13 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2015 10:53 AM by dj_paige

Color shift in Lightroom 5

garyhmlee Level 1

Hi,

I recently installed Win 8 and then installed the Light Room 5. However, I found that the raw photos loaded in Light Room became yellowish. When I converted a photo from raw to jpeg. The jpeg photo was normal. No color shift. I also used another computer with Win 7. The raw photos in Light Room were normal. Also no color shift. This seriously affects my photo editing. The edited jpeg photos are not same as those I am editing in Light Room. Could you please help to solve it. Thanks a lot.

Gary

Light Room Color Shift Problem.jpg

• 1. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
          dj_paige Level 9

Probably one computer's monitor is calibrated differently than the other computer's monitor. The fact that the histogram isn't gray also indicates the monitor needs to be properly calibrated.

• 2. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
            garyhmlee Level 1

Thanks dj_paige.

I am afraid it's not related to the monitor as Win 7 and Win 8 use the same monitor. The jpeg converted from Light Room and the raw file viewed in Light Room in Win 8 are different. But the same files in Win 7 are the same. The histogram in Win 7 is white and histogram in Win 8 is yellowish.

• 3. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
              dj_paige Level 9

Yes it is the calibration, not the monitor itself. That's the cause of all of your symptoms. The calibration is stored in the computer, and apparently the Win 8 computer is using a different (and uncalibrated) monitor profile than the Win 7 computer is using.

• 4. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                garyhmlee Level 1

Sorry, I still don't get the point as when I open the same raw photo in Photoshop in Win 8, there is no color shift and when I use any photo viewer to view the same photos (raw and converted jpeg), there is also no color shift. Only Light Room has color shift in editing. I have checked all setting in Light Room, there is no related setting. BTW, where can I calibrate the computer in Win 8? Thanks.

• 5. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                  andrewfreeman Level 3

Welcome to the wonderful world of colour management :-)

The monitor is calibrated using a physical device, like one of these:

B&H Photo Video

It creates a profile on the computer  that is then used by colour managed applications to display the colours "correctly" between applications. I use the term correctly loosely as it depends on monitor quality. Perhaps consistently would be a better term. Be careful with different applications: some use no colour management whatsoever, and some do, so you still might get differences when you have calibrated.

Here's a bit of light reading about colour management:

brief explanation of colour management

And calibration:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/viewing.html

• 6. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                    garyhmlee Level 1

Dear andrewfreeman,

Thank you so much for your information. In fact, I don't think if there is any problem in the monitor color calibration. As I said before, using the same monitor, same photos, same version of Light Room and Photoshop but only different OS (Win 8 vs Win 7), the photos have different color. In addition, under Win 8, same photo in LR and PS but color is different. Under Win 7, same photo in LR and PS. Color is same. If the monitor has not yet been calibrated, color shift should have happened to both Win 7 and Win 8 or both LR and PS. Why does it just happen in LR under Win 8? Even other photo viewer (e.g. fast stone viewer) under Win 7 and Win 8, no color shift. I am very frustrated.

• 7. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                      dj_paige Level 9

Well, if you aren't going to calibrate the monitor on the Win 8 computer, then I wish you luck in finding a different answer, I doubt you'll find one; and honestly, you're ignoring the most likely reason for color shift.

• 8. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                        garyhmlee Level 1

May be I couldn't explain my situation clearly in English. I am not negating calibration. I just don't understand why using the same monitor to run LR in Win 8, the photo is seen yellowish in editing mode of LR but the color is normal after exported it? When using PS, the photo is normal in both editing mode and output.

Then I think if I calibrate the monitor to bluish, the photo shows in LR will become normal. Then I guess the exported photo will be bluish !

In my concept, if color shift happens in all software, I must re-calibrate the monitor. I don't understand why color shift only happens in one software and why color back to normal when it is output from this software?

Thank you very much for your time to explain to me. If I have any new finding, I will let you know. Thanks.

• 9. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                          dj_paige Level 9

I just don't understand why using the same monitor to run LR in Win 8, the photo is seen yellowish in editing mode of LR but the color is normal after exported it?

Calibration is a file in your computer that is used to determine how to display different colors on the screen. The fact that its the same monitor is irrelevant. It is a different computer, using a different calibration file.

As far as the color being off in Lightroom but correct after export, Lightroom is a program that uses the calibration, while most other programs do not use the calibration file. So, fixing the calibration fixes the color in Lightroom.

• 10. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                            dj_paige Level 9

By the way, you'd spend less time just doing the calibration than questioning why you should do it.

How To Calibrate in Windows 7/Windows 8 - How to Calibrate Your Monitor | PCMag.com

• 11. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                              garyhmlee Level 1

That's the point I was still asking the same. I didn't understand the situation and hence I didn't know the way to fix it. Thanks for your explanation and link for my following up. Thanks.

• 12. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                                garyhmlee Level 1

After followed the calibration, the opened LR had not changed but... when I closed it and re-opened it, the color is correct now! It's like a magic!

Thanks a lot! And I am able to enjoy Win 8. Thank you very much!

• 13. Re: Color shift in Lightroom 5
                                  dj_paige Level 9

Whew! That's a relief!