The latest Flash Player 18 beta builds are now available. Beta builds can be downloaded from labs.adobe.com.
New Features for Flash Player 18:
- Improve Flash Player Install Process
We have had consistent feedback from our customers that they prefer not to shut down their browser(s) to simply install Flash Player. This feature attempts to remove this requirement whenever possible. On the Macintosh, the installer will no longer display a dialog to shutdown the currently running browsers or applications that are using Flash Player. In most cases, the same is true on Windows. However, on Windows, if a user is performing a "re-install" of the same version of Flash Player, the installer will require that the application using Flash Player be closed so that files can be unlocked and overwritten.
Once the installation is completed, the user is notified that the browser may need to be restarted to use the newly installed version. This restart requirement is dependent on the browser. For example, Mozilla Firefox does not require a restart. Simply refreshing the webpage or opening a new tab in Firefox will detect and use the new Flash Player version. Other browser may end up using the previously installed version of Flash Player until a restart is performed. We will continue to work with the browser vendors to remove this restriction and reduce restarts as much as possible.
- Audio APIs added to Flash Player NPAPI
We have added the ability for NPAPI compatible browsers and applications to query the player and detect if audio is currently being played and the ability to mute. This new feature will allow applications to alert the user if audio is being played and give them the ability to mute, even if the Flash content does not.
- Stage3D - Standard Extended Profile for Desktop
In version 17 Standard Extended Profile was introduced on iOS and Android devices which support GLES3. In version 18, Standard Extended Profile support is added for Flash Player and AIR Desktop. It is represented by a new constant ‘STANDARD_EXTENDED’ in the Context3DProfile class. This constant can be used in the requestContext3D and requestContext3DMatchingProfiles methods of Stage3D. The “standardExtended” profile can only be accessed if the swf version is 28 or more.
- Browser Zoom Factor for PPAPI Plugin and non-Win 8x ActiveX
We've introduced a feature that proposes scaling of Flash content in the web browser in response to web page zoom factor change. This feature was already present for Internet Explorer on Window 8.x. In Flash Player 18, it now supports PPAPI (Opera and Chrome) and Internet Explorer on Windows 7 and below.
For complete details, please see our Release Notes.
- Corrects an injection in 184.108.40.206 that causes improperly encoded Nellymoser streams to play back at a fast rate (3970536)
- Mac 10.6.8 - Corrects an issue where keystrokes were not received when the input language was CHT (Canjie, New Quick, Phonetic) (3809685)
- Mac, Safari - Corrects an injection in 220.127.116.115 that caused a hang on some content (3955834) (AAPL 20218614)
- Windows 8.1, Firefox Nightly - Right-clicking on JWPlayer videos no longer causes Flash Player to hang (3835579)
- PPAPI Linux - Resolves rendering problems with Stage3D/StageVideo content with several Stage3D/StageVideo instances (3924242)
- Camera output shows black screen on Firefox & Safari.(3980552)
- Multiple Stability and Security Fixes
About the Beta Channel
Beta Versions of Flash Player are available for automatic installation via our Background Update service. Please subscribe to automatically install or receive update availability notifications at runtime