1 2 Previous Next 43 Replies Latest reply on Jul 19, 2015 3:58 AM by RoninEdits

Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

johnt53984649 Level 2

There's a lot to consider here, but when I render, only about 50% of the CPU is being used, while around 42% of the RAM.  However, there's a lot of hardware specs I have to mention and a lot of render settings as well, on top of all the effects I've applied, so let's go through all of them:

Hardware:

5960X CPU

2x NVIDIA Geforce GTX 970

32 GB DDR4 RAM

256 GB Samsung 850 Pro (Premiere Pro and other programs installed here)

1TB Samsung 850 Pro SSD (Source Footage and Output Render)

Now, it must also be mentioned that I used an After Effects composition that I linked into Premiere Pro that I THEN altered with SpeedGrade.  None of the footage was rendered in that process.  So let's go over the effects I applied.

This is an 1.21 GB, 6-minute, 1080p, AVCHD video shot in 59 FPS that has been altered with (it started in After Effects) Corner Pin, corrected slightly with Optics Compensation, and then had a Compound Blur (Maximum Blur set to 2.0) applied to it, all of these effects for the entire duration of the 6 minute video.  Yes, that sounds like a lot, and it is.

That After Effects composition was linked into Premiere and then opened with SpeedGrade, where all sorts of grading was done to it, from highlights to shadows and saturation.  Then, it was sent back to Premiere.

So, naturally, after all of this, no matter how good my hardware, I was expecting a long render time.  What I wasn't expecting was only 50% CPU usage and around 42% RAM usage.  I have not monitored GPU activity during these renders.  So, that makes me wonder, what are my export settings and what programs are using the CPU?

This was being exported directly from within the newest version of Premiere CC 2014 (there are no updates available to it).  I basically matched the source in everything (I was not exporting any audio whatsoever) and did not have "Use Maximum Render Quality" checked.  It was only 1 pass and the bitrates were set at a target of 10 mpbs and a maximum of 12 mbps.  So those were the export settings, but now we must know what I have set the software itself to use.

Seeing the task manager, even though I'm exporting from Premiere Pro, since nothing has actually been done to the footage in Premiere Pro, After Effects is taking up the majority of the CPU usage, at 45% while Premiere takes up the other 5%.  So I look at my Memory and Multiprocessing settings, which I though I understood, to see that I have them set as follows:

U8OgPM1.png

I've tried messing around and changing many of these various settings, but I haven't seen much difference.  However, there are many combinations I have yet to try.

I know that the export time is going to be long.  But, given all of the above, why is only half of the CPU being used?  I know that 8 is half of 16, as you see above (which seems like a hint), but changing that number to something lower did not change the CPU usage, which I do not understand.  If I have to give an estimate, it's probably taking about an hour and twenty minutes to export what I've mentioned above (which isn't too bad of a time given all the effects I've applied and it's being exported in 59 FPS).  So, to sum it up, are there other settings that I should be changing somewhere to ensure that more of the computer's resources are being used during the exporting process?  What am I missing?

• 1. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
          RoninEdits Most Valuable Participant

unfortunately AE is very outdated and mostly a 32-bit program inside a 64-bit shell. the multiprocessing is adobe's band-aid to get around that mess. Optimizing After Effects Performance  if you render from AE it should be able to use all 8 and 100% cpu. if you look at the task manager, it should launch multiple copies of AfterFX.exe to get 100% cpu usage. i think its a limitation of premiere and adobe media encoder to not have access to the multiprocessing function of AE, therefore it cripples the render as you are seeing. if you do render it in AE, you can then import that clip into premiere and disable/delete the AE comp and have good render times in premiere.

• 2. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
            Kevin-Monahan Adobe Employee

Moving to the Hardware forum.

Thanks,

Kevin

• 3. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
              JFPhoton Level 3

I think I have seen Eric Bowen of ADK computers recommend here on the hardware forum to use at least 3GB of memory for EACH core using After Effects. As AE will use ALL the memory you can throw at it, you may want to ADD MORE to bring it up to at least 64GB.....32 is really too little for a 5960X system, anyway. You should bring ALL the cores, ( 16) to bear while using AE.  With 64 GB of memory, you would use at least 48GB, ( 3GB per "cpu",or, "thread" ), with AE, or, even MORE, if you wanted.

Next, you should be overclocking that CPU...many here are running theirs at 4.5 Ghz to significantly improve performance.

Finally, AE has the "global performance Cache" feature, where rendered frames can be STORED to avoid RE-RENDERING ALL the frames every time you make a change. This speeds up performance greatly and it is usually advised to designate a very fast drive for this " cache".  In your case, you may want to consider adding the new Samsung SM951 PCI SSD which has AMAZING read and write speeds....however, Samsung 850 Pros are the fastest SATA III SSDs that are available...you could add one more 1 TB Samsung 850 Pro to make a super fast RAID 0 for  volume everything OTHER than what should be on your existing boot drive....it would run at around 1 GB per second read and write !!

• 4. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                johnt53984649 Level 2

Alright.  I am unable to try this at the moment, but I do believe that the combination of RoninEdits' and JFPhotons' answers will probably solve the issue.  I have exported from After Effects by itself, and it did use much more of the CPU (that was a while ago, though, so I'll report back once I try it again).  So, to me, it sounds like Adobe needs to figure out how to make Premiere use After Effects compositions more effectively.  Hopefully they fix that in the future.

Also, it's true, I have not overclocked this CPU, mostly because it's $1,000 and I've never overclocked a CPU in my whole life.  Basically, I'm a little scared to do that, even with many of the guides online.

Unfortunately, the machine was enough of a budget-buster that adding another 850 Pro would be too much.  However, I might look into adding more RAM in the future.  But that's the hardware I MUST stick with for now.

Like I said, I'll report back when I'm able to test your suggestions.

• 5. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                  johnt53984649 Level 2

Now that I've been able to test it, I've found that rendering directly from within After Effects uses basically all of the resources to one hundred percent, after changing to match JFPhoton's suggestions.  It rendered the footage in 31 minutes and 35 seconds, impressively, although I removed the blur effect.

However, here's my problem now; the frequency that I'm going to be doing these kinds of renders.  I exported the above to my 2 TB Seagate STBD2000101 (HDD) because I knew that the file size would be massive, and it is (136 GB .avi file).  Basically, even though I have one of the heartiest SSDs, one meant to stand 40 GB a day for 10 years, the problem is that I'm going to be exporting these files to use in Premiere Pro very, very often; to the point where the SSD would be used up much, much faster.  I know SSDs are meant to do this kind of work, but I'm not going to have the option to replace it (the 1TB one) anytime soon.  Which means I need a way to export from After Effects so that it can be used within Premiere Pro so that not nearly as much file space is used while also not losing too much quality.  That's why I originally wanted to use the After Effects composition linked directly into Premiere Pro, but that doesn't seem like an option since only half of the CPU is used when doing that.

So now my question is, what's the best workaround?  How should I export from After Effects, or should I just rely on them fixing the error so that a linked composition will use more of the CPU when exporting from Premiere Pro (or is that not a glitch at all and I'm just missing something)?  Supposedly Premiere Pro is getting an update by the end of this month, which I can wait for.

• 6. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                    cc_merchant Level 4

I think you are worrying your life away about this.

Without knowing which SSD you are talking about, let's assume (worst case scenario) it is a TLC NAND drive with a capacity of 1 TB. Not a VNAND SSD.

A TLC drive has at least 1000 P/E cycles and that is very conservative but is what SMART uses.

Since you will be exporting one file at a time, it is sequential in nature, so WA (write amplification) is 1.

You can write at least 1000 x 1000 GB = 1 PB without any issue but probably 3 times as much in practice. If you export two 150 GB files every day, 365 days per year, that translates to an expected life span of around 3333 days in a row, more than 9 years. No HDD can be expected to last that long. Your indication of 10 years is based on manufacturer data, which are random writes with a WA of 3.

If you still worry about life expectancy, you can export using H.264 with a rather high bitrate to keep quality up and file size down, in comparison with uncompressed.

• 7. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                      JFPhoton Level 3

....if using AE on a regular basis.....the upgrade to 64 GB of system RAM would provide a significant performance increase in using that program.  the CPU overclock is ALSO something that WILL provide an increase in performance.....MANY, if not MOST, users here with the X99 board and  the 5960X are overclocking well above 4 Ghz to increase performance. You should NOT be afraid to do this as it is MUCH easier to accomplish this with today's user interface tools that are DESIGNED to simplify the EXPECTED overclocking by users. NOT overclocking your CPU and NOT putting 64GB of system memory is HANDICAPPING the performance of a very fast computer. It would be like buying a Porsche and having the FUEL supply restricted along with shutting off two of the engine cylinders !!

It appears that your GPU situation is fine, and that besides increasing the memory and doing the CPU overclock, you may want to add a LARGE ENTERPRISE GRADE 4TB, or,6TB hard drive for backing up and archiving. You can accomplish your work using only the SSDs as "work drives"...then move everything off them that you need to keep onto this 7200HDD. Many of these are now running at over 200MB/sec...the large 3.5inch models with 128 MB of cache.

You may also wish to study which workflows may be more efficient using both PPro AND AE....especially if using any "plug-ins" that may not "thread well" with the CPU ,or, effects in PPro that are not CUDA accelerated by mercury Playback with the NVidia GPUs. I am sure there are many experienced users on these forums that can help with that. Your CPU with 8 cores and especially if overclocked, is VERY powerful and may be able to EASILY handle the highly compressed formats natively without you having to work with GIANT SIZE avi files.......look into this.

• 8. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                        johnt53984649 Level 2

I certainly will.  I'm going to be looking at overclocking first, but my situation is a little unique, one that prevents me from upgrading anything else (at least for the next half a year or possibly longer).

On the other hand, when you're mentioning "Plug-ins" what kinds are you referring to?  Kinds that change render settings or kinds with certain effects?  For example, I have one plug-in that adds a few transitions, but that wouldn't have the effects you're referring to.  Can I have some examples?

• 9. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                          JFPhoton Level 3

......in PPro there are a whole host of video effects which are " accelerated" by the NVidia provided CUDA GPU which uses the "mercury Playback engine " to speed processing by a factor of TEN TIMES, because the GPU "takes over" the processing of these SPECIFIC effects. The list of those is easily found in PPro. Simply click on the "video effects"  tab. Then , you will see three "columns ". Clicking the top "folder" of the left hand column reveals all the "accelerated effects" that are done by the GPU. All the others are done by the CPU and can be harder on system resources without a powerful and fast CPU. In AE, I am not sure what...if any......effects THERE are GPU accelerated.

Some editors use non - Adobe " plug ins " to create effects within AE that come from other companies. Some may not perform well with multi-threading, some do, i am not sure which ones do what......you will have to research. It is a good idea to use the accelerated effects in PPro if you can, and also learn about the best way to export.

Compressed 1440p which I have rendered runs at about 100mb per second as an H264 MP4 file........10mb per second is way to low to produce any quality for compressed video. Do not go by youtube info for producing quality videos....read more in the forums and on the web....from professionals.

A large enterprise grade HDD can be purchased on sale for around $200.....currently, New Egg is selling a 32 GB DDR4 ripjaws memory kit for $160....... the memory would be well worth it for starters, if you can swing it.

• 10. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

what format/codec were you exporting, to get the 136 avi file? uncompressed?  you just need something slightly better than your final export, dnxhd/r is a popular codec. it has several different quality settings to choose from, the files can still get big, but are a fair trade off for the quality they preserve. Avid QuickTime Codecs LE

for workflows, depending on your project, if you know what ae comps you have to do at the start, you could do them first and let them background render while you move on to editing in premiere. you can do this in AME, which is suppose to work well as a background renderer or use AE, and perhaps limit its cpu cores to leave some for premiere. you can use clips as place holders in premiere or just mark spots on the timeline. once they are done rendering in ae/ame, bring those into premiere to finish off with any premiere effects or coloring.

• 11. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                              johnt53984649 Level 2

I see.  Thanks, I didn't realize that Premiere actually indicated which ones were accelerated, but I see now!

Yes, I was doing uncompressed.  The only reason I haven't tried any of the other formats (yet, I was going to later) was because I didn't recognize any of them.  But, I've made an interesting discovery that actually (at least, right now anyway) makes exporting from After Effects, hopefully, insignificant.

I know that when you make lots of the changes to the settings in these applications, there's usually a message that says that the application must be restarted in order for the changes to take effect.  Even though I didn't see this in After Effects, I did so anyway, as well as Premiere, but still had the problem that, when rendering the comp linked into Premiere, the CPU only used 50 percent.  Even though I had changed the settings to use all 16 of the CPUs (8 real and 8 not), it still didn't take effect.  After restarting my computer, I found that it did use all of the CPU and Premiere could render the linked in composition just fine.  But that makes me wonder.

Since RoninEdits mentioned that "i think its a limitation of premiere and adobe media encoder to not have access to the multiprocessing function of AE, therefore it cripples the render as you are seeing," I wonder if other people have also had problems like these.  See, by restarting the computer, I found that there was nothing wrong with Premiere rendering an AE composition.  But they way you mention it makes me think that other people may have had this issue.  And, if so, have you had any experiences with it yourself?  For example, are there certain things I should avoid if you have had your own experiences with rendering After Effects compositions from within Premiere Pro?

• 12. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

Since RoninEdits mentioned that "i think its a limitation of premiere and adobe media encoder to not have access to the multiprocessing function of AE, therefore it cripples the render as you are seeing," I wonder if other people have also had problems like these.

maybe its a problem i have with the software and others don't? i also wonder if others have the same problem. when you export from premiere, you say it works better, but does it launch multiple AfterFX.exe's or just one to render? and is the cpu maxing 100%?  when i load an ae comp into premiere or directly into ame, it will only activate one AfterFX.exe in the task manager, and the cpu usage is usually around 13%, occasionally bouncing up to 30%. i played with the multiprocessing settings in AE, even turned off and on the computer, but still only one AfterFX.exe. thats what lead me to making that statement, usually others here are quick to point out any inaccuracies.

• 13. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

so i played with AE and AME some more, i might have figured out why you got the sudden boost in performance. as JFPhoton pointed out, AE has some great caching features. so i ram previewed 1/2 of the AE comp, let AE cache the work area in background as disk cache for another 1/4 of the AE comp, and left the last 1/4 with no cache preview whatsoever.  then i closed AE, loaded AME and had it render the AE comp. 3/4 of the render went by super fast, using only 2-8% cpu, then the last 1/4 of the export where there was no cache, performed as before. one AfterFX.exe trying to render the last 1/4, but since its basically a 32bit program in a 64-bit shell, it could only use 2 cores and was stuck down at 13% again. 

• 14. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                    ECBowen Most Valuable Participant

The Render performance with AE linking to Premiere is not a bug or bad programming. That is the limitation of the Dynamic link. Premiere initializes the AE render engine when rendering a comp and that player has to be accessed via a service. The AE instance has to launch as a single instance like it would if you turned Multiframe processing off. AE will still multithread but will not necessarily process multiple frames at the same time which is where you get the best performance for AE and rendering. This limitation of Dynamic link also effects your realtime playback which is why you normally have to render that section of the timeline to play it back well. Premiere has to wait on the data from the AE player before it can process ie decode/encode the data. This adds time ie latency to process each frame. DNxHR is your best bet if Avid included that in the latest Avid codec's LE install for quicktime. If not then Cineform would be the other option but it takes longer than DNxHR. Cineform would be better quality though so the question would be if quality is more important than speed.

Eric

ADK

1 person found this helpful
                                    • 15. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

thanks for confirming my suspicions with the limitations of dynamic link. adobe really needs to modernize AE, this 32-bit crap is ridiculous in 2015. and yes dnxhr is now in the latest quicktime codec pack!

• 16. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

Even if they update AE render engine to a new engine the link limitation wont change. That is there because the render engine ie the player of AE is different than Premiere. Since AE is a compositor and not an editor the requirements of the Render engine are different so it has to have a different player. As long as they do then the processing by the Mercury engine will have to wait on the AE engine to send it the data. The only thing that changes here even when AE is updated would be the amount of frames the linked AE instance will process at the same time and whether AE will have GPU acceleration at some point in the future. That can speed the link processing up especially with multiple frames processed simultaneously but it will still only go so far. AE is no longer a 32bit Render engine btw regardless of previous statements. The single AE instance will cache out to as much ram as the system has available based on the memory management profiles the applications are using for that comp in the timeline at that time. This will always be dynamic.

Eric

ADK

• 17. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

i understand that AE is not premiere, and im not asking for premiere to be able to read the AE comp without dynamic link. we don't need adobe's band-aid work around of multiprocessing (multiple frame rendering), we need AE to be 100% 64-bit code. when that happens the multiprocessing feature will be removed and dynamic link calls to AfterFX.exe will utilize 100% cpu resources on multicore cpu's. AE not having gpu acceleration is another example of its outdated code.

• 18. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

AE multiprocessing is Multiframe processing and not Multithread processing as many believe. AE threads out to as many threads as the systems handle up to the limits of Windows for a processor group. However the multiframe processing is application scheduled and far more aggressive when that is enabled. Otherwise AE will multithread out on 1 or 2 frames versus multiple frames for each instance simultaneously.

Eric

ADK

• 19. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

if any of the 32bit code in AE is triggered, AE will no longer use as many threads as the system can handle. this is a limitation of outdated code in AE and the multiprocessing preference is a work around for that. i understand each AfterFX.exe is actually multiframe processing, but since its processing multiple frames via multiple launches of AfterFX.exe, the combined efforts of those multiple .exe's can then max out the cpu. getting around the low cpu usage of the 32-bit bottleneck.

• 20. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

I have not seen AE limited with threading by anything other than certain codecs or FX. The FX that limit are not 32bit and the codecs have to do with data prediction.

Eric

ADK

• 21. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

its a very common and known problem with AE, adobe staff on here have said that they are working on updating it to address the performance issues.

• 22. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

Please link because I have not seen any information from Adobe pointing to legacy 32Bit code as the limit behind threading.

Eric

ADK

• 23. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

i don't have the link, and i wouldn't even want to try searching for it thru the endless AE performance threads. im not a programer and i dont know exactly what adobe has done to cause this problem. i have seen others call it 32bit code, probably because it behaves that way, with limited cpu cores/threads. if im using the wrong tech vocab, i am willing to address it by the correct name of the problem. whatever the name, it needs to be fixed, the band-aid approach of multiframe rendering to get around the low cpu core/thread usage is terrible. besides the point you confirmed, that it doesn't work with dynamic link causing issues in premiere and ame. i realize that many parts of AE are licensed from other companies and adobe may have very little control over those causing performance issues. therefore the problem may go beyond adobe and may not be resolved for a long time.

• 24. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                        johnt53984649 Level 2

I don't know if it's any help, but I will mention that, when rendering the AE composition from within Premiere, only one instance of After Effects launched, and while rendering from within After Effects, several versions launched.  I'm sure that you know that, based upon reading above, but my experience conforms with the idea.

Also, since I don't really know much about how these programs work either, is it possible, or even remotely likely, that these "Dynamic Link Limitations" will be overcome anytime soon?  Dynamic Link is very important to me, but that makes me curious.  I will eventually report back with some information regarding test renders I have, with exact times, rendering a composition from within Premiere and one from within After Effects to see how I'm affected.

• 25. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

i haven't heard of anything from adobe on changes to dynamic link, so i cant really say. i would hope they just fix AE so we dont have to extend the band-aid fix to dynamic link. getting only one instance of AfterFX.exe from dynamic link seems to be the only thing we all agree on so far.

the performance of that single AfterFX.exe, being able to use 100% of the cpu or not, seems to be in question...  i've stated on my pc a single AfterFX.exe when throttled, will only use 13-30% of the cpu, greatly increasing render times in premiere and ame.

if you do any test renders, can you note how the AE cache is effecting them? and what the dynamic link performance is like with and without cache? like i noted several posts back now, in my render dynamic link was able to access the AE cache and therefore changed the speed of the render in AME.

• 26. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                            johnt53984649 Level 2

I haven't done the renders yet, but are you also wanting me to test rendering from within Premiere?  If so, what export settings should I choose to as-closely match what I do in After Effects?

• 27. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

the export settings shouldn't matter, can be what you would normally do from premiere. make a duplicate of the sequence for testing, so you dont loose any work.

these are the rendering tests i would be interested in...

test 1, delete any cache for the AE comp from AE, so premiere cant use it. close AE and then export from premiere.

test 2, continuing with no AE cache, in premiere remove all effects including the speedgrade(lumetri) effect and adjustment layers, then export from premiere.

test 3, open AE and build disk/ram cache in AE for the comp, close AE, then open premiere and export.

Global Performance Cache and Persistent Disk Cache - After Effects Tutorial

for each render, watch to see how AfterFX.exe behaves. cpu usage may vary for each test, would be good to see what cpu % AfterFX.exe averages or ranges. you originally reported it using only 45%. on test 3 with the AE cache built, the AfterFX.exe cpu usage should be low and export fast. when premiere is exporting and not on a part of the timeline that has an AE comp, premiere should try to max out the cpu usage and AfterFX.exe should be at 0%.

• 28. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                johnt53984649 Level 2

I've only had time for one test so far, and it'll be a while before I can do the other tests (tomorrow or three days from now) but this is what I have achieved so far, basically your "Test 1":

I used a different clip, with Pixel Motion.  Basically, I turned footage recorded in 30 FPS to 60 FPS to give it a smoother effect (it turned out quite nicely) for the entire duration of 10 minutes and 55 seconds.  It was natively provided to me as an MP4 video, with an audio track, but no audio was rendered.  As well as Pixel Motion, Corner Pin was also used for the whole clip (this was all done in After Effects).

There was no Disk Cache enabled and no RAM previews had been created, and it was sent over to Premiere.  I exported it from there.

Unfortunately, only 70% of the CPU was being used while 40% of RAM (AE used about 65% while Premiere used about 5% of the CPU).  It hovered around this for the entire duration of the export, and it took 1 hour, 6 minutes, and 39 seconds.  After this, I'm intrigued to export it directly from After Effects to see what happens.  Only one instance of After Effects was launched, yet again, when exporting from Premiere.  My AE settings looked like this:

gr8rVW6.png

I'll do the other tests as soon as I can, but I should mention that I checked this setting before I rendered, and it said that the "Actual CPUs that will be used: 3" instead of 8.  I'm not sure what changed since then, I haven't even restarted the computer since the export.  This image was taken after the export upon re-opening After Effects.

• 29. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

no rush on the render tests, i dont want to take away time from you getting work done. you could try lowering the ram per cpu in AE, that should bring up the cpu's being used from 8 to 12 or 16. its trial an error to find what works best for the AE comp, but 1.5-2gb per cpu is a good starting place for HD material.

i tested an AE comp in premiere a bit more, turns out premiere uses the AE cache for playback as well, not just for rendering the export out of premiere. this allowed for smooth playback while editing. best of all it even allowed me to place a premiere color correction effect on the clip and retain smooth playback. premiere was also able to use the AE cache to render previews, in case i had placed too many premiere effects on the AE comp to allow smooth playback. once again i only allowed AE to cache part of the clip, once i got to a spot of the clip without cache, premieres playback of the clip was crippled. i could see AfterFX.exe cpu usage rise as it tried to render the missing cached frames, but it was too slow and premiere just showed the last cached frame in the program monitor as the playback head moved past the AE comp.

update: ran across this tread, Re: PPro with AE dynamic links slow to render.  it confirms the limitations of dynamic link using a single AfterFX.exe, and users experiencing the limitations of that single AfterFX.exe to use all cpu resources. the interesting new information was about the cache, the ram preview cache in AE must be set to full, for premiere to use it for smooth playback or fast rendering.

• 30. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                    johnt53984649 Level 2

I had one detail wrong in the test above.  I didn't realize it, but I actually only ended up rendering 8:53 seconds of the full video.  The other details are correct.

I did a new test, using the exact same effects but instead for the entire duration of 10:55 AND from within After Effects.  While After Effects was running, 8 "background processes" of After Effects showed up, and CPU usage was at 100% for the entire time.  The render time was shorter, at 58:53, even though I actually rendered almost two minutes more worth of Corner Pinned Pixel Motioned footage.  So it looks like Dynamic Link does have limitations.  I don't know why sometimes it's fine and other times it isn't.

• 31. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                      johnt53984649 Level 2

I'm having some really bad issues now.  I have no idea why, but it seems like whenever I export ANYTHING from Premiere, the CPU isn't being used to 100% anymore.  The only place I can get 100% CPU usage is from within After Effects.  For example, when I exported that massive .avi file from After Effects to use in Premiere Pro, whenever I rendered that clip on its own (without any effects applied to it whatsoever) just in an effort to convert it to .mp4, it not only took 30 minutes (for the 11 minute clip) but the CPU usage was also only around 17% the entire time.  This wasn't even with any issues with Dynamic Link and was all Premiere Pro.  Same thing with Media Encoder.  About 50% of the RAM was used, and the SSDs or HDDs that I had the source footage located on in different test renders had no effect on this whatsoever.  I have tried optimizing Premiere for Performance and for Memory but that changed nothing as well.  Turning on/off Use Maximum Render Quality and Render at Maximum Depth make no differences either.  I've tried disabling different background applications while rendering to no avail.  Maybe I don't know how Premiere works, but shouldn't it be using more of the CPU?  Remember, it's just 10:55 length of AVI footage with no effects whatsoever, being converted to .mp4 (I've tried using variable and constant bitrate, no difference), but I'm sure that all of the CPU should be being used.  What's the issue here?

• 32. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

premiere should be able to max the cpu. if there is anything on the timeline clips, like adjustment layers, nesting, effects (premiere or third party), dynamic linked clips to AE or other, sometimes one of those can limit premieres performance. so when you tried to export the avi from premiere, was it a new blank project with no effects etc on it? or was it brought into an existing project? if it wasn't a new project, you can try that, to confirm premiere with a clean timline can export the file maxing the cpu. if that works, you may have to troubleshoot the other timeline to see if any effects etc are causing the slow down.

also, premiere uses quicktime for quicktime files, which for windows is only 32bit and behaves with low cpu %. 32bit applications do this because they are not multi cpu aware, and even though the i7-5960X is one physical cpu chip to us, intel has made it using 8 cpu cores that software do see. thats what confuses 32bit applications like quicktime and some of AE and why they are unable to use 100% cpu. the avi file shouldn't be using quicktime, but are you exporting to quicktime format as h264 codec? you can also check the task manager to see if "adobe qt32 server.exe" is being used.

• 33. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                          johnt53984649 Level 2

I see, you're exactly right, "Adobe QT32 Server CC 2014.2 (32 Bit)" is running.  That could explain it, since I started a new, blank project and had the same issue.  Apparently I don't know very much about exporting these files from After Effects, so I should go back there and figure it out.

To be sure, what you're saying is that it's something encoded into the .avi file that's causing Premiere to render so slowly, right? I should also mention that I do not have QuickTime installed on this system at all.  I get the warning every time I open After Effects, but I've never actually been sure what it's required for, since everything still works (although perhaps not as well, I haven't installed it yet).  That could have a significant impact, but I don't know.  I really don't know what codec and all that is being used when I export from After Effects, all I know is "Lossless" and ".avi."

I should mention that I took the source 10:55 mp4 video (29 fps instead of 60) and exported it to mp4 in Premiere, just as a comparison export, which took only 5 minutes and it was using around 64% of the CPU but the 32Bit Quicktime Server was not present.  So that makes me think that there are other problems as well since it didn't use 100%.  But I don't know if GPU acceleration is used at all when there aren't any effects applied, as in this .mp4 to .mp4 test, so I'm not sure if I have other components that are being used in place of the CPU.  I used an EVGA application to check GPU activity while rendering this one, and saw nothing change, so I'm assuming that there's something else I may have to fix to attain 100% CPU usage as well.

• 34. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

the adobe qt32 sever.exe will be opened along with premiere, you can see it in the task manager while premiere is starting, before any projects/media are loaded. so it being open doesn't mean its being "used", you would have to watch the cpu% of the adobe qt32 server.exe. if it has some constant usage while playing the timeline or exporting, then its being used. if its open but the cpu usage % of adobe qt32 server.exe is sitting at zero the whole time, its not being used, and shouldn't be the problem.

avi files are from microsoft, vs quicktime from apple. the avi file should not have anything to do with quicktime, or as you say, encoded into it. so for that part of exporting from AE, it shouldn't be causing this problem in premiere. if you are exporting from premiere as format: quicktime, codec: h.264 then premiere will try to use quicktime/adobe qt32 server to make the new .mov file. if you are exporting from premiere as format: h.264, then it should not be using qt32 server.

my understanding with mp4 and gpu is premiere will only use the gpu to read the mp4 files on the timeline, not export/write new mp4. i tested a mp4 file on a new timeline and exported without adding any effects. premiere cpu usage was bouncing between 50-70% and gpu was between 10-20%. adobe qt32 server.exe was zero % the entire time. this was kind of surprising to me, i would have thought premiere would have been 100%...   i tried exporting as quicktime, this took longer as qt32 server was only able to use around 40% cpu usage. therefore the gpu usage while still active, was a bit lower as it didn't have to read the timeline mp4 as fast. the important note doing the quicktime export was premiere was only around 5% cpu usage, which means on the first test when premiere was 50-70%, 45-65% of that was the h264 encoder. the h264 encoder may be licensed software that like quicktime, adobe cannot control.

next i tried adding some effects to the premiere timeline. some brought the cpu usage up to 90% as it gave more work for premiere to do, some brought premiere down to 40% as these effects appeared to suffer from multithreading. so bottom line, i couldn't get premiere to use 100% cpu either, looks like adobe needs to work on the code for premiere as well as AE, but at least i can get premiere to 90% vs 17% of AE. lesson learned for AE is to either export from AE and bring into premiere, or render full size cache in AE for premiere to use. either way in AE will allow for the multiprocessing feature to be used and speed up the export from premiere.

• 35. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                              johnt53984649 Level 2

Hmm, well, when rendering the .avi file, none of the QuickTime 32Bit application was using any of hte CPU; all 17% was Premiere.  But that's still really, really low.  I can't understand why that is.  Maybe that's just a software limitation, I guess?  To me, it makes me think that Premiere just can't give enough to the CPU for it to do, so it's lower.  That's really frustrating.

Also, keep in mind, this 30 minute render (in Premiere) is just rendering what I exported from After Effects.  So I don't even know if that's worth it.

• 36. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

Premiere just can't give enough to the CPU for it to do, so it's lower

thats sort of it... while premiere is exporting, many things are happening under the hood. it only takes one of the many things happening all at once, to drag down the rest of premiere. so for example, if the encoder part of the export function is limited, like when using quicktime, then premiere has to wait on that part. or when using dynamic link to AE, premiere may have to wait for AE and that can slow down premiere. exporting an avi may be using some part of microsoft's software to encode, those usually get installed with windows media codecs. i tried exporting as avi, with a few different codecs. most of them crippled premiere at under 10% cpu, while uncompressed avi let it run in the 80's%.

the main thing is to get a sense of how well premiere is working when exporting, if its stuck down at 17%, then you need to find some way to get the performance up. whether that means the AE workarounds, different export formats/codecs & settings, different media format/codecs in the timeline, or different premiere effects used. once you find whats slowing down premiere, you can then look for an alternative to increase premiere's performance.

• 37. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

RoninEdits wrote: its a very common and known problem with AE, adobe staff on here have said that they are working on updating it to address the performance issues.

ECBowen wrote:

Please link because I have not seen any information from Adobe pointing to legacy 32Bit code as the limit behind threading.

Eric

ADK

a little late, but i ran across this today  features not available in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5) | After Effects region of interest

• Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously (Multiprocessing)

The Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously feature has been superseded by the new architecture in After Effects CC 2015 (13.5). The new architecture will allow a future version of After Effects to utilize processor threads and RAM more efficiently than the Render Multiple Frames Simultaneously functionality ever could.

looks like they are finally going to fix AE, one step back for now, then two steps forward when the new architecture is ready. i guess they added caching, similar to node cache in other programs too, but cant find where i read/saw that now.

• 38. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources
                                                                                    johnt53984649 Level 2

Hmm, I haven't updated yet.  The description makes it sound as if the new architecture is already available but you make it sound like it's not ready yet.  Have you tried it yet, and what parts aren't quite ready?

• 39. Re: Premiere Pro Doesn't Use All Resources

i dont use AE very often, so just ran across this stuff yesterday. looks like they have removed the band-aid fix "multiprocessing", in order to move forward with new architecture that should fix the program's multi-thread problems. but that hasn't been completed yet, just a work in progress. one step back is cc2015, two steps forward will be a future release. so right now its bad to work in AE cc2015 as the band-aid fix is gone but its still broken... the ae forums seem to be suggesting using cc2014 or at least have AE cc2014 do the render. there doesn't seem to be many new features in AE cc2015, so may not be worth updating. if you haven't updated premiere or speedgrade, wait for some patches, as they have their own new problems too.

1 2 Previous Next