11 Replies Latest reply on Jun 10, 2015 10:10 AM by A.T. Romano

Unable to burn to DVD

jimg1611

Purchased Elements 13 last week.  Created first project and burned successfully to DVD. Wasn't happy with some of the clips (too long) so I trimmed some of them and also changed the menu theme.  Now I am unable to burn again to DVD!.  I have reformatted the original (DVD-RW) but always now get Burn interrupted error and a reference to an ISO image which doesn't exist!  The problem occurs during the final step ie the menus and encoding have completed but during the final 'burn ti DVD' step it crashes at about 4% complete.  Have tried burning to hard disk and this completes but the folder I output to is empty!  I have Windows 8.1 and a i& laptop with 8GB RAM and pleny of hard drive space.  I am getting very frustrated with this software as there is no indication of what is causing the problem!  As it burned to DVD on the first attempt and all I have done is trim some clips I'm not sure why I am getting this error all of a sudden.  I have read many of the posts and tried unchecking the Intel HD 2000 graphics box in preferences but it still doesn't work.  Help!!  I have wasted hours on this!

• 1. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
          PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,
          Could you tell us what is the graphics adapter in your machine where you see this problem? Go to Device Manager -> Expand "Display Adaptor" and let us know what you see there.

You can also make the change in the preference, save the project, relaunch the app and then open this same project. Does the burn succeed this time?

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 2. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
            jimg1611 Level 1

Hi.  I have Intel Graphics 4600 and NVIDIA GeForce GT750M showing in Device Manager.  What am I supposed to change in preferences exactly?

• 3. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
              PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi,

Go to Edit -> Preferences -> General and turn off the "Use Hardware acceleration (works...)" setting and then restart the app to reopen the project.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 4. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                jimg1611 Level 1

Thanks.  I had already unchecked this box based on reading other posts so it can't be that unfortunately.

• 5. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                  A.T. Romano Level 7

jimg1611

Several factors to rule in or out....the no folder or .iso file is disturbing especially in view that disabling the Intel HD Graphics 2000 or Higher did not impact the issue. Putting that aside for the moment...

1. You say that you reformatted the DVD-RW disc. What do you mean by that? Did you insert the DVD-RW disc with content into the burner tray and did you give the Premiere Elements burn permission to erase the prior content before it began the burn to?

2. You say is that you replaced the Movie Menu in the Movie Menu customization area. Did you hit Reset to get rid of the existing menu or did you go directly to the Movie Menu button to the left of Reset in order to select the new menu?

a. Where there any red frames buttons in the Movie Menu customization display of your menu?

b. In the Edit area, were the Timeline menu markers placed so that the buttons were not essentially on one another?

3. You say that you trimmed some videos. In the Edit area, if you expand the Timeline content with the -+ slider above the Timeline and inspect all the tracks (opened), do you see any gaps or leftovers in the area spanned by the Work Area Bar or in the area after the end of the Timeline content. Press the computer keyboard End key and note where it stops - at the end of the Timeline content or beyond. If beyond, then that is the place to start looking for debris.

The above might have been factors involved in the original could not burn to disc issue. All else that followed might have been secondary to that.

At this time, for troubleshooting purposes, can you take that Timeline and export it to file saved to the computer hard drive....Publish+Share/Computer/MPEG with Presets = NTSC DVD Standard or NTSC DVD Widescreen whichever is consistent with your project settings.

Please consider.

Thank you.

ATR

• 6. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                    A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Since you have generously entered this thread, I would ask you to address the matter of the rationale behind putting the .iso image (backup) for failed burn to disc products into the 13.1 Update.

Many have found, myself included, that Publish+Share/Disc/ route using ISO Image by itself is flawed. If the .iso image produced in the intended burn to ISO Image is over 1 GB file size, the disc that subsequently uses that file is not recognized by the disc player.

ATR Premiere Elements Troubleshooting: PE 13: ISO Image File Size Issue

Consequently, the user who has a failed burn to can be facing

a. .iso file (offered as backup) that cannot be found

as well as

b. iso file, if found, cannot be used if its file size is over 1 GB.....particularly a problem for burn to Blu-ray where there is not burn to folder, only burn to ISO Image as the alternative to burn to disc.

Any comments on this would be appreciated.

As always, thank you for your time and information sharing.

ATR

• 7. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                      PRE_help Adobe Employee

Hi ATR,

Three questions:

1. Why ISO for a failed disc burn?

The reason we found that the DVD burn fails in most user scenarios is the hardware. By hardware, we mean a combination of the disc type + burner + cabling + drivers + drive firmware. Till Premiere Elements 13, before the patch, a failure because of this would mean that the whole process of encoding menus + the video content will have to be re-done and still there was no increase in a chance that it could be successful this time around. What we have done in the 13.1 patch is that as soon as we detect that there is a hardware failure after encoding is done, we burn an ISO image of the timeline immediately. The purpose is to ensure that the ISO can now be burnt to disc separately, with the multiple free utilities available or indeed by the OS itself. We understand that not all failures are because of some fault in the hardware, but for those that are, we want this to be seen as a feature that detects the failure and creates an ISO burn as a back-up. We internally are not surprised that this feature is getting exercised so many times, we always believed that the DVD Burn failures were not entirely because of the factors that we can control.

2. ISO file cannot be found.

We have internally seen this case with Intel HD Graphics series 4xxx and have confirmed through multiple reports in the forum that this is seen in machines which have Intel HD Graphics 2000 or higher. This issue is because of Premiere Elements attempting to accelerate the Disc encoding through this Intel hardware. We know for sure that the latest Intel display drivers do not have this issue, but users need to update to the latest Intel display drivers. Or turn the Intel based acceleration feature Off. Turning it Off has worked for most of the users. Updating the Intel display drivers should work too.

3. An ISO more than 1 GB does not play back in an external player.

We are aware of this issue and are treating it as a bug. This will be rectified in a future release.

Regards,

Premiere Elements Team

• 8. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                        A.T. Romano Level 7

PRE_help

Thanks for the insights into the Premiere Elements 13/13.1 burn to matters.

Appreciated.

ATR

• 9. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                          A.T. Romano Level 7

jimg

Back in post numbered 5, I suggested some factors for you to explore in your troubleshooting, thinking that your Intel HD Graphics 2000 and Higher discussion with PRE_help was concluded because you wrote that the status of the Intel HD Graphics preference made no difference in your issues. However, PRE_help mentions video card/graphics card driver version as a companion question to that of the preference matter (please refer to post 7).

Consequently, after you have ruled in or out video card/graphics card driver version dating as well, only then please consider exploring what I wrote in post 5.

Thank you.

ATR

• 10. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                            jimg1611 Level 1

Update on DVD Burning issue......Last night I created a slideshow using Photoshop Elements 13 (with audio track) and exported this to a movie clip.  I then added this to the end of my project (to end my video with)  and tried to burn the new video to disk and it worked!!!  I hadn't made any other edits other than adding the slideshow clip at the end of the video.  The ONLY thing I changed this time was that when I selected to burn to DVD this time I unchecked the box to 'use the full DVD' and used the slider control to determine how far I could increase video quality before I got a disk space error - in other words I manually determined the resolution rather than letting PSE13 determine it for me.  Not sure why this has now worked and as long as it continues to work I dont mind what caused the problems in the first place.  However I am curious though!

• 11. Re: Unable to burn to DVD
                              A.T. Romano Level 7

jimg

Great news. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

From your description, it sounds like you worked with "Fit Content to Available Space" disabled (no check mark next to it). That would have allowed you to use the Quality section slider to set Space Required and Bitrate. After you got finished with those adjustments, what final Space Required and Bitrate under the Quality section slider?

Typically I do the burn to DVD with check mark next to Fit Content to Available Space. The only time I leave that option unchecked is when I get a Data Rate issue message and need to set the Bitrate manually to a lower value than the max 8.00 Mbps in order to be able to continue in the burn to. And, I rarely have to do the manual setting of the bitrate.

What were the counterpart Space Required and Bitrate values...

"Fit to...." option with check mark

"Fit to..." option without check mark where you used the Quality area slider to set Space Required and Bitrate

Looking forward to your additional information when your schedule permits.

Thank you.

ATR