6 Replies Latest reply on Jun 9, 2015 5:24 AM by rob day

Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?

kilgoretrout

I have a rectangle with rounded corners (using corner options). I try to drag one corner with the direct selection tool, but instead of dragging the corner, it moves the whole rectangle AND converts the corners to two bezier points! Same thing happens if I add a point on the edge with the Pen tool.

Is this intentional behaviour? I just migrated from CS5.5 and this issue makes CC pretty much unusable for me.

• 1. Re: Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?
          vladan saveljic Level 4

this function was also in cs 5.5

direct selection tool allow you to edit path, to adjust path segment, etc.

what did you mean with "instead of dragging the corner..."? what did you want to do?

Maybe you wanted to use selection tool instead of direct selection tool

• 2. Re: Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?
            kilgoretrout Level 1

I'm baffled now I reinstalled CS5.5 and it does work the same way indeed. I have no idea how I never encountered this before..

What I was trying to do is draw a rectangle, then round its corners with Corner Options, then drag one corner point with the Direct Selection tool to make it non rectangular. When I do this, instead of moving one corner point, this moves the whole object and converts the corner points into two bezier points.

If, on the other hand, I first draw a rectangle, then drag one corner point with the Direct Selection tool and finally round the corners with Corner Options, it does not convert the corners. I just don't understand why I need to use this workaround -- I see no reason why the tool works this, in my opinion totally unintuitive, way.

I'd be glad to be enlightened about this

• 3. Re: Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?
              Eugene Tyson Adobe Community Professional & MVP

The points need to be converted to Beizier curves to allow any direct selection or adding or removing of points, otherwise how else would it work?

You can of course select the yellow icon on the corner to make a rounded corner, but you can also move this individually by holding down the Shift Key then click and drag the icon.

• 5. Re: Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?
                kilgoretrout Level 1

I'm sorry, I must have not been clear when explaining the issue.. I'll try to explain again

Compare these (see picture below):

A & B:

1) I draw rectangle A with the Rectangle Tool .

2) I select one corner point with the Direct Selection tool (only that point is selected, others are white)

3) I move the corner point to some random direction.

4) I now have the shape B, with four corner points

C & D:

1) I draw rectangle B with the Rectangle Tool.

2) I round the corners with the Corner Options (can be done exactly as Oscar explains above, that's not the issue) -- let's say I set the radius at 5mm.

3) I select one corner point with the Direct Selection tool.

4) I try to move the corner point. Instead the whole object moves and each corner point is converted to two bezier points (D).

5) Then, if I wish to move one corner, I'll have to select both bezier points, move them and then adjust the handles so that the rounded corner is the correct shape and radius. Not practical.

E & F:

1) I draw a rectangle with the Rectangle Tool .

2) I select one corner point with the Direct Selection tool (only that point is selected, others are white)

3) I move the corner point to some random direction.

4) I round the corners with the Corner Options.

5) I now have the shape E, with rounded corners and four corner points.

6) I select one corner point with the Direct Selection tool (only that point is selected, others are white)

7) I move the corner point to some random direction.

4) I now have the shape F, with four corner points. I can stretch and bend this as much as I want, and there still are only four corner points, with the radius I set.

rect_bez_etc.jpg

Do you understand my question now? I can't understand why the behaviour is different when the object is rectangular.  And of course there is a workaround -- just set the corner options to "None" before moving any points. I just don't see the benefit in this behaviour..?

• 6. Re: Why does direct selection tool convert rounded corners to bezier points?
                  rob day Adobe Community Professional & MVP
                  I just don't see the benefit in this behaviour..?

Corner options are part of a frame's style, so it gives you the option to globally change the dimensions and shapes of the corners via an Object Style or scripting. If you draw a rounded corner frame from scratch and make copies of the frame, your drawn corners could not be globally adjusted via a style. So there needs to be a distinction between a drawn and styled corner.

With the Direct Selection tool you can pull out a corner to a random shape but that disconnects it from a corner style and Corner Options no longer work

sel1.png

sel.png

Screen Shot 2015-06-09 at 8.12.50 AM.png