i know i have a older PC, but i had doubled the ram from 2 to 4 which i know is low. i have 2.37GB of free ram

and my processor runs at 1.9GH. I also have 95 free of 148 on my hard drive.

• 4. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Thank you for the reply with further details.

Let us see what you can do with your Premiere Elements 13 and your computer operating system as is.

It was good that you increased the installed RAM from 2 to 4 GB. Do you know what your computer operating system is - Windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?

Because of your problem description, we need to know more about what you are putting on the project's Timeline. For that we need the properties of whatever it is. If video, then video compression, audio compression, frame size, frame rate, interlaced or progressive, file extension, pixel aspect ratio. If you have not run into that type of information, perhaps we could get that information by knowing the brand/model/settings of the camera that recorded the video. If photos, then we should know the size and how many. By size I mean the photo dimensions in unit of pixlels....example 1920 x 1080 or 1280 x 720 or 720 x 480, 720 x 576.

At this time what is the typical duration of the your export - are you thinking 60 minutes or less project or longer?

Are you thinking a standard definition (lesser resolution) or high definition (higher resolution) product? How do you want to export your Timeline content - to disc or to file saved to computer hard drive?

The above is where we should start. Please consider. If you have questions or need clarification, please ask, and I will explain another way and/or give you another way to do the task.

We want you to succeed and will help.

Thank you.

ATR

• 5. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                  Mailo Robles Level 1

I'm running Windows 7, 32-bit operating system.

when i export its kinda slow but under one hour.

i select 1080p-HD for my resolution.

Im saving all my pics and video on a external seagate hard drive to free up my PC hard drive i heard that could help.

I'm using a new camera that i just bought, a Cannon 60D that does video, i have it set for rec size is 1920/1080 24 frames per sec.

• 6. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Great information. Thank you. From the details so far, your larger projects are likely to present a problem because of your computer resources which make Premiere Elements 13 a 32 bit, not 64 bit, application on your Windows 7 32 bit computer.

To start, let us try to get one file on the Timeline and working well, and then we can add to that to see how much your program/computer system will support.

Project Settings (Project Preset)

Your source file is 1920 x 1080 @ 24 progressive frames per second.\ from the Canon 60D.

So you want to start with your project settings to match those properties. In this case, the appropriate project preset would be

NTSC

DSLR

1080p

DSLR 1080p24.

If you just open the program to the Expert workspace and drag the file to the Timeline, then the project will try to set the project settings if it can analyze your file and match its properties with one of its project presets. If it does it right, when you look at Edit Menu/Project Settings/General, you will specifically see the following...

24ppropres.JPG

If you do not see that and see HD 1080i in Editing Mode field, then you have the wrong project settings set by the project.

Then you start a new project and set the right project preset before you import your file into the Expert workspace Timeline using Add Media/Files and Folders/

You set the project preset manually before importing the source file by using the following steps.

• Open the project to the Expert workspace, and go to File Menu/New Project and Change Settings.
                    • In Change Settings, set the project preset to match the properties of the source media. OK out of there.
                    • In the New Project dialog that opens, rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to "Force Selected Project Setting on This Project". OK out of there.
                    • Back in the Expert workspace, import your source media using Add Media/ choice.

Under the above conditions, how does your video play back after you get it into the project's Expert workspace Timeline Video Track 1? Does it have an orange line over its Timeline content during the play back?

Please review and consider the above. Once we determine the results, then we will decide what needs to be done or move forward with the steps.

Any questions, please ask.

Thank you.

ATR

• 7. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                      Mailo Robles Level 1

Ok......I did find file and went to change settings.

i really think were getting close!

i did find NTSC but next was

AVCHD?

it was set at AVCHD 1080p60 which i think is wrong?

but my next choices didn't match here they are

AVCHD Lite 720p24

AVCHD Lite 720p30

AVCHD Lite 720p60

Full HD 1080i 30

FullHD 1080i 30 5.1

HD 1080i 30

HD 1080i 30 5.1

QFHD 16/9 23.976

QFHD 16/9 29.97

QFHD 16/9 59.94

and i dont have a orange line, i have a yellow line going across.

• 8. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Thanks for the reply. I think that we are moving along but need some fine tuning of the details...

In Change Settings, you will see the following when you open to that Change Settings area....ChangeSettings.JPG

You do not want anything in the NTSC/AVCHD. See the triangle on the AVCHD panel. Click on that triangle to close the AVCHD list. The closed AVCHD will have the triangle pointing to the right.

Click on the DSLR panel where the triangle is facing right. Click on it so that the triangle faces downward so that that DSLR choices are seen.

You want NTSC/DSLR/1080p/DSLRp24

ChangeSettingsp24.JPG

After you have selected the option of DSLR 1080p24, then click OK to get out of the Change Settings.

You will next be facing the New Project dialog, where you rename the project and make sure to have a check mark next to Force Selected Project Setting on this Project.

NewProjectp24.JPG

After Clicking OK to the New Project dialog, follow the instructions in the prior post.

Thanks.

ATR

• 9. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                          Mailo Robles Level 1

I don't give up, i did what you ask i went into change settings, i did find DSLR1080p24 and i forced the change.

in expert mode. then added new media. and it still kinda freezes still.

• 10. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                            A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Great job of follow up.

Please confirm whether or not you saw an orange line over the Timeline content when you dragged your source video file to the Timeline.

The following screenshot points to the orange line to which I am referring.

Render11.JPG

That screenshot is from version 11 but is same in 12 and 13. If we got the project preset correct, then there should be no orange line there after you dragged the file to the Timeline for the first time. There would no colored line. Also, if you press the Render button, if we got the project preset correct, you should not get Timeline render dialog. All you would get is playback of the Timeline content in that Edit area monitor.

We will watch for your report on this point.

Thank you.

ATR

• 11. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                              Mailo Robles Level 1

i don't see a orange line, there is no line at all when i bring media down,

It's like im stuck trying to change my settings, it won't stay from my last setting

i haven't seen that orange line at all.

i don't give up easy.

• 12. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

That is good news if you brought the video to the Timeline and there was no colored line over that content. That is what we want. That suggests that we have the project settings OK. Just be aware when you edit that video file, the no colored line will turn orange. That is normal. Then you press the Render button above the Timeline. The orange line turns green. No colored line or green line over the Timeline content means you are seeing the best possible preview of your video in the Edit area monitor. The orange line means you are not, and, if you want the best possible preview, you need to press the Render button above the Timeline.

What is the duration and file size of the video that you just imported into the Timeline Video Track1. If you do not know, please go to Project Assets, right click the file's thumbnail there, select Properties, and read what it list for duration and file size.

Let us go back to the point where you are just dragging your video to the Timeline for the first time....

Given that you have your file on the Timeline, there is no colored line over it. Right click the file, select Time Stretch, in the Time Stretch dialog set the Speed % = 99. When you go back to the Timeline, there will now be an orange line over the Timeline content. Now hit the Render button above the Timeline. When the Timeline render is completed, the orange line will turn green. Now when the video plays back in the Edit area monitor, does it run more smoothly?

Whatever the results from the above, please move on to the Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24. Hit the Save button to save that Timeline to file (AVCHD.mp4) to the computer hard drive. Play back that export with a computer player. What is the quality of the playback of the export? We are doing this export  to try to determine if there is a preview problem separate from a program problem. We are going to compare the preview look with the look of the file's playback using a computer player.

Thanks for the follow ups.

ATR

• 13. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                  Mailo Robles Level 1

We got it!

I did what you told me, first came the yellow line then the green line and it played smooth, but only in expert mode.

I don't know why, when i go to settings its stuck on NTSC-AVCHD-Full HD 1080i 30 drives me nuts!!

Its like a default mode or i don't understand how to get it to stay 1080p24?

• 14. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                    Mailo Robles Level 1

Just want to thank you for all the help, A.T. Romano.

Your the Best!

• 15. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Thanks for the message. Sounding very good. Great job.

Are you ready for the export of the Timeline yet? Or, have you done that already?

Looking forward to your results from Publish+Share/Computer/AVCHD with Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p24.

Many thanks for exploring the troubleshooting.

Best wishes

ATR

• 16. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                        Mailo Robles Level 1

I don't understand what you mean by Publish share computer /AVCHD ect....

• 17. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                          A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Thanks for the follow up.

Once you have imported your video into the project, have it on the Timeline, edited it, and everything looking good, then you need to get it out of the project and into a form that can be viewed by others on the computer or using a DVD player, DVD player or Blu-ray player attached to a TV, or other.

To do that, you go to the section of the program called Publish+Share and the section of Publish+Share named Computer. There are many choices after that. The one that I picked for you is

Publish+Share

Computer

AVCHD

with the Presets = MP4 H.264 1920 x 1080p30

Mailo.JPG

Please let me know if the above works for you. If not, please explain where you are now in the project. The only way to get your imported video out of the project file is by export (Publish+Share), and you make the decision on how you want to export it so that other can view what you produced.

Thank you.

ATR

• 18. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                            Mailo Robles Level 1

I'm back I am able to finish the video, and I did publish and share, and it plays sweet, but now I'm doing a new project and I want to add some pics in between the video clips but a pop up shows up saying its too large to add it, can you help me?

• 19. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                              A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Thanks for asking that question. At first it puzzled me because you are using Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7. But, I forgot that you are using 13/13.1 on a 32 bit computer.  That is why you are getting the "too large" message when you try to add your photos to the project. If you had Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 64 bit, you would not be getting that message even with photos that are oversized for the project.

You are going to be forced to resize them. Please tell me what size they are now, width and height in pixels. I will probably be asking you to crop resize them, but first we need to know the size of the originals.

Please check out the following older post which gives explanation for the "too large"

Re: JPG size limit in PE8??

Please see my explanation in post 6 of the above link. I have more on this matter, if you need it.

Thank you.

ATR

Add On...Do you have Photoshop Elements?

• 20. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                                Mailo Robles Level 1

Good morning A.T. Romano

My Pic dimensions are 5184/3456 size 6.96mbI have no idea how to crop pics, I don't even know were to start.

• 21. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                                  A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

It is that Premiere Elements 13/13.1 on Windows 7 32 bit that is making this extra work for you. There are other considerations about using a photo that large in any version of Premiere Elements. But, for now, let us focus on what you have and how to get your photo into the project. How many of these photos do you want in this project?

That 5184 x 3456 has the aspect ratio of 3:2 which is typical for printing. But, we want 16:9 for this 16:9 project.

Do you have Photoshop Elements? If you do, then I will give you a step by step how to crop resize those 5184 x 3456 photos.

If you do not have Photoshop Elements, I will tell you another way.

ATR

• 22. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                                    Mailo Robles Level 1

Ok I don't have photo shop elements.My new project is short video, but would like to add some pics in between the video clips. and adjust how long the pic runs.I would also like to learn how to learn how to fade the audio in and out? and how can I slow down a video clip?

• 23. Re: When i edit video, it wont play smooth?
                                                      A.T. Romano Level 7

Mailo Robles

Do you have WIndows Essential 2012's Photo Gallery installed on your computer?

Photo Gallery is part of the Windows Essential 2012 suite of program. It is free and can crop and resize your photos one by one. I am will find out next if it can do batch cropping.

Windows Essentials - Download Windows Live Essentials

1. Download Windows Essential 2012 but, in the install, just install Photo Gallery. Do not bother with Movie Maker, Windows Live Mail, and any of the rest unless you want to. Right now our focus is on the free Photo Gallery and getting your photos into the right size for your Premiere Elements project.

Please let me know if downloading and installing Photo Gallery sounds OK to you. Maybe give it a try. How to instructions for cropping resizing.

Thanks.

ATR

Add On...please remind me, how many photos will be going into your project?