Today we're pleased to announce that the next version of AIR is available for immediate download. AIR 18 adds both new features and important bug fixes for the desktop and mobile platforms!
Below are some of the key features and benefits of AIR 18. Please see our release notes for full details.
- Stage3D - Standard Extended Profile for Desktop
In version 17, Standard Extended Profile was introduced on iOS and Android devices that support GL ES3. In version 18, Standard ExtendedProfile support is added for Flash Player and AIR Desktop. It is represented by a new constant ‘STANDARD_EXTENDED’ in the Context3DProfile class. This constant can be used in the requestContext3D and requestContext3DMatchingProfiles methods of Stage3D. The standardExtended profile can only be accessed if the SWF version is 28 or newer.
- VideoTexture Support for Android
The hugely popular VideoTexture feature has come to Android! Introduced in version 17 for iOS and desktop, the team has been hard at work and has now brought the full power and functionality of this feature to Android devices.
VideoTexture is an ActionScript feature that allows hardware-accelerated video to be used as a source texture in a Stage3D environment. Previously, using video with Stage3D requires the use of the Video object, which is not accelerated, and manipulation of the bitmap representations of the video frames. VideoTexture allows direct access to a texture object that is sourced from a Netstream or Camera object. Please see the VideoTexture blog post for implementation details.
- Build Number in AIR iOS
This feature allows developers to simply update the build number while keeping the version number the same so that their application is available quickly on Apple’s Testflight for beta testing.
- ADT Packaging Time Improvement with Support for Parallel Compilation for iOS
Air 18 introduces multi-threading support with the compiler for even faster build times. With this improvement, we have gained 20% improvement in packaging time on the top of last improvement which was made in Air 17!
- ETC2 Support for ATF
With OpenGL ES 3.0 a new texture compression technique, ETC2 (Ericsson Texture Compression 2), was introduced as a standard feature.
ATF (Adobe Texture Format) is a container format provided by Adobe for different compression formats supported by different platforms. It previously supported three gpu texture compression formats; DXT1/5(desktop), ETC1 (Ericsson Texture Compression 1) (Android) and PVRTC (iOS). In AIR SDK 18, ETC2 support has been added (Ericsson Texture Compression 2) in ATF. Now app developers can use ATF with ETC2 on both Android and iOS devices that are OpenGL ES 3.0 compliant.
- [iOS] ld error “ld: in , unsupported address encoding (13) of personality function in CIE for architecture arm64 Compilation failed while executing : ld64 on packaging with WIN SDK. (Bug 3950027)
- [Android] Cannot obtain contex3d in nexus 6 and samsung note 4 having Lollipop 5.1 (3967293
- [iOS] Error occurred while installing the application:Installation Error: PackageExtractionFailed on iOS from Flash Builder (3963902)
- [Android] "Error #3672: Buffer creation failed" while calling createVertexBuffer() to a Texture on Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (3960859)
- [Android] "Texture format mismatch" while uploading BitmapData to a Texture on Samsung Galaxy Tab (3959595)
- [iOS] App crashes when getting and setting booleans through interfaces. (3964980)
- [Android] Application crashes on playing any flv video using stage video (Bug 3976878)
- [iOS] When a simple App is created with just one List box, it works on the Desktop, but not on iOS. (3979411)
- [Android] Application with video texture applied, flickers on start up. (3965105)
- [Android] Camera miniature is display at top-left corner when StageVideo video is playback whereas working on desktop. (3950651)
- [Android] Camera continous auto focus feature not work on Android even Camera.setMode property set. (3970215)
- [iOS] Parameter firstLine must be non-null" Error on using TLFTextField (3986791)
- [Android] Gamepad does not come up when the device is shaken.
- [Android] Camera flickers continuously on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7 Inch ( 3974103)
- [Android] Multiple Hardware accelerated video cannot be played simultaneously (3972400)[Android] FLV video is not working on render modes GPU and Direct while working fine on CPU render mode only with both Mac and Win AIRSDK. (3948210)
- ASC 2.0 -inline=true: Compiler crashes with Exception "Generated byte code contains an operand stack underflow." (3979134)
- Press Alt+Enter in mx:textinput results in a new line (3936186)
- Multiple security and functional fixes
- [Android]: On unloading multiple video textures, video unloads but audio keeps playing.(3988675)
- [Android] Green strip appears at bottom of video texture for hardware accelerated videos on lenovo yoga tablet. (3988668)
- [iOS] Portrait keyboard appears in a landscape application on coming back from a camera roll UI, when device is kept on a flat surface. (3939049)
- [Win]: The IPA file does not get generated on the respective iOS devices while publishing 'AIR for iOS' with localized file name OR having localized character in path of provisioning file. (3941829)
- [iOS] Application orientation changes from portrait to landscape , if device is rotated to landscape while browsing gallery. (3993869)
- [Android] App is opening to upside position when phone/tablet is rotated to 90 clockwise position and then a landscape orientated app is launched from that position. (3992477)
- [iOS] App Crash if it tries to write a value to an uninitialised vector. (3990377)
- [iOS Device]Error #3747: Multiple application domains are not supported on this operating system.Execution halted in at 0xffffffff (3990014)
- [Android]: Rear Camera output from x86 device (AMD or Intel) is blurred having red areas however front camera having no such issues. (3994433)
- ASC2.0 compiled app reports a Type Coercion error with MovieClips in SWC (3578605)
- Graphical glitches when rotating an element inside of a sprite on Windows (3949851)
- PopUp shows data from the background main screen. (3945060)
- Frequent disconnects for AIR applications on Windows (3987532)
AIR 18 runtime for Windows: 126.96.36.199 Runtime Download
AIR 18 runtime for Macintosh: 188.8.131.52 Runtime Download
AIR 18 SDK & Compiler for Windows: 184.108.40.206 SDK & Compiler Download
AIR 18 SDK & Compiler for Macintosh: 220.127.116.11 SDK & Compiler Download
Note: To provide all the all the necessary tools for our developers in one place and avoid having to download multiple components, we are packaging Adobe AIR 18 SDK and ActionScript Compiler 2.0 in a single SDK called “Adobe AIR 18 SDK & Compiler”.
AIR SDK 18 (Compatible with Flex) for Windows: 18.104.22.168 SDK Windows Download
AIR SDK 18 (Compatible with Flex) for Macintosh: 22.214.171.124 SDK Macintosh Download
Previous versions of the AIR runtime and SDK can be found on the Archived AIR SDK and Runtimes page